Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode again ( Update)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:45 PM
RdKng09
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode again ( Update)

Original post
Started out sat morning on my 09 RK for a ride , hit the highway running about 70 in the fast lane and guess what? Engine shut down to idle. Almost got creamed by a few people while trying to get to the side of the road! Bike has 15,000 miles on it. My waranty was up in may this year. It happened once before in another state took 4 hours after the tow to get back on the road . It had 10,000 on it when that happened. That dealer said that it might happen again and it did. Anyway, after I got to the side of the road and cleaned my pants out I checked for codes P1511, P2101, and P2135 same as the last time. I reset the throttle 4 ign cycles and road it home without a problem. I pulled the connector of behind the air cleaner, cleaned the connections and put dielectric grease on the pins , reset the codes and it has been fine for 350 miles with no more codes thrown. Hopefully it won't happen again for another 5000 miles. I just think it is a shame that harley knows about this and won't do any thing until somone gets killed and sues them.My wife doesn't know how close she was to fileing that law suit.
Just had to tell someone ! Thanks for letting me vent!

Went to the dealership where I bought the bike today to see if they have a fix for this problem. As posted above I am out of waranty. He said I would have to bring it in to run daig tests to find the problem. By the way the bike is still running good after 400 miles.
So I made an appointment to bring it in. He said per the tech tip tt418A they would have to replace some pins and wires to make sure it didn't happen again. I asked him what the cost was for this. He told me that all dealers have Discretionary funds for problems like this and there would be no charge to me.He just wanted to make it right and safe.
So a big thumbs up to Buckminns D&D HD Xenia Ohio. There are Seven HD dealers within 50 miles of my house , I knew there was a reason I picked them.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM
07DDreamHD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a hell of a deal and I am glad to hear HD is standing behind the bike.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked for codes P1511, P2101, and P2135 same as the last time. I reset the throttle 4 ign cycles and road it home without a problem. I pulled the connector of behind the air cleaner, cleaned the connections and put dielectric grease on the pins , reset the codes
I feel like a mason...another secret handshake I have to learn to get my bike to take me home...reminds me about the camel ******* joke.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:04 PM
RdKng09
Intermediate

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I feel like a mason...another secret handshake I have to learn to get my bike to take me home...reminds me about the camel ******* joke.

A big Welcome to the order of HD! LOL!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the update; sounds like a great dealer.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 3,174 Posts

If there was a Tech Tip on the problem, there may be a "silent" recall on all models.

They won't send out a letter, but will get re-imbursed fron HD should they choose to fix it whan a customer approaches them.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 PM
hdivy
Cruiser

how do you see the codes?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hdivy
how do you see the codes?
Push the odometer button in & hold in while turning the ignition on. Then release & push the odometer button in & hold for 5 seconds.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Been there done that....

Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
CapnCave
2nd Gear

Same thing happened to my 09 RKC yesterday. Limped home. Called the dealer who had me reset 4 times. Drove over to have it checked, didn't make it before it died again, limped in to their garage left it running. I was pissed, I have the 5 year warranty they charged me 50$ to change 4 connector pins. This should be a recall item. Harley knows about it. Mechanism new exactly what is it was immediately. Happens a lot.

Quick Reply: Limp mode again ( Update)