Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM
wheely
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market cables

Well here's my situation. Just switched from a Softail to an Ultra. Bad elbow requires me to have the 2" pullback bars. Harley no longer makes the OEM black cables for this....but only the Diamond back ones. I really don't want to spend the $$ for shiny cables. Someone told me that I could use after market ones. Anyone had any experience with aftermarkets......if so, Where can I find'em?? Are they OK?? I could do a reach seat and have it done, but I'm really comfortable with my position on the foot controls and hate to mess with that. Thanks for any info !!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 532 Posts

just went through this myself harley told me it was backordered, got mine through drag specialties.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 PM
wheely
Tourer

Thanks Deer Man! Gotta love DRAG.....Been wondering how to get rid of the reflectors on my hardbags....found some cool chrome inserts that do just that from DRAG.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wheely
Well here's my situation. Just switched from a Softail to an Ultra. Bad elbow requires me to have the 2" pullback bars. Harley no longer makes the OEM black cables for this....but only the Diamond back ones. I really don't want to spend the $$ for shiny cables. Someone told me that I could use after market ones. Anyone had any experience with aftermarkets......if so, Where can I find'em?? Are they OK?? I could do a reach seat and have it done, but I'm really comfortable with my position on the foot controls and hate to mess with that. Thanks for any info !!
When I put the Wild 1 575 bars on, I ordered direct from Barnett the +4 cables. Drag specialties and Dennis Kirk only show stock length and +6. The +6 on my EG would have been way too long and +4 works fine. Got the black vinyl which looked just like the stock HD that were removed. Bars do a nice job of coming back 2 inches. Hope this helps

Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 AM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
When I put the Wild 1 575 bars on, I ordered direct from Barnett the +4 cables. Drag specialties and Dennis Kirk only show stock length and +6. The +6 on my EG would have been way too long and +4 works fine. Got the black vinyl which looked just like the stock HD that were removed. Bars do a nice job of coming back 2 inches. Hope this helps
Did you do clutch AND throttle/idle cables? How long did they take to get?
Got my 575s and about to order Barnett cables.

(sorry for the hijack... fwiw my shovel has had a barnett clutch cable on it for at least 15 years)

Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 AM
HD101st
Tourer

i am going through magnum you just punch your bike year and make and it gives you a readout of all the sizes, then go to dennis kirk and have them ship them they come black pearl or chromite
reasonable to cheaper then HD

http://www.magnumshielding.com/

Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 AM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser

I had a Drag clutch cable leak oil at the crimp. Went with Magnum and love it. Better seal and easy pull.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM
wheely
Tourer

Good stuff guys. That really helps. I was a little hesitant going with aftermarket on cables.....but sounds like that'll be the way to go.
Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cripula
Did you do clutch AND throttle/idle cables? How long did they take to get?
Got my 575s and about to order Barnett cables.

(sorry for the hijack... fwiw my shovel has had a barnett clutch cable on it for at least 15 years)
Only the clutch cable was required. Less than 1 week direct from Barnett. Wiring worked by rearranging it inside the fairing and my bike has TBW so no cables. When I got a parts estimate from the dealer for the HD pullback bars, they added everything and the kitchen sink to the list. Didn't like the bars and doing it myself saved labor and a ton on parts. Besides, I know it's done right. NOTE, the magnum cable while attactive has a very fragile outer covering and is easily cut.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 532 Posts

thought magnum didnt make plain black only the pearl stuff? drag has a +4 its what i used for the 575"s all other wires and lines fit,brake line did take a little custom hand bending was tight but it works.

Quick Reply: After market cables