Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:07 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by massparanoia
I think Howard knows that you can't make 100% of the people 100% happy 100% of the time. There are certain people out there that could be sold gold plated, diamond studded shocks that install themselves, set there own sag, and then suck you off and still wouldn't be happy.
I want some of what you're smoking bud - ohh wait, never mind, it's legal here in Colorado so if you run low send me an email & I'll keep you on that high your on....

Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by massparanoia
I think Howard knows that you can't make 100% of the people 100% happy 100% of the time. There are certain people out there that could be sold gold plated, diamond studded shocks that install themselves, set there own sag, and then suck you off and still wouldn't be happy.
Doesn't mean he gets to embarrass only certain customers, that he chooses, in this forum, whenever he has the inclination...

Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
LOL...You know me? doubt it. I can tell you this much if I had your supposed "talent" I would be far better off than you CLOWN..you obviously have no idea on how to run a business. Just keep talking your crap and letting these morons stroke you on this forum. I would ride on struts before I bought anything from you..

And before the mods get all jumpy just tell me what this so called "business" sponsor pays to get on this forum and do nothing but bad mouth his "customers" I will gladly pick his tab up..

Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Last post on this subject:)

I promise this will be my last post on this subject. I really shouldn't waste my time with this post but just can't help it.
-------

1. Received a email tonight at 8:49 pm Saying "could you just please call me tomorrow?"

2. Received the next email at 9:15 pm. It was an invoice with payment instructions. I am wondering is he sending it to PTAG on the forum or the other guy who ordered the shocks. I am still not clear if he know if we are one in the same.

3. Received another email at 9:22 pm saying I should have received an email with the invoice a few hours ago. 7 minutes is nothing close to 3 hours.

-----
I sat here for a while looking at the invoice. I really need, no want, some new shocks.

After thinking about this whole deal for about 10 minutes I came back here and re-read Howard's earlier response to me. He asked me "what do I think he did all day?"

That kind of nailed it for me and here is a cut and paste of my reply to his email:
-----------

Howard,

I almost was going to send you payment but to be honest I really don't trust you now. What I mean by that is I don't think I can trust you to send me my shocks in a timely manner. I can seeing me getting upset trying to get you to send me something after I paid. I don't want to have to call and call. I just don't need the stress.

This is certainly not what I expected when I first talked to you. I had not seen the thread on Hdforums before I ordered from you. I only found it after I didn't get a reply from you. Your non-response prompted me to do more research.

As bad as I need the shocks I just don't think I want to do business with you. I am sure your way of doing business works for many. I just can't do business that was. As they say, it's not personal, it's just business.

Good luck in the future,

Harold

----------
So, i have already starting looking around for other places to buy the Ohlins or something else. Not sure what to do at this point. What a disappointment.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:29 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PTAG
I promise this will be my last post on this subject. I really shouldn't waste my time with this post but just can't help it.
-------

1. Received a email tonight at 8:49 pm Saying "could you just please call me tomorrow?"

2. Received the next email at 9:15 pm. It was an invoice with payment instructions. I am wondering is he sending it to PTAG on the forum or the other guy who ordered the shocks. I am still not clear if he know if we are one in the same.

3. Received another email at 9:22 pm saying I should have received an email with the invoice a few hours ago. 7 minutes is nothing close to 3 hours.

-----
I sat here for a while looking at the invoice. I really need, no want, some new shocks.

After thinking about this whole deal for about 10 minutes I came back here and re-read Howard's earlier response to me. He asked me "what do I think he did all day?"

That kind of nailed it for me and here is a cut and paste of my reply to his email:
-----------

Howard,

I almost was going to send you payment but to be honest I really don't trust you now. What I mean by that is I don't think I can trust you to send me my shocks in a timely manner. I can seeing me getting upset trying to get you to send me something after I paid. I don't want to have to call and call. I just don't need the stress.

This is certainly not what I expected when I first talked to you. I had not seen the thread on Hdforums before I ordered from you. I only found it after I didn't get a reply from you. Your non-response prompted me to do more research.

As bad as I need the shocks I just don't think I want to do business with you. I am sure your way of doing business works for many. I just can't do business that was. As they say, it's not personal, it's just business.

Good luck in the future,

Harold

----------
So, i have already starting looking around for other places to buy the Ohlins or something else. Not sure what to do at this point. What a disappointment.
=====================================

Check these PRO-Action shocks for HD Touring bikes.

http://street.pro-action.com/

This post about your experience with Howard has me really considering going with pro action shocks that i have heard/read good things about including great customer srvc too.

And @ pro-action you dont have put up with any negative sarcastic type treatment if you happen ask a few questions about shocks & or ask for a a shock rec especially when spending $600-$800.

Good luck.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-17-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 AM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

To clarify Howard, 1) I was directing my question to Hoblick for my own edification. 2) I have no connection to the ("your") companie(s) I linked, I simply explored different vendors for shocks. I have no personal knowledge on their operation, if they build shocks or not. 3) You are incorrect, I do wish to investigate that is why I've asked questions on this forum, and looked at various sites (yours included), etc. 4) The drop down menu, as I mentioned was at Ohlins USA, which listed HD 022 (The convienience of a drop down menu is not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes or Ohlins USA, apparently).

To say I do not understand or wish to investigate is not true. I was not asking about building shocks to my specifications, I was simply searching for a shock designed for my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHarley View Post
Let me reply:
When I simply offered some suggested links (I had been researching the Ohlins shocks for my bike) to the original OP, here's how Howard responded:

To Kingspoke: Unfortunately you do not understand nor wish to investigate what the facts are before posting. The reason why there is no drop down box is because we make any shock (within reason) fit the application. That's right, make them. No shock in the box. You must provide personal detailed information so the shocks you receive can be built for you prior to receiving them.

You may also consider that your aforementioned company only sells the few described shocks (for your bike) that comes in a box. No one there can build or service a shock. Just put the shock in a box and ship it,. no one there that can answer your technical questions, no one there who rides, tests & owns the product! I guess lastly, I support and partly make this site available for your viewing and participation while the company you mention does not.

I ended up buying my Ohlins shocks from Hardracing and I recently bought my Ohlins cartridges from Fuelmoto, Brian by the way, provided great customer service. I really don't need vendor being condescending particularly when my comments were not even directed towards him.

I got good set up info. from Ohlins USA and Fuelmoto (also a sponsor), who set up many shocks for Harley riders and they were courteous and helpful. Just because Howard has technical knowledge does not excuse his condescending behavior. Oh, by the way Howard, I'm a paying member too, but thanks for partly making this site available!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:27 AM
Mello03
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO, I think this guy is related to Trump. Say anything remotely negative and he throws a temper tantrum and calls you a moron, ***, poser, etc. Don't even think about constructive criticism either. Too funny. I'm not in the market for shocks, but I can't stand giving my money to people who have a hard *** attitude and think they're doing you a favor by taking you're money, even if you're getting a great product. Glad I'm not in the market right now because I'm sure I'm blacklisted now for commenting. Of course I'm just a uninformed idiot and negative poser who wants second class product and anything but the best.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

I'm going to get called leg-humper or whatever by you Nancys for this for sure but, sack up! Geez. If you don't like the service you received, move on. It's not like the guy called your wife ugly or something. This whole discussion sounds like some of the crap I tune out when a 14 year old girl starts her phone call out with "OMG! Would you believe....?"

And PTAG - why didn't you just call him? It sounds like he was trying to make things right.

Some of you guys need to understand that not all businesses are the same. You can go to Motorcycle Superstore and in a few clicks order basically whatever you want. Hell, if that part is sold on Amazon, you can buy in 1 click. But Howard's business is old school. He does it that way because it's not a "1 click" process. It involves interaction. And when you are in demand, you interact with a lot of people. And some people don't have employees because their standards are high. No one does your business as well as you. I've btdt and it's no fun apologizing to a customer because an employee screwed the pooch. And after a few of those complaints, it's now your reputation that is at stake, not the employees. But it's a double edged sword - as was said earlier - it's hard to please all of the people all of the time. When you're a limited production outfit, you know that all too well.

So give the guy a break. He works hard and he's good at what he does. But he's not a factory that spits out shocks on demand. He's just a guy who runs his own show, which personally, I respect. But I allow for people to be human because I've been on that side of the counter. Is he the guy for you? Maybe not. If you don't like the format of the business, move on. There are a lot of nice folks out there that sell shocks.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ

....there are guys out there that treat customers the right way that want your business so do you research and get the shocks from someone else!! He gave you the shocks you needed now do your part and call someone else that does ohlins or call racetech, works performance, etc...Hell your retired you have all the time in the world!! BTW I ran works on my 2012 streetglide and was very happy with them.

+1 Fox, Super Shox, Race Tech, Ohlins, Progressive, Works... They are all different and worth considering.

Coming from the softail family with only a couple shock options, the touring side of shocks is amazing. To buy a totally custom built shock for you in length, valving, spring rate, for only $550 is too good. Works.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm going to get called leg-humper or whatever by you Nancys for this for sure but, sack up! Geez. If you don't like the service you received, move on. It's not like the guy called your wife ugly or something. This whole discussion sounds like some of the crap I tune out when a 14 year old girl starts her phone call out with "OMG! Would you believe....?"

And PTAG - why didn't you just call him? It sounds like he was trying to make things right.

Some of you guys need to understand that not all businesses are the same. You can go to Motorcycle Superstore and in a few clicks order basically whatever you want. Hell, if that part is sold on Amazon, you can buy in 1 click. But Howard's business is old school. He does it that way because it's not a "1 click" process. It involves interaction. And when you are in demand, you interact with a lot of people. And some people don't have employees because their standards are high. No one does your business as well as you. I've btdt and it's no fun apologizing to a customer because an employee screwed the pooch. And after a few of those complaints, it's now your reputation that is at stake, not the employees. But it's a double edged sword - as was said earlier - it's hard to please all of the people all of the time. When you're a limited production outfit, you know that all too well.

So give the guy a break. He works hard and he's good at what he does. But he's not a factory that spits out shocks on demand. He's just a guy who runs his own show, which personally, I respect. But I allow for people to be human because I've been on that side of the counter. Is he the guy for you? Maybe not. If you don't like the format of the business, move on. There are a lot of nice folks out there that sell shocks.
Nevada...we'll just have to "agree" to "disagree" about this...not a customer and will never be, so only give a crap in the area of publicly berating people, which he needs to stop doing on this forum...

If he did on here to you, what he did to PTAG and others, you'd be pissed too...tell me you wouldn't and you'd be lying...

No one on here has to take that crap from him just to buy Ohlins shocks...hopefully they are reading this too...

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins