Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011 | 08:32 PM
TexasVet
|
Tourer
Default Thundermax Cruise Control Issue

I am having an issue with TBW Thundermax that is installed on my bike and it has to do with cruise control. There are times that the cruise control works w/o an issue and then there are many stints where it will not work at all and the cruise light stays red and will not activate green.

On the last occasion I removed the ECM fuse and then went through initialization process and the cruise would work again then for no reason what so ever it would deactivate, I would engage it again, and then five or so seconds later it would de-active.

I have contacted TM and was told by Randy that they have never seen this issue and believe that there is something wrong with the circuit system. I went as far as replacing the twist grip sensor and cleaning all the pins of the throttle control actuator and placing dielectric grease on the pins.

First off I love the TM and the bike runs so much better but the CC issue is causing me all kinds of havoc. So I figure I'd ask TM owners or future owners if they have ever had this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Old 08-11-2011 | 08:35 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Probably not the Tmax. Check the codes when it is acting up and see what they are. Hook your computer to the unit and check the codes and see if there are any stored. I would bet its a brake switch or clutch switch that is doing it. When you "reset" everything you clear the coded because it it intermittent and everything is fine for a while. Have you done anything to your bars lately? Maybe you broke the micro switch for the front brakes and that is messing you up. Keep searching, you will find it somewhere. Just try to get the codes off the bike when it is messing up. That will get you in the right direction.

Mark

Old 08-11-2011 | 09:51 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

During an episode when your cruise isn't working, see if your 6th gear indicator works correctly (in other words, shift into 6th gear and see if it lights up). I had a very similiar problem with the PCV on my bike. Cruise control would stop working intermitantly, and 6th gear indicator would not light up.

Old 08-11-2011 | 10:26 PM
moose thecat
Intermediate

had problems on 98 ultra with brake switch boot on front brakelite switch was torn also front brakelever was worn.pulled off boot & replaced lever.works fine now.

Old 08-12-2011 | 12:25 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

I have the Tmax and no, I don't have this problem. However, my "r" for estimated remaining range has disappeared.

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:41 AM
TexasVet
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by bamorris2
During an episode when your cruise isn't working, see if your 6th gear indicator works correctly (in other words, shift into 6th gear and see if it lights up). I had a very similiar problem with the PCV on my bike. Cruise control would stop working intermitantly, and 6th gear indicator would not light up.

I don't have any issue with 6th gear light and it doesn't make a difference whether I'm in any gear or even 6th, the CC won't activate. Appreciate the response.

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:49 AM
TexasVet
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I have the Tmax and no, I don't have this problem. However, my "r" for estimated remaining range has disappeared.

Thanks for the update. FYI to get the R to come back you have to turn the bike one with the run button on, pull the maxi fuse, unplug the TM and insert your stock ecm, hold in the trip reset button while putting in the maxi fuse and the R will be returned. Turn the main switch off, removed the ecm fuse, unplug your stock ecm, and then plug back in the TM. You will need to do reinitialization procedues as laid out in the manual.
http://www.thunder-max.com/Support/I...onManuals.aspx

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:50 AM
TexasVet
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
Probably not the Tmax. Check the codes when it is acting up and see what they are. Hook your computer to the unit and check the codes and see if there are any stored. I would bet its a brake switch or clutch switch that is doing it. When you "reset" everything you clear the coded because it it intermittent and everything is fine for a while. Have you done anything to your bars lately? Maybe you broke the micro switch for the front brakes and that is messing you up. Keep searching, you will find it somewhere. Just try to get the codes off the bike when it is messing up. That will get you in the right direction.

Mark
Mark,

Appreciate the response. I will check codes on the bike tonight to see if there are any and if there is any history faults. Guess I need to check the clutch and brake circuit to see if one might be in a change of state and tripping the cruise off.

Corey

Old 08-12-2011 | 06:53 AM
shovel52
Cruiser

My 08 Roadglide did the same thing. It was the cruise control switch. It eventually threw a code to the ECM. HD replaced the switch under warranty and said it happened alot. I really doubt the TM has anything to do with it. Zippers is pretty thorough about testing and follow-up. Ken

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:28 AM
viperr817
Road Captain

I have a tmax and also lost the r, gonna try and get it back tonight. One question for tmax guys, does fuel light still come on when u get low on gas? I have been pretty low and have not had mine come on yet.

Quick Reply: Thundermax Cruise Control Issue