Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium latches- Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Premium latches- Rivets

I just bought new black premium latches and hinges for my tour pac and most of the replacement hardware is bolts but there are 4 rivets for the latch catches.
Anyone now of a way to install these without the Harley tool?
in case anyone is wondering, the Harley tool which is a glorified vise grip clamp is $275.00!
I'd rather not get the dealership to do it.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
twalte
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drilled out the rivets. Helps to have a buddy hold the lid while you install the new latches.

Not a difficult process, and I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Biggest issue is to get the tour pack on a soft surface and make sure you have good drill bits when you start (they won't be any good when you finish)

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the rivets out, I need to know how to squeeze the new ones without using the harley rivet tool

Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At first I made the same error as the other responders, then I realized the OP was talking about the LATCH side! Looking at the picture on the HD web site there are in fact 4 rivets.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
But no instructions!
To the OP do the instructions reference the special rivet tool?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Had long rivets on the police bag hinges. Separated them to paint....installed new rivets. Four hands are better for on the bag installation. I got a chunk of steel to place against the head, then use a center punch as it has a broad tapered point. Keep tapping the punch with a hammer on the non-head side until it flairs or mushrooms enough not to slide out.

Adam

Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
To the OP do the instructions reference the special rivet tool?
States right on the instructions under "additional tools and materials required" that the rivet tool is required.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Romingnometx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no first hand experience, but most leather and feed stores carry rivet setting tools for less than $10. Most are a punch and small anvil.
Tandy Leather and Tractor Supply have web sales if you aren't close to a retail location.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 337 Likes on 193 Posts

Google "rivet squeezer" you will find many tools similar to the H-D one. E-bay might be a good option. You might also modify a C-Clamp to work.
Of course you could make a simple backer and use a pneumatic or manual rivet set. There is a possibility of messing up the latches or plastic especially if you have no experience with rivets.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

You can probably replace them with small screws and nut. May have to countersink the plate though. I replaced all of my hardware with screws and nuts when I had my tourpak painted.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I helped a tech install the blind rivets in the lid latch catches using the dealer's blind rivet tool when I had the tour pak repainted as part of my bike repaint project. Took about 5 minutes. I tried using small stainless screws and nuts, but the nuts hit the top edge of the bottom of the tour pak. What's the big deal about getting it done at the dealer if that's the easiest/fastest way to get it done with the right tool?

Carl

Quick Reply: Premium latches- Rivets