Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you clean your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Palau
John, There is no easy answer here; however, a motorcycle jack makes the job much easier.

1) remove the saddle bags
2) raise the bike on the motorcycle jack
3) put the bike in neutral
4) find something low to sit on
5) and polish to your heart's content

Good luck.
Me too..........

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2010 Limited came with chrome wheels. Yep, we all know that. It is rather tedious and time consuming to polish them by hand. I have found that Meguiar's makes a chrome wheel spray on solution that once it sets for a minute or so, you can just spray it off. I generally go to the public coin car wash and remove the saddle bags to do the rear as well as the front while rinsing off road grime from my last rainy excursion. The stuff cleans up nicely and easily. No rubbing needed. I don't spray directly on the hub to attack the wheel bearings. They will remain fairly clean for quite some time thereafter. Just MHO and experience.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
webbdog8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just buy a new bike LOL
no really i use the hd cleaning poliches and they work great

Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ride in the rain...

Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

First, do a search on "EZbrush" and order one. It can be shaped so that you can get around the wheel a lot easier. It works very well for the rear.

I found that if I spend 15 minutes at the car wash every 1000 miles with the ezbrush, the wheels don't get dirty enough for a two hour cleaning. I do a thorough cleaning and waxing about every 4000 to 5000 miles to make sure no grime or rust is building up.

Beary

Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

I bought a Meguiar's powerball with their aluminum polish. The front wheel was easy, and the right rear was not too bad laying down on my stomach behind the bike.. The left rear was almost impossible. My buddy lent me a bike lift that lifts the frame under the engine, but I didn't trust it. It was stable side to side, but rocked too much for my liking front to back.

The powerball I bought had a nice little 8" extension with it to get behind the rotors with the drill outside of them.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=Heavy D;8699417]I bought a Meguiar's powerball with their aluminum polish. The front wheel was easy, and the right rear was not too bad laying down on my stomach behind the bike.. The left rear was almost impossible. My buddy lent me a bike lift that lifts the frame under the engine, but I didn't trust it. It was stable side to side, but rocked too much for my liking front to back.

I have one of the bike lifts, too. And, the bike did rock front to back some. However, the lift has a couple of locations to hook a strap to it to secure the bike to the lift. That will take care of the rocking.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

[QUOTE=Matt0987;8699480]
Originally Posted by Heavy D
I bought a Meguiar's powerball with their aluminum polish. The front wheel was easy, and the right rear was not too bad laying down on my stomach behind the bike.. The left rear was almost impossible. My buddy lent me a bike lift that lifts the frame under the engine, but I didn't trust it. It was stable side to side, but rocked too much for my liking front to back.

I have one of the bike lifts, too. And, the bike did rock front to back some. However, the lift has a couple of locations to hook a strap to it to secure the bike to the lift. That will take care of the rocking.
I saw those loops on the lift, but couldn't figure a good location on the bike to strap to.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=Heavy D;8699488]
Originally Posted by Matt0987

I saw those loops on the lift, but couldn't figure a good location on the bike to strap to.
Use a wide nylon strap right over the top of the bike with a blanket to protect the bike. Just make them snug. Not so tight that you hurt anything.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

[QUOTE=Matt0987;8699514]
Originally Posted by Heavy D

Use a wide nylon strap right over the top of the bike with a blanket to protect the bike. Just make them snug. Not so tight that you hurt anything.
Do you mean over the driver seat position? Never thought of that.

Makes sense, the downward pressure should keep it planted more, and not want to rock front-back.

Quick Reply: How do you clean your wheels?