Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode again ( Update)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM
CapnCave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will probably get someone killed. Its a problemshame on all electronic throttles.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:44 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been in limp mode for the past 3 years...but the VA gives me a pill for that problem.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 AM
StumpyJr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Limp Mode"

Originally Posted by spider14043
I've been in limp mode for the past 3 years...but the VA gives me a pill for that problem.
Now thats funny.....good one Spider, good luck to you and God bless the VA !

Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this thread post number 7.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...511-p2101.html

A reflash is what ended up solving my problem (seemingly). The reflash was done by sending the ECM to Harley and the put a special calibration on it. There was talk about the code being thrown due to a latency issue between actuator for the throttle and the ECM - basically not a real issue, it just didn't wait long enough in the diagnostic check. If it waited like another split second, no issue...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM
VineRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update TickTock....I've not experienced limp mode yet, but have been following these threads with interest. I have an '11 UC and this problem is a bit worrisome to say the least.

Did your dealer state if this was something that would eventually be able to be done at the local dealer (as opposed to having to send your ECM back to Harley)?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I have heard that putting some dialectic grease on the pins of the connector at the ECM may stop this problem. If the connector was ever unplugged after initial installation, the pins can fret causing problems.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Sorry you almost got killed over this problem with your TBW..But it is nice to hear some good news about a Dealer stepping up and doing the right thing.

Last edited by Captain Itch; 08-23-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VineRider
Thanks for the update TickTock....I've not experienced limp mode yet, but have been following these threads with interest. I have an '11 UC and this problem is a bit worrisome to say the least.

Did your dealer state if this was something that would eventually be able to be done at the local dealer (as opposed to having to send your ECM back to Harley)?
I am sure that if it is deemed to be the "fix" it will work its way into the dealer network. I know that the pin replacement/harness replacement is the fix that most need, but I keep repeating the post so that people know there is another alternative available. Some dealers wont call corporate and ask questions and if they don't ask they wont know this is yet another fix to the problem.

So far it has worked for me and luckily my issues have been isolated to stop/start situations and not going 70 down the freeway.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:16 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had this happen to me for the first time yesterday. Leaving my house, got about a hundred yards from my driveway, check engine light comes on and bike goes into limp mode. Stopped, shut off the ignition switch, then tired to restart. Wouldn't start, so I cycled the ignition switch again. Started up. Decided to keep going. Got one more little hiccup, then it ran great for the rest of a very short ride (16 miles) down the turnpike.

Bike sat for about 5 hours, then I headed home. Ran great - no problems.

46K miles on my bike and this is the first time anything like this has happened. PCV is supposed to be delivered today - and I don't really want to start having issues now, and not know if it has anything to do with the PCV / map.

Any more ideas or updates from what I've read in this thread already?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Obviously there is an issue with the design of these connectors. When you change pins in a connector, you simply put the same ole pins in the same ole place in the same ole connector. Whatever was causing the issues has NOT been addressed. It's only been rewound back to a previous condition, and if nothing changes, will reoccur. It's most likely a combination of vibration, heat, and moisture. Dielectric grease will serve to displace moisture and give some relief with micro-vibrations.

HD could do a lot better with a lot of things, but will they? Probably not unless they think it is going to get into their back pocket from the standpoint of liability.

Quick Reply: Limp mode again ( Update)