Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM
bushhog69
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio question

I have an 07 Screamin Eagle Ultra. The Radio sometimes quits and when the bike is shut off it will work when I turn the key back on. The last time it has been started a few times and still no radio. It changes stations and through the different bands, shows the volume works just no sound. Is there any problems with these that I should look for? I hate electrical problems. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
locodude
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you got an extended warranty cause your radio is shot. if not just take it out now and send it to iron cross audio for repair, they do a really good job with a quick turnaround. HD has poorly designed the riser bolts and the fairing brackets causing a lot of vibration in your stereo and making it go **** up. Get the new bolts for the riser and replace while you stereo is off at iron cross.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by locodude
Hope you got an extended warranty cause your radio is shot. if not just take it out now and send it to iron cross audio for repair, they do a really good job with a quick turnaround. HD has poorly designed the riser bolts and the fairing brackets causing a lot of vibration in your stereo and making it go **** up. Get the new bolts for the riser and replace while you stereo is off at iron cross.
+1 on that.....Going to cost you a tad under $300 with shipping both ways but they will fix whatever is broke and beef up the circuit board that normally cracks due to the vibrations. While you have the fairing off, replace the two forward handlebar clamp bolts with the new shorter head version and enforce the top mounts of the vertical fairings brackets with some small L brackets that you can buy at Home Depot. I just did the same thing last week.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

You definitely have some kind of issue. That's obvious. However, I would hesitate to say that the radio is trash. Based on your observations, it changes bands and the display seems to be working. Your problem is that you are getting no audio most of the time, so there is some kind of intermittent issue that is causing lack of audio. Yes, it could be a cracked board that causes a break in one of the circuit board lands and if that land is associated with the audio circuit, then that could be the problem. Before you send it off, you might want to remove the outer faring (you gotta remove it anyway...remember to put some tube socks over your spotlights to avoid scratching your faring paint) and then wiggle the harness and other connectors plugged into the back of the radio to see if you can make the audio go on and off. You may get lucky and discover that it's simply an intermittent pin contact in that harness, and a simple take it off and put it back on approach could fix your problem. If that does not do it, then it's most likely internal to the radio and the only long term solution is removing the rig and sending it off to the Iron Cross guys. Good luck with it.