Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PTAG
Guys, I am not sure what to think.

I just picked up a used Street Glide 2 weeks ago with 7,000 miles on it. I quickly understand it needs some shocks. Did a lot of research. And I mean a lot. I concluded that Ohlin's were what I wanted. And from what I could tell this guy Howard was the place to go. At the time I had not found this thread. Here is a factual, Step by step, of where I am at so far. I hope Howard takes the time to read this so he will understand why I am sitting here perplexed about buying from him.

1. On Sunday, 9/13/15, I write Howard an email supplying him in detail who I was, what I have, how I ride, who rides with me, etc. and ask for his help in deciding what shocks to buy from him.

2. Monday, 9/14/15, It's 11 pm and time to hit the sack. No reply from Howard. Understandable. Only been 1 business day.

3. Tuesday, 9/15/15, n 10 a.m., no reply so I call Howard. He seemed liked a nice guy. He spent a lot of time with me providing me with the information I needed to decide for myself what I needed to buy. I figured out real quick he was not going to make the decision for me and I understood why. We did, together, come to the conclusion that I wanted #2-#2(B). He said with my specifications all he needed to do was take a set out of the box, set them, test them, and he could get them out today...Tuesday. I thought cool, I could get them and have them for the weekend. He explained the ordering process. Basically use his form to send in the order. He reviews it and sends you an invoice with the ways to pay. You pay and sit back and wait for your shocks. He did suggest I first read two articles to confirm my selection and gave me the links. I read them both and felt good about my decision so I places my order. I received the automated email telling me my order had been received. I called Howard back to let him know I had sent the order.

4. Tuesday, 5:00 pm. Got home from work and no invoice yet. I am wondering what's the deal. Afterall he was going to get them out today, Tuesday. OK, I give it another hour and then call him. He answers and I ask where he is at on my order. He doesn't even remember who I am! I tell him I am the guy in Texas that talked to him for 30 minutes today and ordered a pair of shocks, ete, etc. His reply is...Do you know how many people I talked to in Texas today?? Goes on and one about how busy he is. I said I understand and glad he was doing so well but again told him I would like him to process my order. He says he understands.

5. Tuesday, 11 pm. Time to go to bed and still nothing from Howard. I send him a copy of the automated email I received back from him and reminded him again I want to give him some money in exchange for some of his shocks.

6. Wednesday, 11 AM. Nothing from Howard. I pretty much decided at the point he doesn't want to sell me anything. Not sure why. I have been pleasant to him. Great conversation. Just sitting here shacking my head. I decided I was not calling him again. I would just wait on him. Decided to take a nap. That's what us retired guys do at this time of day

7. Wednesday, Noon. I am napping and the cell phone starts ringing. I can't get to it quick enough so it goes to voicemail. I got up at about 12:30 and looked to see who it was. It was a call form Howard! Finally he was ready to process my order! I am getting excited now. He must have a question about my order. So I listen to the voicemail from him. He says "This is Howard from Motorcycle Metal. I received an email from you on Sunday and calling to see how I can help you. Please call me back"

What????? I am not believing this! I get on the computer and he has replied to my Sunday email saying he has left me a voicemail.

Now, if I were you I wouldn't believe all this I have written but I promise you this is exactly what happened. I just don't understand this whole deal. Maybe I am in the twilight zone. I still haven't given up but certainly concerned at this point. What if I order from him. Will I ever get my product.

That's it and that's where I am.

Howard, I hope you read this and understand how strange this seems to me.

Now for all you flame throwers, there is nothing wrong with this post. It's factual. I just want to do business with Howard. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I just want to send him money for shocks! I think
The way I see this guy Howard is he could really care less about his customers but if everyone keeps sending him orders then he can and will continue to be this way plain and simple...there are guys out there that treat customers the right way that want your business so do you research and get the shocks from someone else!! He gave you the shocks you needed now do your part and call someone else that does ohlins or call racetech, works performance, etc...Hell your retired you have all the time in the world!! BTW I ran works on my 2012 streetglide and was very happy with them.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The narrative does not surprise me. Let's just say Howard can be a little eccentric. I had to call him a few times and follow-up on my order. that being said, the 2.5's that I bought from Howard are one of the best upgrades I have done on my bike. Be patient, he knows what he is talking about and sets up the Ohlins like no one else will.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:48 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

who knows what happened , but the comment he doesn't care about your order is 100% not true , Howard goes out of his way to satisfy people more than any vendor I've seen , he can be short and to the point at times but understand he is a one man show , he answers the phone , emails , builds shocks , rebuilds shocks , ships and receives all by himself , he works 7 days a week usually 12 hour days , he could have a lot going on , a little tired or what ever , but I'd call him back if it was me , good luck

Last edited by tj316; 09-16-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:31 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Answer

Guys, I am not sure what to think.

I just picked up a used Street Glide 2 weeks ago with 7,000 miles on it. I quickly understand it needs some shocks. Did a lot of research. And I mean a lot. I concluded that Ohlin's were what I wanted. And from what I could tell this guy Howard was the place to go. At the time I had not found this thread. Here is a factual, Step by step, of where I am at so far. I hope Howard takes the time to read this so he will understand why I am sitting here perplexed about buying from him.

1. On Sunday, 9/13/15, I write Howard an email supplying him in detail who I was, what I have, how I ride, who rides with me, etc. and ask for his help in deciding what shocks to buy from him.

2. Monday, 9/14/15, It's 11 pm and time to hit the sack. No reply from Howard. Understandable. Only been 1 business day.

3. Tuesday, 9/15/15, n 10 a.m., no reply so I call Howard. He seemed liked a nice guy. He spent a lot of time with me providing me with the information I needed to decide for myself what I needed to buy. I figured out real quick he was not going to make the decision for me and I understood why. We did, together, come to the conclusion that I wanted #2-#2(B). He said with my specifications all he needed to do was take a set out of the box, set them, test them, and he could get them out today...Tuesday. I thought cool, I could get them and have them for the weekend. He explained the ordering process. Basically use his form to send in the order. He reviews it and sends you an invoice with the ways to pay. You pay and sit back and wait for your shocks. He did suggest I first read two articles to confirm my selection and gave me the links. I read them both and felt good about my decision so I places my order. I received the automated email telling me my order had been received. I called Howard back to let him know I had sent the order.

4. Tuesday, 5:00 pm. Got home from work and no invoice yet. I am wondering what's the deal. Afterall he was going to get them out today, Tuesday. OK, I give it another hour and then call him. He answers and I ask where he is at on my order. He doesn't even remember who I am! I tell him I am the guy in Texas that talked to him for 30 minutes today and ordered a pair of shocks, ete, etc. His reply is...Do you know how many people I talked to in Texas today?? Goes on and one about how busy he is. I said I understand and glad he was doing so well but again told him I would like him to process my order. He says he understands.

5. Tuesday, 11 pm. Time to go to bed and still nothing from Howard. I send him a copy of the automated email I received back from him and reminded him again I want to give him some money in exchange for some of his shocks.

6. Wednesday, 11 AM. Nothing from Howard. I pretty much decided at the point he doesn't want to sell me anything. Not sure why. I have been pleasant to him. Great conversation. Just sitting here shacking my head. I decided I was not calling him again. I would just wait on him. Decided to take a nap. That's what us retired guys do at this time of day

7. Wednesday, Noon. I am napping and the cell phone starts ringing. I can't get to it quick enough so it goes to voicemail. I got up at about 12:30 and looked to see who it was. It was a call form Howard! Finally he was ready to process my order! I am getting excited now. He must have a question about my order. So I listen to the voicemail from him. He says "This is Howard from Motorcycle Metal. I received an email from you on Sunday and calling to see how I can help you. Please call me back"

What????? I am not believing this! I get on the computer and he has replied to my Sunday email saying he has left me a voicemail.

Now, if I were you I wouldn't believe all this I have written but I promise you this is exactly what happened. I just don't understand this whole deal. Maybe I am in the twilight zone. I still haven't given up but certainly concerned at this point. What if I order from him. Will I ever get my product.

That's it and that's where I am.

Howard, I hope you read this and understand how strange this seems to me.

Now for all you flame throwers, there is nothing wrong with this post. It's factual. I just want to do business with Howard. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I just want to send him money for shocks! I think
I would have just suggest to call. However you chose not to do that and post on here. Calling back might have been better. I get up at 4:30 am and hit my computer answering e-Mails. Many that have nothing to do with what I am doing but I offer unrelated help. This takes time just like this e-Mail does and takes me away from working. I received a phone call about this post from another member. I do work on the shocks but I devoted time to do e-Mails all day. Yes, I receive many phone calls and just like yours, it takes a lot of time as I never hang up without answering all of yours and other customers concerns & technical questions.. I can either do e-Mails, build shocks, or answer posts. I can not do two things at a time. If I called you is because because your simple order form could have been filled out incorrectly like some are. When that happens, I call and as in your case I call to rectify and process the order.

I am sorry when I called at noon on Wednesday/today. You said that "This is Howard from Motorcycle Metal. I received an email from you on Sunday and calling to see how I can help you. Please call me back". Did you actually think I wanted to just talk mindlessly to you? I needed the correct information on the forum you sent so I could send you an invoice.

I always start working from very early in the AM to usually 10pm and I do this since early January until today, 7 days a week. So much for DynaJ: The way I see this guy Howard is he could really care less about his customer. Another clown who knows nothing but negativity and has not accomplished anything.

PTAG What do you think I am doing all day? My phone rang very little so the phone was not busy if you would have tried calling. I will be working up until around 10pm tonight.

Tomorrow I am going to take maybe 1 1/2 hours off to go to the dentist around 11am until ?

Last edited by FastHarley; 09-16-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I would have just suggest to call. However you chose not to do that and post on here. Calling back might have been better. I get up at 4:30 am and hit my computer answering e-Mails. Many that have nothing to do with what I am doing but I offer unrelated help. This takes time just like this e-Mail does and takes me away from working. I received a phone call about this post from another member. I do work on the shocks but I devoted time to do e-Mails all day. Yes, I receive many phone calls and just like yours, it takes a lot of time as I never hang up without answering all of yours and other customers concerns & technical questions.. I can either do e-Mails, build shocks, or answer posts. I can not do two things at a time. If I called you is because because your simple order form could have been filled out incorrectly like some are. When that happens, I call and as in your case I call to rectify and process the order.

I am sorry when I called at noon on Wednesday/today. You said that "This is Howard from Motorcycle Metal. I received an email from you on Sunday and calling to see how I can help you. Please call me back". Did you actually think I wanted to just talk mindlessly to you? I needed the correct information on the forum you sent so I could send you an invoice.

I always start working from very early in the AM to usually 10pm and I do this since early January until today, 7 days a week. So much for DynaJ: The way I see this guy Howard is he could really care less about his customer. Another clown who knows nothing but negativity and has not accomplished anything.

PTAG What do you think I am doing all day? My phone rang very little so the phone was not busy if you would have tried calling. I will be working up until around 10pm tonight.

Tomorrow I am going to take maybe 1 1/2 hours off to go to the dentist around 11am until ?

LOL...You know me? doubt it. I can tell you this much if I had your supposed "talent" I would be far better off than you CLOWN..you obviously have no idea on how to run a business. Just keep talking your crap and letting these morons stroke you on this forum. I would ride on struts before I bought anything from you..

And before the mods get all jumpy just tell me what this so called "business" sponsor pays to get on this forum and do nothing but bad mouth his "customers" I will gladly pick his tab up..

Old 09-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HUGGERS!!!! MOUNT UP!!!

Old 09-16-2015, 06:35 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley

Howard,

What is wrong with you? Are you really serious? I have bent over backwards trying to support this forum. HDFORUMS.com is my favorite motorcycle site on the internet. I have had over 50 bikes since 1996 (That was when I was working). I always try to support this sites vendors. I just bought a Power Vision from Fuel Moto. They are an example of a vendor who knows how to do business. Best customer support I have had in my 62 years.

After reading my post instead of posting your BS reply here you should have called me and apologized and then asked me for my order. YOU STILL HAVEN'T CALLED ME FOR MY ORDER!! Was I not clear in my previous post? I have called, email'd, and as a last resort posted here so you would take my order and send me some shocks. I have never worked so hard trying to give business to a forum sponsor.

I now understand you don't want my business. I just don't understand why. I am not and have not talked bad about you but I will make a suggestion to you. Get some help. Find a hot honey to work the phones and take the orders. Basically run the business side of your business. Do what you do best, make shocks and educate. I think your are a talented guy but you can't do it all. This is what kills a lot of small businesses. I bet you have missed a lot of business over the years.

Howard, I did everything you asked. I emailed you my specs. I listened to you and learned what you needed me to learn. I read the documents you asked me to read. After understanding all that I placed my order. I did my part. You just didn't do yours. I am sorry you cannot own up to your issues. Quit giving excuses and get your act together. Don't promise what you cannot deliver. That's what you did to me. When you can't remember talking to me in the morning when I call you in the evening you are way overwhelmed.

Howard, I truly mean no disrespect, but you won't get my business. I'll ride the damn screwed up Harley shocks before I will order anything from you. You took time to type some crap here instead of taking the time to call me and complete the order. You took your time to post more crap here instead of sending me an invoice.

Take care Howard. I wish you luck in all your business endeavors. I am now going to spend my time researching other options and vendors. I am hoping there are other vendors that support this forum sell shocks.

Thanks everyone for reading all this.

PTAG

PS. WHOEVER CALLED Howard about my post. Please call him again and see if he remembers you calling before

Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM
DennyCrane
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No soup for you!!!

You can always try Ohlins from another vendor, but they won't have MMs special shim stack mix. But they can be good.

SuperShox have been getting a lot of press here lately too.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Howard,

What is wrong with you? Are you really serious? I have bent over backwards trying to support this forum. HDFORUMS.com is my favorite motorcycle site on the internet. I have had over 50 bikes since 1996 (That was when I was working). I always try to support this sites vendors. I just bought a Power Vision from Fuel Moto. They are an example of a vendor who knows how to do business. Best customer support I have had in my 62 years.

After reading my post instead of posting your BS reply here you should have called me and apologized and then asked me for my order. YOU STILL HAVEN'T CALLED ME FOR MY ORDER!! Was I not clear in my previous post? I have called, email'd, and as a last resort posted here so you would take my order and send me some shocks. I have never worked so hard trying to give business to a forum sponsor.

I now understand you don't want my business. I just don't understand why. I am not and have not talked bad about you but I will make a suggestion to you. Get some help. Find a hot honey to work the phones and take the orders. Basically run the business side of your business. Do what you do best, make shocks and educate. I think your are a talented guy but you can't do it all. This is what kills a lot of small businesses. I bet you have missed a lot of business over the years.

Howard, I did everything you asked. I emailed you my specs. I listened to you and learned what you needed me to learn. I read the documents you asked me to read. After understanding all that I placed my order. I did my part. You just didn't do yours. I am sorry you cannot own up to your issues. Quit giving excuses and get your act together. Don't promise what you cannot deliver. That's what you did to me. When you can't remember talking to me in the morning when I call you in the evening you are way overwhelmed.

Howard, I truly mean no disrespect, but you won't get my business. I'll ride the damn screwed up Harley shocks before I will order anything from you. You took time to type some crap here instead of taking the time to call me and complete the order. You took your time to post more crap here instead of sending me an invoice.

Take care Howard. I wish you luck in all your business endeavors. I am now going to spend my time researching other options and vendors. I am hoping there are other vendors that support this forum sell shocks.

Thanks everyone for reading all this.

PTAG

PS. WHOEVER CALLED Howard about my post. Please call him again and see if he remembers you calling before
Don't worry PTAG...not your fault...this isn't the first time he's done this to a good paying customer...actually got a reputation on here...

Take a look at the Super Shox...good reviews on here...

Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Howard knows that you can't make 100% of the people 100% happy 100% of the time. There are certain people out there that could be sold gold plated, diamond studded shocks that install themselves, set there own sag, and then suck you off and still wouldn't be happy.

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins