Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best Audio system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By your sig pic bet yours rocks!
It does ok.....

Shakey

Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 AM
bronco99
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wanna ride sorry thats not me i do not drive the ford.... And thanks to eveyone for the helpful links

Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Do you want the "best audio system"? Or do you just want better sounding speakers? Two different ballgames in different leagues.
If you are willing to spend amp/ speaker lid money,....then build a custom system.

Doesn't have to be overboard,............but it helps !!!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I'd pick up an arc audio amp and add some hertz speakers. Maybe go with polks. Don't get sucked into MC specialty stuff. JMHO
What he said --- ARC Mini 125.2 amp & 6.5" Hertz. That's what I have now, after 2 other "upgrades" including Hogtunes (you can do alot better than those) & even the ARC speakers. Hertz is much better. Lifetime guarantee too. Blow one up & they'll send you a new one.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember sound is subjective. Also, money has a lot to do with it too. You should do your research. Try to listen to other systems.
I had HD Booms in the fairing (no amp). They sounded really good til I heard my friends J&M's powered by an amp. The J&M's didn't blow the Booms away, they just sounded better & had more bass. Not a ton more, just enough to make a difference in my opinion of the Booms. I'm aware that an amplified system will sound better than one that isn't (9 times out of 10).

I recently just replaced my entire audio system.
I installed:
Sony Bluetooth head unit.
Hertz 6.5" speakers in the fairing.
Cycle Sounds Bagger lids.
J&M Rokker 500W x 4 channel amp.
I also installed high density foam in the outer fairing (really nice welcome mat that I cut up to fit lol).

To me & anyone that has heard it, it sounds pretty freakin awesome. Are there better systems out there? Absolutely! But for what I have & what I spent, I'm more than happy (for now lol).

BTW, I just purchased a set of lowers & thought about adding speakers to them but decided, for now, not to. I don't like the look of lowers on my bike. I'll just keep them for cold weather riding & for the possibilty that I might grow to like them & add speakers later on.

I DO NOT need speakers in the lowers because I'm actually able to hear the music, clearly, even at 75 mph+++. I was able to hear the Booms at 75 mph but they weren't as clear & they were struggling.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

For a 2-channel system, the current version Arc 125.2 amp (which has a bass boost and cooling fan) is tough to beat (125W per channel using 2 ohm speakers; 75W per channel using 4 ohm impedance speakers. I had the earlier version Arc 125.2 and only changed it out when I went to a 4-channel set-up by adding speakers to the fairing lowers and wanted 4-channels to be able to use the HK's fader control.

When I went to the 4-channel set-up, I used the new Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp. It's very small and, like the 125.2, sits on top of the HK radio and uses 4 ohm speakers.

I'm using inexpensive Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers in the fairing and fairing lowers (using the 2011 CVO speaker boxes) and they provide clear sound with either amp at all speeds. I'll probably change them out for Hertz speakers over the winter only because I've read a lot of favorable comments about them.

The amp selections are somewhat limited if you require, as I did, an in-fairing amp. If you're willing to sacrifice saddlebag or tour pak space for installing an amp, the amp selections increase a lot. The same goes for newer products from HD and aftermarket vendors for saddlebag lid speakers. I don't see saddlebag lid speakers in my future, but hey, you never know. For now, I'm very happy with the fairing and fairing lowers speakers, RF amp, and Infinity speakers at a relatively modest cost.

Carl