Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Pro Pipe baffles

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
TCannon22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Pro Pipe baffles

Well I got the pro pipe chrome (pn 17559) on my 2011 103" FLHX, along with a stage 1 a/c and a PC V, set up by Jamie at Fuel moto.

First off, the bike runs so much, and I mean SO much better than stock.
Throttle response seems better, RPM's spin up quicker, pulls harder up around 3500-4000 where it seemed like the stock setup just kinda died, and it is so much cooler. Very happy with the map Jamie set me up with so another satisfied Fuel Moto customer here. I did have a tiny bit of decel pop, which didn't bother me that much, but was I was able to quickly dial it out thanks to the info from this forum.

I love the look of the Pro Pipe and fit and finish was as good as I've seen on any exhaust.
But the sound.. not really happy with the sound.
I don't completely hate it, I mean it sounds good at idle and is pretty nice at cruising RPM's, it's just the "on the throttle" sound I'm not too crazy about. It's nice and loud, which I do like, but honestly my best comparison would be to a pick up truck with a hole in the muffler.
It's not a very "clean" sound to me if that makes any sense.
I'm used to the sound of my old fatboy with the V&H sideshots.. and I know I won't get that sound out of the Pro Pipe, but I'd like to get close as I can.

All that pretty much leads to my actual questions....

I know people have removed the wrapping on the standard baffle and said it got louder, but I'm curious if there was a noticeable difference in the tone of the pipe or was it just more db's...

Also I'm not finding much info at all on the competition baffle (pn 26529) that V&H offers for my pipe. First of all, I want to know if I can even use it with my current setup or is it aimed at more big inch, big hp type motors? Second, what is the difference in sound/tone between it and the standard baffle?

Thanks a lot guys and keep the good info coming!

Tommy

Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll be following this as well. I feel exactly as you do and tried to describe what part of the Pro Pipe sound I wasn't happy with...I failed miserably. You hit the nail on the head with the pick up with a hole in the muffler. Idle and cruising is nice but throttle up and BLat Blat Blat...Not pleasing... more of a loud pick up with a hole in the muffler droan!

Last edited by Rickr01; 08-11-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
TCannon22
Tourer

Well I know that the end of the standard baffle is blocked off and the majority of the holes are covered in the fiberglass wrap.
Tonight I am going to remove the wrap and see how the sound is affected.
From what I've read, it will be louder, but I'm not sure if it will lose that kind of rusty muffler tone on acceleration.

I know that the competition baffle is supposed to be a "flow through" type and has no block off or plug on the inlet side of the baffle. I think this baffle would give me the sound I'm after, I'm just not sure if that type of baffle will work with my basically stage 1 motor.

I also have an email in to Vance and Hines with pretty much the same questions, so if we can't get any first hand experience on here, hopefully they will be able to help out.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They told me that the chrome Pro-Pipe just the way it comes is set up perfectly for the 103. i asked about the the High output pipe and they did not suggest it stating 120" or bigger. I asked about removing the fiberglass packing mat and they said just louder as the pipe has a baffle in the silencer. I took mine out and removed all packing. They were right just a lot louder - too loud. I bought 1/4" thick packing and wrapped both sections and now it is quieter. Stock silencer had packing towards the front section and loose steel wool around the rear section.

Attached Thumbnails V&H Pro Pipe baffles-rt-side-full-3.jpg  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 AM
TCannon22
Tourer

I took my baffle out last night and removed that weird steel wool wrap and the fiberglass wrap. Honestly, I really didn't notice a whole lot of difference in the sound. Maybe it was a little louder, but definitely not a drastic change in volume. Definitely not much change in the tone.

I do know that the Pro Pipe, High output is only recommended for serious builds on big cubic inch motors, but what about the competition baffle that is made for the Pro Pipe chrome that I have now?
Does this baffle basically turn it in to a Pro Pipe HO?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 AM
bagdaddy09
Cruiser

I've got a pro pipe on my 09, and love the sound. I'm not a fan of the cackling, popping "classic" harley sound. If you're a car guy, I think the best way to describe the sound of the pro pipe is a "Borla" or "Magnaflow" sound compared to the metallic "Flowmaster" sound.

PS...I do have Flowmasters on my Mustang and love 'em

Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V&H tech told me the competition baffle is good for upper rpm power and I will lose low end. He did not suggest it. Told me to stick with stock baffle and take out the packing if I want it louder.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
rgolson
Cruiser
Default Vance & Hines 17559 w/ Quiet Baffle 21903

I have these pipes minus the Baffle, on a 2011 FLHTK along with the Big Sucker Air kit and Map supplied by Jamie at FuelMoto. Very pleased with the performance so far, and only slight backfire noticed during low speed decels.

I read somewhere that the optional 21903 Quiet Baffle from V&H had a deeper and somewhat quieter sounder. The deeper characteristic sounds like what is needed to me. Has anyone tried this optional baffle out?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
OutdoorJoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by rgolson
I have these pipes minus the Baffle, on a 2011 FLHTK along with the Big Sucker Air kit and Map supplied by Jamie at FuelMoto. Very pleased with the performance so far, and only slight backfire noticed during low speed decels.

I read somewhere that the optional 21903 Quiet Baffle from V&H had a deeper and somewhat quieter sounder. The deeper characteristic sounds like what is needed to me. Has anyone tried this optional baffle out?
I am also curious about this quiet baffle. I have heard it creates a deeper tone but am curious about how much quieter it gets. My city has cracked down hard on noisy bikes (BS if you ask me.) They are issuing tickets if they can hear you from 200 ft or beyond. (what a joke) I would rather pay $100 for the quiet baffle than have to worry about the $200+ ticket.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had one and had the same issues with the sound. I took the standard baffle out and got rid of the plug in the end which forces ALL the exhaust gas to go through the baffle. It did sound better and not really louder as it changed the exhust note. Then I tried the performance baffle which was worse and actually cost a couple H.P. and TQ! So I would suggest removing that plug and see if you like it. Take a grinder and grind the three welds and punch it out. I finally got rid of the PP and went with the Rush Reaper which is one awesome pipe!

Quick Reply: V&H Pro Pipe baffles