Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You'll Poke Your Eye Out Kid!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 AM
fxstbharley2008
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch

OUCH! sorry that happened
I hope everything turns out OK
I will say a prayer for you.
This is a lesson for everybody else.....

Originally Posted by CHGO5OH
Just wanted to share my incident with you guys. Last night I decided on covering my scoot for the night. It was dark and somewhat illuminated, as I went to check the pipes to see if it was ok to cover the scoot. WHAM!!!! Shoved the friggin antenna in my left eyeball. I heard of stories of close calls and even done it myself, but it finally got me. I'm soooo lucky to be able to see from that eye right now, but there is no telling what's in store for the future. I am still sick to my stomach just thinking about that I almost lost my eye. I posted the picture one of the doctors took in the ER. Oh, can anyone recommend a good SHORT antenna?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Man.... That really sucks. It would scare the crap outta me too. My bike doesn't have an antenna, but I have those Super Trapp "fishtail" exhaust tips, which are actually rocket tails but that's another story, and I always catch myself cutting the crap out of my shins when circling behind the bike.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Damn man that sucks.....Hope you will be ok!!!!....

Old 08-13-2011, 10:37 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SH_01FXDWG
Man, glad it wasn't worse. I had some cast iron taken out of my eye once. They used a sort of drimmel tool and cut the stuff out. That night I did what they said not to do and looked under the patch. I had three 1/8" diam craters in my eye. Two days later you could not even tell. You'll be surprised how fast the tissue in the eye can heal.
Yeah, I stuck a tree branch in my eye once about 25 years ago. The Doctor said I took a 1/4" chunk out of the outside lens, he washed it out with saline solution and gave me a pirate eye patch. 2 days at the most everything was back to normal and never a problem since. He said your eye heals 3x faster than the rest of your body.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:58 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Can not add to what has already been said, but wish a speedy recovery !
Hope thre will be no perm damage that prevents you from doing everyday things like ...riding your bike.
Sounds like a good time to talk about eye wear and what is available out there.
Anyone tried the HD photocromatic glasses?
Rob

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

12" rubber auto antenna from autozone $10 never had a problem,good reception..that eye is nasty...hope it heals up good for you..

Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer
Default Thank You.........

Woke up today in good spirits and thanking GOD that I didn't loose my eye and or sight. Thanks guys for the words of encouragement and suggestions for the antenna. This is definitely being presented to a lawyer and hopefully at the very least HD will do something about this antenna. All it takes is something like this to get their attention. Thanks again!!!!

****************************AGAIN, NO ONE IS BEING SUED OR HELD ACCOUNTABLE*************************************** ***

Last edited by CHGO5OH; 09-06-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Johansson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a few close encounters with my antenna also, I'm hoping a fast recovery for you! One of the first things I did was cut my whip down to 14 inches in length. It didn't affect reception one bit and it was free.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:27 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CHGO5OH
This is definitely being presented to a lawyer and hopefully at the very least HD will do something about this antenna. All it takes is something like this to get their attention.Wally
Your joking,right!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 PM
hdtrader
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Your joking,right!
...why should he joke...he just about lost his eye on that damn antenna. Harley-Davidson needs to make a change to it.

Quick Reply: You'll Poke Your Eye Out Kid!