Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Not Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
The thing I don't understand is guys wanting to argue about not needing that much protection.

You bought an expensive bike. Why skimp on oil?

Redline Shockproof heavy is a differential oil that has the sulfur content. Being a 100% synthetic, it pours like a 75 weight oil, yet PROTECTS like a 140 weight oil. Why not put the BEST in your 20 thousand dollar bike?

On the primary, any standard 10W40 will do. I "spoil" mine and put Redline Synthetic PRIMARY oil in there. it is synthetic (which isn't necessary) but is made specifically for a Harley primary.

For the engine, I use Mobil1 15/50. I like friction modifiers in the ENGINE.

Synthetic is simply using technology to your advantage in a bike that operates at a much higher temp than more modern water cooled engines. They don't break down under high heat like a regular conventional oil will. Because of this, you can go farther between oil changes.

That said, dirt still gets in there....so for me PERSONALLY, I look at the oil on the dipstick, when she has some miles on her, and the oil looks dirty, then it's time to change it, if only to get the dirt OUT.

It frankly makes no sense to spent a ton of cash to buy a bike, and then penny pinch on items to make it last.

~Joe
By penny pinching I suppose you mean using a non recommended 15w50 car oil as opposed to the 20w50 Harley recommends? I'll stick with the owners manual for viscosities since it's been blazing hot here this summer. Probably not much difference besides price in the 15w50 and 20w50 but if I have a warranty claim I want the 20w50 in there.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
gasbrnr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was running hot boats 850 HP+ everyone was using the M1 MC 20-50 because it was more shear stable, had more zinc. Apparently the M1 15-50 had less zinc due to being used in vehicles with catalytic converters which could cause exhaust damage. I'll stay with the MC 20-50 also just a little more $.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
The thing I don't understand is guys wanting to argue about not needing that much protection.

You bought an expensive bike. Why skimp on oil?

Redline Shockproof heavy is a differential oil that has the sulfur content. Being a 100% synthetic, it pours like a 75 weight oil, yet PROTECTS like a 140 weight oil. Why not put the BEST in your 20 thousand dollar bike?

On the primary, any standard 10W40 will do. I "spoil" mine and put Redline Synthetic PRIMARY oil in there. it is synthetic (which isn't necessary) but is made specifically for a Harley primary.

For the engine, I use Mobil1 15/50. I like friction modifiers in the ENGINE.

Synthetic is simply using technology to your advantage in a bike that operates at a much higher temp than more modern water cooled engines. They don't break down under high heat like a regular conventional oil will. Because of this, you can go farther between oil changes.

That said, dirt still gets in there....so for me PERSONALLY, I look at the oil on the dipstick, when she has some miles on her, and the oil looks dirty, then it's time to change it, if only to get the dirt OUT.

It frankly makes no sense to spent a ton of cash to buy a bike, and then penny pinch on items to make it last.

~Joe
If you can see dirt on your dipstick I would be worried lol. Color of oil really has no meaning as far as the oil condition. I have sent many samples to blackstone labs over the years. sorry I missed you in Sturgis, ended up camping right behind the convention center. would have like to meet you.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Then finally they introduced Syn 3, ( currently about 60% Dino 40 % True Synthetic.)
Syn3 is a full-synthetic, but they also offer a blend at a lower price.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Not according to the Data Sheet below:

http://charleybragg.com/syn3.htm

Am I missing something?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Here in America, oil does not have to be 100% synthetic to be labeled as "full" synthetic and blended oil cannot be more than 30% synthetic.