Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Tire Valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
drharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Tire Valves

On my '08 FLHX wheels, the tire valve from the factory is the old-fashioned rubber one set at an angle. I want to replace it with a metal valve. Would you advise a short valve or the right angled type? And, is it possible to install the valve without taking the tire off the wheel? I know I've read threads that say wait till you need new shoes, but with all the threads on rubber valve failures, I'd like to get it done now, but removing the wheels and removing the tires and reinstalling them just sounds like too much work. Thanks for your help for this old man.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

The valve stems I have seen are installed from the inside so somehow you will have to get there. Perhaps putting the bike on a lift, remove the schraeder valve and compress the tire bead with a couple of "C" clamps would give access. I looked at the tire on my EG and it "appears" it would work but maybe a tire guy/gal will chime in.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

To remove a valve stem on a car/truck wheel you break bead away from the rim, cut the back side of old valve stem, remove the cut piece inside the rim as it will fall inside. Clean around valve stem hole on the rim. Lube a new stem, place it through the hole from the inside the rim sticking out the hole, attach a valve stem puller and pop it out into place. Remove valve core, add a high volume of air to reseat the tire bead. Pressure up to spec. I dont see any difference in a bike wheel but I think you should remove it from the bike to make it easier, but not sure. Changed many a valve stems but never on a bike. Also if you put that tire sealant in your tire it will make the valve stems leak eventually.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on replacing mine at some time with the ones from http://motorcycleanchor.com/
Interisted to find out if it could be done without dismounting the tire.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Tire Valves-5-valve-star_450x435.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll just wait til I replace the tires.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait until you replace the tires, death is not imminent, it can wait.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait for tire replacement, I'm thinking that wheel balance could be affected.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Shouldn't be that big of a deal but it would be easier with the tire off, at least half way.
Remove the core from the existing stem to let the air out.
Break the bead on one side of the tire.
Fish a wire through the stem and out the side (to catch the inside piece of the stem).
Grab the stem with pliers (vice grips) an pull on it, it will either pull out or break off.
Remove the base of the stem and the wire.
Fish the valve stem installer tool through the hole and out the side.
Attach the new stem to the tool and pull it into place.
Reseat the bead (you may need a gutted air chuck for this).

FWIW I prefer the rubber stems. I have had metal ones leak at the base and have seen more than one cracked.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I been rolling with a set of the motorcycle anchor 84 degree stems in my bag. My 5K service was done in Carson City NV and they did a warranty replacement of the front tire on my 09 FLHP and installed the stem on the new tire. I am really happy with this and can't wait to get the back on installed with a new tire so it will be easier to get a read on tire pressure.

FWIW, I was surprised that 41/42 PSI in the Seattle increased to about 44/45 at Lake Tahoe...

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
drharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj

FWIW I prefer the rubber stems. I have had metal ones leak at the base and have seen more than one cracked.

Have you noticed all the metal valve stems on all the cars and motorcycles that have a TPM device? That's one of the reasons that I want to go metal 'cause I like the idea of being forewarned of an impending "bad" time even if it's only 30 seconds. You've time to put your rider training/experience into auto mode.

Quick Reply: Replacing Tire Valves