Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium latches- Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just used some ss pop rivets bought 1/2 long ones filled them down a little to clear the bottom box

Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I helped a tech install the blind rivets in the lid latch catches using the dealer's blind rivet tool when I had the tour pak repainted as part of my bike repaint project. Took about 5 minutes. I tried using small stainless screws and nuts, but the nuts hit the top edge of the bottom of the tour pak. What's the big deal about getting it done at the dealer if that's the easiest/fastest way to get it done with the right tool?

Carl
Unfortunately, not all dealers are of the mindest to be forgiving with charges on something as simple as this. If it was a good, repeat customer, it would be in their best interest to "just spend the few minutes" it takes to accomplish this for the customer.

Buuut... there's many dealers that would want to go through the formal process of submitting a work/service order, scheduling it, and then charging the customer the full time that the book calls for the reepair.

While we all know the dealership is ultimately in business to be profitable, there's just some things that can be done, to strengthen a customer's relationship. Maybe that's the case here.

All that being said, I was unaware the black hinges existed, I like them. They look to be flat black, or are they gloss?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to replace mine on my '89 Ultra a few years back. Had to update to the new latches with the rivets as yours is (just chrome instead of black). Had a buddy that was a mechanic and had a standard manual rivet setting tool. took about 5 min. Do you have any friends in the mechanic or manufacturing business? Any standard rivet tool will work (right diameter for your rivets, it's a common size). Don't need the HD tool.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I helped a tech install the blind rivets in the lid latch catches using the dealer's blind rivet tool when I had the tour pak repainted as part of my bike repaint project. Took about 5 minutes. I tried using small stainless screws and nuts, but the nuts hit the top edge of the bottom of the tour pak. What's the big deal about getting it done at the dealer if that's the easiest/fastest way to get it done with the right tool?

Carl
because the dealer wants to charge 1 hour labour, 89.00 to squeeze 4 rivets.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Ouch! If you include your location in your posts, a reader might suggest a dealer or indy you could use. Heck, if you're near Atlanta, I can give you the name of a tech who'd do it for you.

Carl

Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
That's what I suspected.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM
kjones1222
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just paid Texan HD $35.00 to install 8 rivets on my tour pack . Beats a scratch on my new paint by trying to rig something to work or use the wrong tool for the job.

Sometimes you have to pay a few dollars.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google "tube rivet" and purchase the dies along with the tool needed. It is going to be around $200.00 if you go this route. The stealership is going to charge you alot more for this tool. Or, just get stainless steel rivets and a cheap rivet gun from Harbour Freight. For the latches to connet together, use a #6 bolt with an acorn nut. That is what I used on the latches to put the hinges together on police bags. Works and looks good.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM
kjones1222
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$35.00..... I'm a tool freak, but how often will you use this special tool?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 AM
BubbasHD
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Premium latches- Rivets (Solved!)

I see this thread is a bit dated but I'll respond anyhow. I came across this thread while trying to solve this same problem this weekend.

I went to our local Lowe's store and bought a pack of stainless steel #4 screws and associated #4 nuts.

This is a perfect solution for the lid-portion of replacement tourpak latches to ensure a tight fit when you don't have a rivet tool or don't want to use rivets in the first place.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Premium latches- Rivets