Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 - no hype

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I had love enough that I bought a 12 limited and love it. It's at the dealer now getting stage 1 and SE muflers and lots and lots of chrome + 1k mile service. I loved my 09 Ultra and will love this one just as much.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
The cat in 50 state bikes comes to mind real fast....
Soo . . . Harley's found another place to put the cat on the 2012s? I tought the 2010 was a great year. They fixed a couple of things with the 2009s. Relative to the 2010 Limited I don't see much from 2010 to 2012.

Last edited by davessworks; 08-18-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they clean up the limp mode, compensator, and wheel bearing issue's or did they just pass them along in the 2012's?

Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Purplesky
I heard that Harley has cut production and they are just trying to keep inventories low to keep prices on the higher side. The dealers are not getting that many new 12s and trading more with other dealers to get the bikes people want.
This is a delicate economy for expensive toys so it seems like Harley has done a good job to balance supply and demand and help protect the value of the bikes people already own. If the economy doesn't improve I would not expect a huge change from Harley. Sorry this got boring and long.
I am excited about the 12s but I have not bought a bike yet so maybe its my motorcycle fever.
Harley does not have a production schedule. Every bike they build has been ordered and paid for either by a customer or a dealer. Unlike auto companies Harley Davidson does not produce bikes on a production schedule or just to keep the plant working.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Harley does not have a production schedule. Every bike they build has been ordered and paid for either by a customer or a dealer. Unlike auto companies Harley Davidson does not produce bikes on a production schedule or just to keep the plant working.
This is the new way to do business and Harley certainly isn't the first to take this approach. There are care companies out there that have been doing it for about 10 years (MINI is one of them - every car is built to order).

Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

Harley obviously has a production strategy and they control it. Its my understanding that they are not flooding dealers with new 2012 bikes like they easily could.
They are in a downsizing mode of dealers anyway so it makes sense.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM
OU812
Tourer

Originally Posted by Egldr05
How about 110's in every bike that can't be spanked by my 05 98"? The stock motors as they come off the showroom floor are pathetic IMHO.

Rick
I bet your 05 was pathetic when it was new..

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Purplesky
Harley obviously has a production strategy and they control it. Its my understanding that they are not flooding dealers with new 2012 bikes like they easily could.
They are in a downsizing mode of dealers anyway so it makes sense.
Sorry but your wrong. Harley will produce as many bikes as the dealers order, no more, no less. they give the dealers exactly what the dealers pay for.

The only downsizing is those dealers that go out of business because they are not selling enough bikes to keep the doors open.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OU812
I bet your 05 was pathetic when it was new..

I can't argue with you on that one, but I sure have enjoyed changing that.

Rick

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

Sorry but your wrong. Harley will produce as many bikes as the dealers order, no more, no less. they give the dealers exactly what the dealers pay for.

The only downsizing is those dealers that go out of business because they are not selling enough bikes to keep the doors open.
Lets try this. They are controlling the speed at which dealers receive their new bikes.
The dealers don't know how fast they will receive inventory but Harley knows exactly because they produce them.
The dealers in my area are not getting 2012s fast enough and are driving to neighboring states to do trades on bikes that are in demand.

Quick Reply: 2012 - no hype