Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rain suit recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rain suit recommendations

Im looking for a new rain suit and would like some recommendations.

thx

Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are about 5 new rain suit threads a week. If you do a search you will get all the info you need. And more.

Originally Posted by dad311
Im looking for a new rain suit and would like some recommendations.

thx

Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 AM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frogg Toggs. Good stuff in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H-D Hi-Vis rainsuit. Like most things with the MoCo logo, it's pricey. But it is very, very good.

Matt

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by dad311
Im looking for a new rain suit and would like some recommendations...
I ended up with the TourMaster Sentinel suit (pants have the heat resistant panels on the inside of each leg).

If possible, try on any brand as many do not fit well in the seated position...noting worse then pants that come up to mid-calves.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends upon what you want it for. I had a set that was very good at keeping the rain out but took up almost a whole saddle bag by itself. Last year bought the HD Canal Street set for me and the woman's Jettison for the wife. They pack into the hood so take so little room you can leave them on the bike all the time. Price was reasonable too. I don't commute on the bike and only use it for pleasure riding so really only need them if we're caught in the rain while on a day trip or an overnighter. These sets have heatshields in the legs. If you're the type that takes the bike rain or shine and live in an area that gets lots of wet stuff, you might want something a bit more robust.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got this one, and like it. HD men's Overpass II
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the HD Overpass, and it's waterproof. But also very hot in the summer because, like most of the $150 or less suits, it doesn't breathe.

For a whole lot more money, you can get a Gore-Tex (or equivalent) suit that will keep you dry and allow your perspiration to get out. I have a few different brands, but my "go-to" suit is an Olympia AST jacket and overpants by FirstGear. You'll spend much more money on a high quality outfit, but when you're on tour during a rainy week you will be very glad that you made the investment.

The difference between a $150 suit and one that cost three times as much is that the more expensive outfit allows you to ride all day regardless of the weather, whereas the lower cost suit will only keep you dry until you reach shelter. I've spent many a day up on the Blue Ridge Parkway where it rained or drizzled pretty much the whole day. My trip was not ruined because of the rain, rather it opened up a whole new world.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM
KACook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
There are about 5 new rain suit threads a week. If you do a search you will get all the info you need. And more.

I on the other hand appreciate you starting this thread. I haven't thought about rain latly and did not know about the pricer rain suit mentioned above. Something new tho think about.
Thanks,
Ken

Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Having just completed a 580 mile ride back from the beach wearing the HD Gore-Tex rain pants the entire way in high 80's low 90's temps, I can second PastorJohn's endorsement of these suits. The forecasts on my route were for localized heavy rains so I put the pants on before starting out that a.m. I largely missed the rain (except for a gully washer in Gaffney SC) and was very comfortable. The pants did their job in the heavy rain I did encounter. I didn't use the rain jacket since I don't mind getting my mesh/armor jacket wet for brief intervals since it dries out so quickly at the interstate speeds I was riding. I have used the jacket and it too is very comfortable rain or shine and does the job.

List price for the jacket and pants was north of $400, but I paid 1/2 that catching one of my dealer's excellent sales. Like many here, I don't go out for a casual ride in the rain, but it's very reassuring to have excellent rain gear on the bike during the 5 or 6 lengthy trips I seem to make each year, and for use if I get caught in heavy rain on an extended day ride.

Good luck with your selection.

Carl

Quick Reply: rain suit recommendations