Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium latches- Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can buy a decent rivet gun at home depot/lowes or cheap one at habor frieght for under 30 bucks and u can use it for alot of other things

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

take your time and drill out the rivets, if you have an extra pair of hands it will help to hold the lid while you are drilling the rivets out so it doesn't get dropped. Its time consuming but well worth it, can't beleive the MOCO puts that cheap looking **** on a CVO bike!!

Last edited by Bdhouse61; 02-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed everything except the latch catches, looks fine for now. You can barely see the chrome catch once latched anyways, I'll have the dealer install the catch when it goes in for the brake lite recall.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbasHD
I see this thread is a bit dated but I'll respond anyhow. I came across this thread while trying to solve this same problem this weekend.

I went to our local Lowe's store and bought a pack of stainless steel #4 screws and associated #4 nuts.

This is a perfect solution for the lid-portion of replacement tourpak latches to ensure a tight fit when you don't have a rivet tool or don't want to use rivets in the first place.

Cheers.
I tried this "hardware" solution a couple of years ago when I repainted the bike, including the Ultra Tour Pak. The outside of the latch looked fine with the small screws sitting down in the latch recess.

The problem was the small screws on the interior side of the lid hit the top edge of the tour pak bottom creating some minor paint damage. I quickly removed the hardware and used the OEM rivets. Had a tech friend at the local dealership use the dealership's specialty rivet tool to install them.

I'm not saying that the suggested "hardware" solution won't work or that others wouldn't be okay with the nuts hitting the top edge of the tour pak bottom if that turns out to be the case for them.

Carl

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
BubbasHD
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I tried this "hardware" solution a couple of years ago when I repainted the bike, including the Ultra Tour Pak. The outside of the latch looked fine with the small screws sitting down in the latch recess.

The problem was the small screws on the interior side of the lid hit the top edge of the tour pak bottom creating some minor paint damage. I quickly removed the hardware and used the OEM rivets. Had a tech friend at the local dealership use the dealership's specialty rivet tool to install them.

I'm not saying that the suggested "hardware" solution won't work or that others wouldn't be okay with the nuts hitting the top edge of the tour pak bottom if that turns out to be the case for them.

Carl
I did have that concern, and was quite surprised to find out the #4 nut on the inside of the lid didn't bang into bottom lip of the pak. (I had maybe only one thread-worth of the #4 screw protruding past the nut) I guess I should have mentioned I also replaced the lid seal, and changed the hinges to the new model hinges. Maybe that gave me a different clearance altogether. That, and 'my application' was a tourpak from 2005 (fiberglass) and not the newer plastic version.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Stop at a auto body shop and show them what ya got. This rivit tool sounds like what they use for attaching power window motors to the inside of a door.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,823 Likes on 19,322 Posts

The rivet tool is unlike anything you will find in the general automotive service garage. The "rivets" are more like short pieces of tubing that need to be flared on one end. When I did mine I stopped by the local HD shop and asked if I could rent the tool that HD uses. They kind of chuckled ... but when I reminded them that I was a regular customer and bought all my parts there they offered to do it for me .... "Just grab your parts and bring them by and we'll do it for you." .... A Twelve Pack later everyone was happy!