Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odyssey battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Odyssey battery tender

I read on here quite a while ago that someone implied if you have an Odyssey battery that you need to have one of their tender's. Unless I am having a flashback (very possible) I called Odyssey some time ago and they said no. More thoughts????

Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

i had a 3 odysseys go dead on me.

part of that adventure ( besides being left at the side of the road 2 of those times) was 1 guy at batteries plus telling me to always use a trickle charger.

The other telling me to never use a trickle charger.

once i got one of those guys to write it out for me on his card, I was able to get a full refund from the store.

either way their guys had given me advice which each other blamed for the batteries going open internally.

I took my refund and bought an AGM.

still don't know the answer to that question.

but my post on that subject may be what you are thinking of-?

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-17-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

From the Odyssey website: (http://www.odysseybattery.com/faq.html)

Q. Are these a gel cell? What’s the difference?

A. No, the ODYSSEY battery is NOT a gel cell. It is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, meaning that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart.

The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell all of the electrolyte is in the separator, whereas in the gel cell the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the ODYSSEY battery were to split open, there would be no acid spillage!

So the Odyssey is in fact an AGM battery. The above-mentioned website also has a link to their "approved" charger list:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...CT2010_003.pdf

Interestingly, I do not see the popular Battery Tender listed. However, on the Deltran (Battery Tender) website, I do see that they are suitable for AGM batteries:

http://batterytender.com/resources/selection-guide.htm

Hope this is useful.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I bought an Odyssey battery a few years ago and they told me I should only use an Odyssey tender. The battery lasted a couple of years, but the tender is still going strong (used on a different brand battery!). So yes, they have certainly told us in the past that we should use one, but I wouldn't get one if you already have another brand tender.

My Odyssey battery was very expensive and only just survived beyond the warranty period. It did hurl my newly built tuned motor into life, which was very impressive, but it's effective life was short and not impressive! I didn't buy a second one.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Over the years I've had a few Odyssey batteries. I also own three Battery Tenders. I use 'em on any battery I have from motorcycles to cars. Never had a problem with any of it. There may be a difference in charge rates, but I doubt a battery can tell where an electron is coming from. Odyssey was a good step up until other brands got into AGM. Now I look for the best buy on AGM.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...y-Charger.aspx

I think that Deka batteries are the way to go. They seem to be strongest and last longest for me in my HDs and foreign bikes I have/have had. I use both the Battery Tender Plus and the Optimate on several bikes presently tethered up in the garage. I think that the Optimate does the best job all around and would highly recommend it.