Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tenders: Do You Use One During Riding Season?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
OK. When I owned my Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100, Honda Valkyrie Tourer and Road Star Midnight Silverado, I NEVER used a battery tender during the riding season. The only time I would use a battery tender was over the Winter, when I would pull the battery and hook it up to a battery tender in my workshop.

I picked up my new 2011 SG a few months ago. Up until now, it has always started right up, like it should on a full charge. Last Saturday, it took several seconds before starting - long enough to be a concern to me. We rode 125 miles, stopping briefly 3 times along the way, and it started right up, as normal.

Is something going on here? Do you guys use a tender between rides? Do you pull the battery over the Winter?

Thanks for the help, guys.
Your new battery tenders do more then charge your battery, they charge, maintain, discharge, and cycle them to full charge, over and over. You will extend your battery life by plugging it in always when bike is parked at home.

Last edited by checkers; 08-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I only ride on Saturday. I know, I should be ashamed. I plan on riding much, much more after retirement. Coming soon.

I put the battery tender on Friday night and boost the battery over night. When I’m able to ride more, I don’t need the battery tender.

My last Harley battery was 5 year old when I replaced it because I didn’t want future troubles. It would have lasted longer.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plug the RKC into the battery tender after the ride and it stays plugged in till the next ride.

Could be one day or five.

Seems like the RKC likes it cause when I fire 'er up, she starts up easy.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
idontknow
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leave mine plugged in anytime the bike is in the garage. No issues so far after a year and a half.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
bigdaddybost
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the bike is in my garage it has a tender hooked to it.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Always plug in - these Touring bikes have much more load while riding than my Fatboy so I figure they're not charging at the same rate. I've been using tenders year round for years and I get many years of use out of my batteries.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I bought my 06 in October of 05. It's had a BT on ever since. I'm still on the original battery and it starts on the second revolution. We get occasional days during the winter where the roads are clear enough to ride, and I can't stand being inside any longer, where I'll go out for a couple of hours. So, other than giving her a good wash and wax and changing all the fluids I don't really do any winterizing. On a 20* day, when she's been sitting for a couple of weeks, she'll fire up on 3-4 revolution.

Next spring I'm going to replace the battery as a preventative measure. I'd hate to break down somewhere because I didn't want to spend the $ for a battery.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Always plug in - these Touring bikes have much more load while riding than my Fatboy so I figure they're not charging at the same rate. I've been using tenders year round for years and I get many years of use out of my batteries.
The same here, works great on my tractors and snowmobiles too, battery minders get rid of and keeps sulfur from building.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I got 6 years out of my last stock battery and always kept it on a tender while at home. Last year I spent a few months working with my bike in Florida and my battery started being slow to start. I put an Odyssey in it and even though I always have my GPS hooked up it never blinks. I also ride in the winter as long as the roads are clear but not as much. I will see how this winter goes.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,405 Posts

I leave the batteries in my bikes during the winter and charge them a couple of times, 2 amps overnight. My '04 Road King still has the original battery but the fresh 95" build is putting a strain on it.

Quick Reply: Battery Tenders: Do You Use One During Riding Season?