Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no international shipping-whats up with that

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand that not everyone can do it, but I am going out of my way to buy state-side now. F**K the Canadian Monopoloy. We all make sense here, but they are trying to force us to buy from certain markets and as stated, if the prices were competitive, we would have no problem. Its like the MoCo is treating them like spoiled kids and giving in, instead they should be telling them to be MORE competitive in the marketplace and to shut up.

Don't think this is just HD Dealers. In Canada Motovan and Parts Canada have a Monopoly on all motorcycle supplys. They set the price and we have to bend over and grab our ankles and take it.......

Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Theakerr
Re the reference to putting it on the bike, riding back with it on and declaring it. Be very sure what the law says. I am not sure what the Canadian law says for certain. I have read it and it appears to say that if you "improve" a vehicle without getting special permission first you can be taxed on the complete value of the machine. Apparently this rule was introduced a number of years ago to stop rodders from going down to the states to get a paint job or installing new wheels. Thus, putting the tour pack on may be considered as a vehicle improvement as opposed to a necessary repair which is OK. A friend of mine who is into rodding has confirmed this interpretation. Now, when I buy bits in the US I bring them back as items and install them when I am home. Would be interested in other thoughts on this
You should call Canada Customs and confirm this. I have recently traveled to the US specifically to buy new tires for my car and I declared them and just paid the GST on the tire price, nothing more.

This same issue arises with parts and whole vehicles, and I have found that it's just a manufacturer holding its US dealers hostage with threats of pulling their dealership rights. It is ostensibly to protect Canadian dealers. It's crazy, but there are "price zones" in the car sales industry such that I can buy a Porsche for 20% less in California than I can in Vancouver, but I can buy Porsche parts for 25% less in Vancouver than anywhere in the USA. Figure that out!!

The manufacturer's conspiracy theory is confirmed by the fact that Canadian dealers will not honor the warranty on a US spec car (they can tell by the VIN).

Also, importation of a vehicle into Canada depends upon the manufacturer providing a "recall clearance letter" for the vehicle indicating that all recalls have been complied with. Porsche and BMW and Jaguar charge $1000.00 for that letter, and Ducati charges $500.00, even if there are no recalls on that make/model.

Many Canadians I know go down there and have a local purchase the vehicle and "sell" it to the Canadian, who then drives it across the border, paying the required duty and taxes. I have brought 2 motorcycles and a number of cars and Canada Customs doesn't care about anything other than the $$$. A friend makes a portion of his living bringing up motorhomes, trailers, and motorboats and brings up many each year.

Last edited by BrianG; 11-02-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
CaioCaFe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not just for Canada - Brazil have this issue too

I'm trying to buy Softail Passenger Footboard Support Kit-50399-07A in Brazil for one year, and no dealer have it.They just tell to come back in the end of the month but nothing happened till now.

Last time I asked the price it was costing US $480 but part was not available.

In US it costs US $140.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy Crap! I had no idea it was that bad!
Wish I could help you guys out.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
42gunner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Zmann
Advanced

Buy it off of EBay there are several that are new never used. You may have to have it painted. However you can get one with lights hinges etc much cheaper then new.

Last edited by Zmann; 06-22-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Jackazz
Advanced

Deeley Canada is a joke!!!
A difference of 8000.00 to 10000.00$ on a new bike bought in Canada as opposed to the U.S..
I'm sorry, but if you have bought a new HD in Canada you have been hosed!!
Go down and buy a new low milage ride from our U.S. neighbors and save yourself some cash. Then you can pick up any parts while you're down there too!!

Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 AM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackazz
Deeley Canada is a joke!!!
A difference of 8000.00 to 10000.00$ on a new bike bought in Canada as opposed to the U.S..
I'm sorry, but if you have bought a new HD in Canada you have been hosed!!
Go down and buy a new low milage ride from our U.S. neighbors and save yourself some cash. Then you can pick up any parts while you're down there too!!
I don't think there is that much difference in the price of the bikes, parts are very high. I bought a new black 2011 rkc with abs, security, 103 and cruise for $21,500. What did you guys in the states pay for the same bike?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by CaioCaFe
I'm trying to buy Softail Passenger Footboard Support Kit-50399-07A in Brazil for one year, and no dealer have it.They just tell to come back in the end of the month but nothing happened till now.

Last time I asked the price it was costing US $480 but part was not available.

In US it costs US $140.
According to one USA dealer I just checked:

"International Shipping Changes

Due to a change in the Harley-Davidson Motor Company policy and regulations, effective August 1, 2011, [dealers] will no longer be allowed to ship any Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Parts, Genuine Motor Accessories (including Screamin’ Eagle) and MotorClothes products, internationally. We encourage you to contact your local Harley-Davidson dealer to purchase any of the above items mentioned."

You could keep an eye on US Ebay, also the Classifieds here on HDF, to see if you can buy a set somewhere else. I get a lot of my stuff on US Ebay (I live in the UK). There are ways around your problem, you just have to be cunning!

Also be aware that shipping costs out of the USA are expensive and you may have to pay import taxes on shipping into Brazil. It is worth checking those before ordering from a foreign country, if you have never done it before.