Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 AM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
I love this thread because I went with a Joe Blow Ohlins peddler and boy, that was a mistake. Were terrible out of the box and took me forever to get a factory authorized service center to make them somewhat decent.
At the risk of interjecting a technical question into the mix...

What did you have done to the Ohlins to make them to your expectations? Were these shocks for a Harley?

Thanks

Last edited by sel53; 09-18-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:39 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by PTAG
Just remember I didn't start this thread. It was started years ago by someone else who had some not so good experiences with his company. Comments continued over the years and I just added mine. This makes a time-line to help others make informed decisions on how and where they spend their money.
I get that. But to me this entire thread lacks merit. What it comes down to is personality differences. Sure, there's some discontent about Howard's bedside manner from some. We've already covered that no vendor is all things to all people. And yes, I get that there was an unsatisfactory amount of time and frustration with communication that you did not like. But in the end, that pales in comparison to threads that point out truly bad vendors. It's easy to find threads about folks sending money and not ever even seeing their product. Or paying for work, like paint or power upgrades and getting back a mess. Those vendors should be outed. But Howard, on the other hand, will never stop trying to provide the best product possible for his customers. He truly is a dedicated vendor if you were to give him a chance. You pay your money, and you get great results. And even his detractors that have actually bought from him mostly say they ended up with a great product for a fair price. I really don't ever recall hearing otherwise.

So to me, it's an injustice to scare off someone who reads this and buys elsewhere or not at all. Based on track record, odds are very good that they would have had a seamless transaction that they are very happy with. In short, let the individual decide. The worst that can happen is they will decide for themselves that he's not the vendor for them.

Last edited by nevada72; 09-18-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:56 AM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
You pay your money, and you get great results.
That's all I was trying to do. Pay my money and get good results. I know he makes a great product and I would have been extremely happy if I could have bought them from him. I never questioned his ability to make what I wanted. Like the original poster said "so in conclusion, if you want a set of amazing shocks for a good price buy the Ohlins, but just know yo''ll have to take some **** to get them." That is just how he does business. I wish I had found this thread first as I wouldn't have ordered nor posted all this. I just couldn't understand why it would be so hard to buy something. If you take all the emotion out of this and look at what I did I think you will see I tried plenty hard. When he didn't even remember me a few hours later that was what set me off. And his reply of "do you know how many people I talk to in Texas today."

All he needed to say was I am sorry and I will get right on your order as I said I would. I really don't know why you have taken such a personal interest in my business. Whenever you stop posting comments I will do the same. We have both made our points. Like I said I respect your comments. I just wish you could do the same.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:07 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Like when you said I was "misinformed". Or, when you tried to convince people in another thread that Super Shox were emulsified, not oil gas separated like they are, and they should buy Ohlins. Perhaps you have an agenda. Perhaps just a couple honest mistakes on your part. Lots of good info on this forum, and I appreciate others experiences and feedback.
Kuma , you want to lie , and talk about stuff you know nothing about , go ahead. I said you were misinformed about PRICES , you stated Ohlins cost $850 and I said they could be bought for under $600 , I stated Super Shox looked like a basic emulsion shock , if they are a separated then they are a cheap separated shock , most separated shocks have a valve adjust for compression/rebound , Penske and Pro Action have one you use a screw driver on , Ohlins and JRi have a hand adjuster , Super Shox have none. I don't have an agenda , I've tried many shocks and simply try to help people , and for that I'm often attacked as this forum seems to do. But to give you some back ground on the thread you are referring to the OP of it emailed me many times asking for help and I tried to help him. He bought a set of JRi from Howard , the seals leaked and he sent them back several times to JRi . He finally had enough and asked Howard to help get JRi to take the shocks back and refund his money and he'd buy a set of Ohlins. Howard get's JRi to take the shocks back and he then says Howard bad mouthed JRi about this whole deal , I thought it was not professional so I bought Ohlins from another vendor. Now he can't get the Ohlins adjusted right , he ask me to help and I gladly tried several times. He decides he wants a new front end now and contacts Howard who tells him you are no longer my customer I will not sell you anything. I tried to help him several more times but now he is pissed at Howard and Ohlins so he goes in another direction completely , he bought 20mm cartridges which will not perform as well as Ohlins 25mm cartridges that he could have bought from Fuel Moto or who ever . He makes comments on his post that I don't agree with and I correct him, so he messages me to change my post because it is making him look bad . I told him I've tried to help many people on this forum that have contacted me , you included and just because I've had great service from Howard I am under attack , why don't you call out the other vendor that offered you no service after the sale , fair is fair , I stand by my post and will not change them . So you see often you read one thing and don't know the whole story but still many on here don't care they just prefer to stir the pot.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:20 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

PTAG , I don't want to argue but I call BS on your thread. If you wanted to buy the shocks you would have called him back one more time. When you started your post you had already decided to move on and you knew how this thread would go. I'll take your word that you called and emailed him and he said if you send him the build sheet right away he'll email you back an invoice and if you pay right away he can ship them the next day. He delayed sending you an invoice ,I'll take your word on all this. So the worst that would happen is your shocks would have been another day getting to you. If this is the worst thing that ever happens in your life you are lucky. I don't buy you were concerned he wouldn't ship them. Out of everyone that has had an issue with Howard , ripping them off , not shipping their order , keeping their money has never been said. You simply wanted to do what you have done create something for you to do. Yes you should have called again if you really wanted them , why ? Sometimes people forget you just spoke or confuse you with someone else when you just spoke because they are busy , have a lot on their mind , are tired , medication they are on and many other reasons , no one is perfect and I prefer to give someone the benefit of doubt . If you called again and were still not happy I would have moved on and not posted here.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

I really don't know why you have taken such a personal interest in my business. Whenever you stop posting comments I will do the same. We have both made our points. Like I said I respect your comments. I just wish you could do the same.
Lol - it's a thread on a forum! That's all. I'm commenting with my opinion like everyone else. And I've explained my take on where I think this falls on the scale of failed customer service - minor. You see it otherwise. You are entitled to your opinion and and I do respect that. Your first post wasn't that bad and you were simply another person who didn't appreciate the service you received. But then you kept on going, and going, and going. After awhile it was over the top on what I consider a breakdown in communication that could fall on you as much as Howard - despite your claims and numerous examples.

I say this because after all, Howard has many more satisfied customers, including myself, than not. And when I hear a story like this, whether I know the vendor or not, my suspicions are raised.

That's all. I've explained my take. Feel free to have the last word.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM
PTAG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tj316
PTAG , I don't want to argue but I call BS on your thread. If you wanted to buy the shocks you would have called him back one more time. When you started your post you had already decided to move on and you knew how this thread would go. I'll take your word that you called and emailed him and he said if you send him the build sheet right away he'll email you back an invoice and if you pay right away he can ship them the next day. He delayed sending you an invoice ,I'll take your word on all this. So the worst that would happen is your shocks would have been another day getting to you. If this is the worst thing that ever happens in your life you are lucky. I don't buy you were concerned he wouldn't ship them. Out of everyone that has had an issue with Howard , ripping them off , not shipping their order , keeping their money has never been said. You simply wanted to do what you have done create something for you to do. Yes you should have called again if you really wanted them , why ? Sometimes people forget you just spoke or confuse you with someone else when you just spoke because they are busy , have a lot on their mind , are tired , medication they are on and many other reasons , no one is perfect and I prefer to give someone the benefit of doubt . If you called again and were still not happy I would have moved on and not posted here.
That's you opinion but doing business this way is not normal. I am glad you are ok with it.

As far as shocks, I just placed my order with another forum vendor. I won't say who it is on this thread because that is not this thread's purpose. I'll post it on my own thread. I will tell you this. After talking with Ohlin they don't like this guy saying he has to "build" their shocks implying they are not ready to use out of the box. They have discussed that with him. In my case I ordered from a vendor who will have my shocks set up by Ohlin and drop shipped to me. They are shipping today and like I said I will post my own review after I get them on.

TJ316, I will move one but as long as you continue to address posts to me I will reply. Like other's have said if you were treated as I was you would be pissed also. And if you continue to question what I posted I will be glad to post all emails here to prove what I am saying is true. I didn't record the calls but I do have the emails. This can continue as long as you want. This entire situation is really none of your business.

Take care,

Harold

Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 AM
PTAG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nevada72
But then you kept on going, and going, and going. After awhile it was over the top on what I consider a breakdown in communication that could fall on you as much as Howard - despite your claims and numerous examples.

That's all. I've explained my take. Feel free to have the last word.
Bob,

I do agree this has gone over the top but it's hard not to reply when what I have posted is continuously questioned. The reason I posted it in the first place was because I was stunned. Not mad, just stunned. I had only read good things about Howard. I had not seen this thread. I could go on but I have ordered elsewhere and know I will be happy with the shocks. I do feel bad that Howard spent time helping me and then dropped the ball. I really did try to buy from him. You can believe it or not.

Ok, I am done with all that. Now I will have to tell you that you have a great looking bike. I haven't seen that color on the road down here yet. The Street Glide I bought was used and is black. I swore I would never buy another black bike. Now I have two of them in the garage. Seems like I am always fighting the swirls in the paint. Just too hard to take care of.

You take care,

Harold

Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

PTAG , I hope you are happy with your decision , I truly do , but Ohlins can say what they want to , Howard custom builds shocks all the time. Part of the problem helping one of the guys I tried to help was we both bought Ohlins HD-357 shocks (Howard's #6) they come 13 1/4" in length . If I bought them from Ohlins or any of their dealers they would be 13 1/4" in length. He wanted to use my settings and I kept telling him you can't mine are custom. I told Howard I wanted my shocks 12 1/2" , he did some figuring and said I had to either leave them stock or he could make them 12.323" for me which I ordered. No one else could do this .

Old 09-18-2015, 11:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

I do agree this has gone over the top.
True!

Ok, I am done with all that.
Thank heavens for mercy! The sun is out, the weekend beckons, take some time out, in the saddle.......

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins