Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM
rlawless
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel weights

Does anyone else have this problem, wheel weights (the stick on type) keep coming off wheels. I live in Phoenix and it does get really hot on the road and in my garage. The weights seperate from the tape that holds the weight to the wheel. I have no experience with dyna beads. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM
harlowr
Advanced

Some say dyna beads don't work or are just a gimic. I had them put in my rear tire last year. Bike rides smooth. Don't notice any vibration or anything. I will keep using them myself.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Wheel balancing

I had same problem. My 'BEAUTY' rests in a building with temp up to 105 or so. Adhesive strips would melt and release and no amount of cleaning the chrome? wheels and installing new strips would work. Took a while to get the Dyna Beads in but do see see an improvement in the ride. >500 miles and I like. My trouble with the beads was failure to get the tire off the floor. That figgured out and they went it as instructed. Plan to use them on car and truck also. I'm told they never wear out and can be re-used on next tire purchase. Remove and reuse may be more than the tire guys in my area can handle.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I have ran Dyna Beads for years, they always work. I mount my own tires, and have never had a balance issue. I do not run wheel weights at all.

I just ordered my first set of tires for this ride, and orderd dyna beads to put in them. In the past, (on my VTX) when I started using Dyna Beads, I noticed a big difference in the smoothness of the ride, and the front tire cupping decreased.

I have spokes and run tubes, and reuse the tubes with the beads in them until they are no longer good. When that happens I cut open the tube and re use the beads.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 08-18-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM
webbdog8
Road Captain

wow i learned something new

Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen on the front wheel of my new CVO Ultra. Harley ended up replacing my front fender. The weights seperated from the adhesive backing. This happened on the road in March, so in my case, heat wasn't an issue. I went with dyna beads.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by harlowr
Some say dyna beads don't work or are just a gimic. I had them put in my rear tire last year. Bike rides smooth. Don't notice any vibration or anything. I will keep using them myself.
They have to work, its a matter of phsyics. The problem I've read is not putting in enough beads. Some tires are very out of balance, which requires more beads than normal. I have not used them myself yet, but I was told to have the tire run through the balancer to find out how much weight you need, then get at least that much weight in beads.

Beary

Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Jon 2005 Road King
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask about "ride rite" next time you get a tire mounted. It's a goop that goes inside the tire and self-balances the tire (plus will plug a leak). Bit expensive (like $15 a tire?), but well worth it (plus no ugly weights on your nice wheels).

Been using it for about 4k miles now and no complaints Although I hear some people using it have problems with the valve sicking open when adjusting air in tire, so just make sure to clear it out after topping off - but it hasnt happened to me yet.