Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

I love this thread because I went with a Joe Blow Ohlins peddler and boy, that was a mistake. Were terrible out of the box and took me forever to get a factory authorized service center to make them somewhat decent. Do it over again? Yeah, but with Howard as his gruff demeanor is easier to handle than the frustration I went through to get something that's just average at a premium price. Suspension technology really is a science - that's why the NASCAR teams have one guy dedicated to just that.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:24 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Because a dumb SOB like me bought shocks from him without all the hand wringing you are doing. In fact, it went just fine and I'm happy with my purchase. And as mentioned, I'm the kind of dumb SOB who doesn't mind working with people and communicating with them to resolve an issue. I'm also the kind of dumb SOB who would never post up another man's communication like a b*tch. WTF is this - The Jerry Springer Show? Sorry, but you're being a chick. Grow the f*ck up.
The problem I have with you is you can't read. Go back and look at how many emails and phone calls I made. Read my first post. Hopefully you can read. When he can't remember who the hell I am for a couple of hours it's hard to work with him.

I did everything except drive to Florida and hand him cash. What kills me is when people like you get on here and defend stupid.

You know, after several emails, several phone calls, all in the same day and the guy can't remember who you are something is wrong. So don't come on here and tell me I didn't call him!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
I love this thread because I went with a Joe Blow Ohlins peddler and boy, that was a mistake. Were terrible out of the box and took me forever to get a factory authorized service center to make them somewhat decent. Do it over again? Yeah, but with Howard as his gruff demeanor is easier to handle than the frustration I went through to get something that's just average at a premium price. Suspension technology really is a science - that's why the NASCAR teams have one guy dedicated to just that.
So it's a tradeoff...you have to have a high tolerance for dealing with someone that likes to belittle...most people I know won't put up with much of that crap, if any!

Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Boy, there seems to be some folks here that are seriously butt hurt!

Right, wrong or indifferent I get that you feel short changed. I understand why you felt you wanted to complain about it, but day after day and post after post you go on and on...

Isn't there something, anything in your life more important than some vendor (who you did not buy from) not being as nice to you on the phone as you thought you deserved? Kids having a birthday, friends throwing a party, getting laid maybe. Doesn't anything ever take your mind off off of this supposed slight?

Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Boy, there seems to be some folks here that are seriously butt hurt!

Right, wrong or indifferent I get that you feel short changed. I understand why you felt you wanted to complain about it, but day after day and post after post you go on and on...

Isn't there something, anything in your life more important than some vendor (who you did not buy from) not being as nice to you on the phone as you thought you deserved? Kids having a birthday, friends throwing a party, getting laid maybe. Doesn't anything ever take your mind off off of this supposed slight?
Just a little venting...I wouldn't worry about it...

Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought from Howard and couldn't be happier. He knows what he's doing and gladly shares his knowledge. How good is Howard??? If you buy your shocks from him and can't get them set up or you don't like him or it's too far away...he won't buy you lunch...whatever you can give Ohlins USA a call. They know Howard and will support anything he sells. This is from my conversation with (Joel?) @ Ohlins US in Hendersonville NC.

In fact, for a small fee you can ride in and they will set up your shocks from Howard.

AND....they will gladly sell you a set of Ohlins shocks at a higher price.

Do your homework. Quichyer bitchin. And do whateverthe fork suits you.

Some people. And IBTL. I'm surprised this has gone on this long.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default The truth

Let us get something straight, Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:24:43 -0400 PTAG, the OP sent me in a order sheet found on my web site. This is not a paid invoice or did any money change hands. Harold AKA PTAG has never been my customer. Yesterday at Sep 16, 2015, at 9:22 PM I sent him an invoice and how to pay. The same day but much earlier Yesterday 02:35 PM this guy starts this thread as he is not sure what to think. If I do my math properly it took me about one day to answer back but that was not good enough.

I have customers who are first attended to because they are customers which this OP never was. I start work at 4:30am and answered his e-Mail (according to his return e-Mail) at Sep 16, 2015, at 9:22 PM. That is 19 hours at work. What more do you want from me. I work 7 days a week and do as much work in those hours as I can do. I quit last night at 11pm.

He sent me an e-Mail right after I sent him an invoice (around 24 hours after him sending in his request) Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:39:38 -0500

I almost was going to send you payment but to be honest I really
don't trust you now. What I mean by that is I don't think I can
trust you to send me my shocks in a timely manner. I can seeing me
getting upset trying to get you to send me something after I paid.
I don't want to have to call and call. I just don't need the stress.

This is certainly not what I expected when I first talked to you. I
had not seen the thread on Hdforums before I ordered from you. I
only found it after I didn't get a reply from you. Your
non-response prompted me to do more research.

As bad as I need the shocks I just don't think I want to do business
with you. I am sure your way of doing business works for many. I
just can't do business that was. As they say, it's not personal,
it's just business.

Good luck in the future,

Harold

Remember 24 hours later. Like I should drop all of the building of shocks for other paid customers and know, out of the many e-Mails I receive every day, that Harold the OP should be put in front of the line and serviced immediately. It does not work that way.

I e-Mailed him back this AM once I had a chance of reading my e-Mails. 09/17/2015 9:33 AM (GMT-06:00)

As I said that I am very busy and I have about 100 e-Mails per day to
answer. I build each and every pair of shocks to the customer which
takes me 2 hours. If you can not understand that than you are
correct, you are not my customer. I do not wish you do respond any
more so than you for being so honest. I will also be honest, I am
removing you from my records and I am happy you did not have any
dealings with me as I am sure it would turn out for the best for me.
It is just business.

Thank You, Howard G. Messner

The OP answered:
Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:53:53 -0500 [11:53:53 AM EDT]

Howard,
Are you really serious? I gave you an order and you ignored it. You are so disorganized you don't know which way is up. You need to stop insulting me in email and on the forum. If you don't stop I won't either. I'll post all email you send me. I will not stand for you trying to make me look bad for trying g to buy something from you. I practically begged you to take my money. You are so disorganized you didn't even realize you had my order.
Thank you, Harold

The very last thing you want to do is threaten me on what you are going to do. If you think I will not stand up to a big tough biker who is whining about not getting preferential treatment or the world to stop turning just because you think you are entitled for the world to stop, well I have got a tip for you. It does not. Also, just because you have money to spend and you feel hurt because a prostituted to money vendor does not have ESP and immediately served you than I will tell you to your face that you are sorely mistaken with some of us. I do not and have never wanted to be associated with a person who behaves in such a manor as you have on even a Harley motorcyclist forum such as this. Had I ever known how you act I would have just hung up the very first second you called and I spent much time with you. I will never have anything to do with a person who has your outlook on life and your entitlement you feel as you have. If anyone here feels as though this is correct behavior on the OP's part please just move on and know I never wish to subject myself to this type of behavior. The money means nothing. Do you have anything more to say?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:18 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default the real JMC22

Originally Posted by JMC22
I'm glad to hear your experience with Howard was memorable and lasting - I won't try to change your feelings toward him but I think it's only respectful that you extend the same to those of us that have not have the same fortunate experiences as yourself and not call us liars.
I drawn MY own conclusions from MY personal experience I have had with Howard in that I will never use his services again as the JRI shocks I bought from him 1.5 yrs ago, he does not deal with anymore and I was left to fend for myself to have repaired.
If you think the forums are a joke - then why read and or post here?
I have let you go on a few posts and not said a thing. Let me introduce you to the real JMC22 who I had sold JRI shocks to. A few years ago I sold him some JRI shocks and he put them on his bike which he sold. During this time I had left representing JRI and never had anything more to do with them. JMC22 (real name omitted) removed his JRI shocks and put them on his own bike. JMC22 did not put on Never-seize nor any kind of protection against electrolysis (dis-similar metals). When he took the shocks off he found that he had destroyed the aluminum end eye bobbins. He called me and I explaned that I have nothing to do with JRI and I have no access to their spare parts. I suggested he send them into the factory for repair. After four months nothing was done and he got nowhere. He needed them to go on a trip if I remember correctly & I told him I would help him out. He shipped me his shocks and the very next day of receiving them I brought them up to the machine shop and had Miguel (machinist) make new ones. I drove the 35 miles each way and than billed him for 1/2 hour machine time and the exact same amount for shipping back to him.

I hear from him hedging like he wanted me to pay for shipping and for Miguel's 1/2 hour machine time. He paid and came on here sniveling how poorly he was treated by me.

Let me get something straight here, you received aluminum bobbins that worked and were new. YOU are the person who destroyed them. I did not do that. I was the person who took the time out of my day, drove to the machine shop & back to get them out immediately and did not charge you one single dime for my efforts. Miguel goes to work to feed his family and has no shared joy in the knowledge you ride your motorcycle. You experienced what JRI helped you out than you have the audacity to think I would pay for your problems you created for yourself. You were the person who installed your shocks unprotected. I did you the favor by wasting around 5 hours total straitening out your problem without charging you one penny. You got to be one of the most ungrateful persons I have ever met. Now, is that not the truth and if it is not I will copy and paste both your various e-Mails as well as your invoice. Another person who thinks everyone owes them something for free. You are really a piece of work.

I drawn MY own conclusions from MY personal experience I have had with Howard in that I will never use his services again as the JRI shocks I bought from him 1.5 yrs ago, he does not deal with anymore and I was left to fend for myself to have repaired.
I am calling you a Lair.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:24 PM
possum528
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Another satisfied Howard Messner/Motorcycle Metal customer here.

It was a few years ago when I purchased two sets of JRi shocks for my and a brother's Electra Glides. We are very satisfied with them. I think it was around a week to ten days from when I first called Howard to the day they arrived. He and I spoke at length on the phone almost every one of those days.

When I read the posts about how mean, abrupt, or disorganized Howard is I just shake my head and wonder what it is people expect in life.

To Howard: Keep on truckin' man. You do good work.

Joe

Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by PTAG
Did a lot of research. And I mean a lot. I concluded that Ohlin's were what I wanted. And from what I could tell this guy Howard was the place to go. At the time I had not found this thread.

your first email, did you ID yourself as a forum member?

5. Tuesday, 11 pm I send him a copy of the automated email I received back from him To his email or the automated reply one? only matters if the auto one does not get read for replies as it is set up for receiving order forms

7. Wednesday, Noon. I am napping and the cell phone starts ringing. I can't get to it quick enough so it goes to voicemail. I got up at about 12:30 and looked to see who it was. It was a call form Howard! Finally he was ready to process my order! I am getting excited now. He must have a question about my order. So I listen to the voicemail from him. He says "This is Howard from Motorcycle Metal. I received an email from you on Sunday and calling to see how I can help you. Please call me back"

What????? I am not believing this! I get on the computer and he has replied to my Sunday email saying he has left me a voicemail.

Does sound like you talked to him before he read the original email and was treating you as two separate customers
End first post #240 which opened a dead thread praising Howard.

2nd post #247 you have already decided not to buy.
3rd post #254 with promises no more posts, just once more to belittle Howard
4th post #263 more of same to let us know how bad he is to you This Howard guy is nuts!
5th Read my first post. Hopefully you can read. Now you attack an opposing view.

In summary you became what you accuse Howard of being along with the others who support your view without ever planning on calling him. It seems to be OK for you and them to call down Howard or anyone that defends him but no one can say that you are at fault. I surmise your post 240 was to resurrect a negative view of Howard and motorcycle metal, you never intended to purchase any shocks.

BTW, I purchased JRI shocks from Howard 2 years ago and they continue to work well. I understand that he no longer deals with them directly. My next set will be Ohlins or whatever he is selling at the time. we have gone through this derogatory comments several times on this forum only to find that there are many more satisfied members than unsatisfied, but many have stopped replying to this nonsense.

what Nevada & Tj316 said

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins