Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
mechmatt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. A few other questions I have, do you have to turn it off or does it kick out when you hit the brakes or pull the clutch? Has anyone installed it themselves and if so was it that hard?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be it commuting and lane-sharing to the ocean, or riding the valleys and mountains in the back country, here in the deep southwest it would be about as practical as a manual typewriter. Of course for long distance drone-driving the cagemobile, you can't live without it!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mechmatt
Thanks for the responses. A few other questions I have, do you have to turn it off or does it kick out when you hit the brakes or pull the clutch? ...
The factory cruise control disengages if you hit either brake, if it senses the engine revving (grabbing the clutch), or if you go +/- 10mph from the set speed.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electronic cruise control is the best accessory I've ever bought for my bike, hands down. Would not trade it for anything.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
oldandbusted
Advanced

I did the install on my bike. Its pretty straight forward, plug in module w/ throttle cable, switch out handlebar controls. a little time consuming but not all that big a challenge

Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Beans HD
6th Gear

I ordered my bike with it and love it. I actually use it on short and long rides.
Disengages when hitting brakes, pulling the clutch, even had it disengage when hitting really rough bumps.

Good luck

Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I use mine all the time and I mean all the time. (unless I'm riding with a group) But if I'm leading I use it.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, road warrior here too. Before I got heated gloves, used the cruise extensively to get my hand off the throttle to warm it up.
Long trips are awesome with cruise.

Also, when on a group ride as Road Captain, they can't believe how smooth you are in the lead.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Not something I thought I wanted when I bought my UC, but it came with the bike so I ended up with it. After having it now for almost a year I can't imagine not having it. Noticed my gas mileage is noticeably better when I use the cruise control and it help with the fatigue factor on long trips. Some people I ride with don't like it but I sure do. When and if I buy another bike, it will have cruise control.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
Cruise control is the best way I found to avoid speeding tickets. There's been a great development on laser binoculars lately, most troopers use them over here. 5 mph beyond the limit costs ~150 USD and they see you from a distance of 1/4 mile !

Quick Reply: Cruise Control. Worth it?