Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Not Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:20 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
Harley recently revised their transmission fill procedure, instead of pouring in 32oz, now you start by pouring in 28oz, check and add more if needed to avoid overfilling. I believe this is because Harley has recognized that more and more people are using a heavier oil which, even when hot does not drain as completely as a lighter oil.

Harley says you can use SYN3 simply because of the convenience of using the same stuff in all 3 holes and just so happens to be their most expensive oil... go figure.
actuall, in some models, it went to 38oz drain and refill or 45oz if the case is split

Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

saw a thread on here some place that said the syn oil in the primary was over kill and the syn was not good on the clutchs [ to slick ] and the oil in there is more for cooling than lub and recomened the formula + its cheaper , I switched it in mine after a clutch replacement and works great , smooth shift and easy to find nut.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Billet
And this raises the question with me if MoCo recommands Harley Syn 3 20W-50 in all three holes then why not just use That? Thats what I'm doing.
The dealers here recommend Formula+ in the tranny and primary.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

[QUOTE=NoCoLoco;8691182]Harley recently revised their transmission fill procedure, instead of pouring in 32oz, now you start by pouring in 28oz, check and add more if needed to avoid overfilling. I believe this is because Harley has recognized that more and more people are using a heavier oil which, even when hot does not drain as completely as a lighter oil.

That would be for pre 07. Correct?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Billet
And this raises the question with me if MoCo recommands Harley Syn 3 20W-50 in all three holes then why not just use That? Thats what I'm doing.
Steve, about 12 years ago HD came out in response to the use of AmsOil condemning Synthetic Oils as BAD for HD's. Only later did they relent (a little,) and acknowledge Synthetic benefits.

Then finally they introduced Syn 3, ( currently about 60% Dino 40 % True Synthetic.)

Just cause somebody from MoCo says it's so, doesn't necessarily mean it's so,............. or best for your bike. There's much to learn on Forums like this.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
highhillbill
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well,....im at a 1000 mi. breakin, ive decided on all Syns. Amsoil motor, (20 /50), royal Purple Max gear in Tranny ( 75w 90 ) and Se Syn 3 in Chain Case. Ive Talked to alot of riders and maybe the Syn 3 is a little overkill compared to F+ but im kinda sold on synthetics . I was goig amsoil in all three but alot of people say you need the Gear additives for Trannys

Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
actuall, in some models, it went to 38oz drain and refill or 45oz if the case is split
I'm talking about the transmission and I think you are referring to the primary.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
That would be for pre 07. Correct?
It applies to all 6-speed transmissions.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
It applies to all 6-speed transmissions.
Correct, I thought we were discussing primaries.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The thing I don't understand is guys wanting to argue about not needing that much protection.

You bought an expensive bike. Why skimp on oil?

Redline Shockproof heavy is a differential oil that has the sulfur content. Being a 100% synthetic, it pours like a 75 weight oil, yet PROTECTS like a 140 weight oil. Why not put the BEST in your 20 thousand dollar bike?

On the primary, any standard 10W40 will do. I "spoil" mine and put Redline Synthetic PRIMARY oil in there. it is synthetic (which isn't necessary) but is made specifically for a Harley primary.

For the engine, I use Mobil1 15/50. I like friction modifiers in the ENGINE.

Synthetic is simply using technology to your advantage in a bike that operates at a much higher temp than more modern water cooled engines. They don't break down under high heat like a regular conventional oil will. Because of this, you can go farther between oil changes.

That said, dirt still gets in there....so for me PERSONALLY, I look at the oil on the dipstick, when she has some miles on her, and the oil looks dirty, then it's time to change it, if only to get the dirt OUT.

It frankly makes no sense to spent a ton of cash to buy a bike, and then penny pinch on items to make it last.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 08-14-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Why Not Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in Tranny?