Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:34 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosco61
How do I get ahold of this guy.
No nonsense good product I'm in.
Got a 15 RK I need new rear suspenders for.
Scroll up to the post by FastHarley. That's him. His contact info is in his sig line.

Fwiw, I just had a nice conversation with Howard. He's walking me through the process of selecting the right shocks for me. As a heads up to others who are looking to get shocks from Howard, there are a couple of links to do some homework so you can have a little better knowledge of how shocks work and how to choose the right one.

shock pre-purchase considerations -
http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/downl...iderations.pdf

Touring Ohlins explained
http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage26.html

Order form - (so you know what info you will need to provide)
http://www.trac3.net/motorcycle-metal/orderform.cfm

A lot of the questions asked on this thread are answered in the above links.

To some it may seem like a lot of leg work to just buy some shocks. But, you're not just buying some off the shelf Progressives from Howard. You're getting the exact right shock for your particular set of variables. That takes some thought and only you can choose what's right for you. Obviously, Howard takes the info and works with you to get the right tool for the job. But knowing what to ask for makes his job easier and your results better.

I'm looking forward to learning more and getting my suspension dialed in to transform our rides.

Thanks again Howard for the nice chat. Talk to you soon.

Last edited by nevada72; 03-28-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:00 PM
DennyCrane
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BL-FLHX
... and was suggested to get the 13.25". Does that make your ride sit much higher?
Compared to stock shocks there is a good chance the sag on the Ohlins would put your ride height at the same place.

But make sure that the shock mounting bolts don't hit your pipes when the shocks are fully extended (like with rear wheel off the ground, or when fully unloaded after a big bump).

Mine did that so I had to shorten the overall length.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I am also looking into buying from howard and was suggested to get the 13.25". Does that make your ride sit much higher?
I don't know what model bike you have but on my FLHX these shocks are 1.25" longer than my stock shocks have me sitting a touch higher than stock. Not much and I cannot tell you a number but it feels a touch taller. Now with no rider on board, when the bike is on the sidestand, it sits about an inch taller. I have been using Ohlins shocks since 1979 and they never disappoint.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 PM
BL-FLHX
Novice

I ride a 2009 FLHX. How much shorter did you have to go to miss the pipes?

Old 03-28-2015, 05:17 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I am running an aftermarket 2-1 that ends short of my axle. I had the pipe on before I fitted the Ohlins. Maybe someone else is running the stock exhaust and can answer that.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the same year an model and was running the # 6s Howard sells using a D&D fat cat and did not have any contact issues.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:59 PM
ProtonDecay
Stage III

I will join many others in singing the praises of Howard Messner.

Just finished the first road trip with Howard's #6's on my '06 FLHTCUI and couldn't be happier. I do not know how he did it, but Howard got close, damn close, to having the shock set up perfectly out of the box across my entire range of usage. Here's the deets:

1) Bike - used '06 FLHTCUI, 120R, Redshift Cam (137/145), 34 tooth front pulley, Racetech GVCE front-end, removeable tourpak and relocator, a bunch of chrome and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't matter.

2) Rear shocks - #6 (Ohlins 927 adjustable length), set up by Howard. Previously had Progressive 944-4020 (10k miles), and stock (10k miles).

3) Riding modes: 60% 1-up, no tourpak; 20% 1-up w/tourpak, 10% 2-up no tourpak, 10% 2-up w/tourpak.

4) Of these modes I now have 550 miles 1-up w/tourpak and 250 miles 1-up no tourpak.

5) The 1-up w/tourpak is dead on - those miles are mostly superslab or non-aggressive smaller highway driving, and the ride is simply unbelievable compared to either stock (mushy and bottoming with that load even at 25lbs pressure) or the 944's (harsh and bottoming, even with pre-load adjusted). These #6's float like a shock should, compressing and rebounding smoothly over bumps and potholes; no bottoming (and our sorely neglected CA roads tried hard, very hard). 550 miles to/from San Jose to the Redwood Run (up 280 through SF, down 880 through Berkeley). Lots of pavement conditions (all dry) handled with no surprises. Very, very happy with this, and no longer dread the 1600 mile two-day run to Sturgis.

6) The 1-up no tourpak ride is close, very close. Without the 90lbs of tourpak, mounting bracket, relocator and gear inside the tourpak, the suspension is noticeably firmer, but still way less harsh than the 944's. What is really amazing is the road holding improvement. I took the 25 mile road from Redway to Shelter Cove - up and over two ridges down to the coast, no curve warning signs to cheat from, high variability in turn radii, a few blind decreasing radius turns, and a few off-camber turns. No hops, no unexpected rear tire slippage, no bottoming, just very linear, consistent, reliable, predictable absorption with no heat-fade. I thrashed it as hard as I could (this is still an FLHT, not a CBR, after all) and was grinning ear-to-ear the whole time. With the 944s I could scrape chrome on every turn. With the added length of the 927's I really had to push it to catch a floorboard. I am going to try a click or two off the compression to see if I like that even better, but like I said, close, damn close.

7) Purchase - went without a hitch. I sent in my form, then called Howard, who said he could build them that afternoon if I was firm on the order. I then went to my BofA and transferred the money, no problem, and Howard provided a tracking number a couple of hours later. Howard also provided a huge discount (available, I believe, to all HD Forum members) from list. Even if he didn't, these shocks are worth every penny. The shocks showed up a few days later, perfectly packed with easy to follow installation and adjustment docs. Howard even included an extra set of lower load springs, free of charge, just in case! Wow!

8) Howard - he has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about suspension. Having worked with engineers in SV for 30 years I've learned that some of them can be, let's say, confident in their abilities. Trust me when I say that an engineer who actually is as good as his confidence indicates is worth his weight in gold, any day of the week, and Howard is a perfect example of one who is highly capable. Give Howard room to work and respect his abilities, and you won't be disappointed.

9) Next steps - planning a ride with my better half on pillion this weekend. May get in a run up to Alice's, try some different settings.

10) Summary - all-in-all I am extremely happy with how these shocks are working out. I was already happy with the Racetech front-end, but the Ohlins and Racetech together are almost synergistic. I highly recommend Howard to anyone looking to improve their HD suspension.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure there are many like me that don't care how a shock is built or what it needs to do a certain job, I just want it to work for me. I attempted once to work with Howard but his style isn't for me. This isn't a meant to be mean spirited just a personal observation. He knows shocks and fluidic's amazingly well and I know what I do amazingly well, not everyone can do everything. Being a business owner requires tact. That said if you can deal with it I'm sure you're going to get a good shock.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:40 PM
PhilB
3rd Gear
Default Wow.

Well, it took me a few days here and there to read this 200+ post thread. I was going to call Howard tonight to talk about options for my bike, but it's now later than I would like to be called in his time zone, so I'll do it tomorrow morning.

UPDATE

Just had a perfectly pleasant conversation with Howard, and we share some of the same experiences (I was a professional H-D Technician for almost a decade). Just filled in the preliminary order form for his #4 - 2 for my FXRS-SP....I am kinda eyeing the #5 as well, to be honest, but...do any of you who have compression/rebound damping adjustment ever change them? Specially if you always ride solo?

SECOND UPDATE

Well, I was wondering why I hadn't gotten my invoice/an email back after filling in the form. Turns out some spammers used Howard's email as a "From", causing him to get blacklisted, and lose emails from approximately 20 people, including me. This was good, because it gave me a chance to have another good chat with Howard. I actually upsold myself (Howard will be the first to tell you that he can't decide for you) on the #5 - 3. After taking Howard's advice and jacking the bike up and measuring the current shocks, the #4 -2 I originally wanted or the #5 - 4 I was then looking at would have been too tall. The bike already looks like a dirt bike.

I don't know if I'll ever adjust the compression or rebound damping, but I'll have the options. Just waiting for my invoice now, and we should be in business!

Last edited by PhilB; 07-01-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:35 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not Sure What To Think!

Guys, I am not sure what to think.

I just picked up a used Street Glide 2 weeks ago with 7,000 miles on it. I quickly understand it needs some shocks. Did a lot of research. And I mean a lot. I concluded that Ohlin's were what I wanted. And from what I could tell this guy Howard was the place to go. At the time I had not found this thread. Here is a factual, Step by step, of where I am at so far. I hope Howard takes the time to read this so he will understand why I am sitting here perplexed about buying from him.

1. On Sunday, 9/13/15, I write Howard an email supplying him in detail who I was, what I have, how I ride, who rides with me, etc. and ask for his help in deciding what shocks to buy from him.

2. Monday, 9/14/15, It's 11 pm and time to hit the sack. No reply from Howard. Understandable. Only been 1 business day.

3. Tuesday, 9/15/15, n 10 a.m., no reply so I call Howard. He seemed liked a nice guy. He spent a lot of time with me providing me with the information I needed to decide for myself what I needed to buy. I figured out real quick he was not going to make the decision for me and I understood why. We did, together, come to the conclusion that I wanted #2-#2(B). He said with my specifications all he needed to do was take a set out of the box, set them, test them, and he could get them out today...Tuesday. I thought cool, I could get them and have them for the weekend. He explained the ordering process. Basically use his form to send in the order. He reviews it and sends you an invoice with the ways to pay. You pay and sit back and wait for your shocks. He did suggest I first read two articles to confirm my selection and gave me the links. I read them both and felt good about my decision so I places my order. I received the automated email telling me my order had been received. I called Howard back to let him know I had sent the order.

4. Tuesday, 5:00 pm. Got home from work and no invoice yet. I am wondering what's the deal. Afterall he was going to get them out today, Tuesday. OK, I give it another hour and then call him. He answers and I ask where he is at on my order. He doesn't even remember who I am! I tell him I am the guy in Texas that talked to him for 30 minutes today and ordered a pair of shocks, ete, etc. His reply is...Do you know how many people I talked to in Texas today?? Goes on and one about how busy he is. I said I understand and glad he was doing so well but again told him I would like him to process my order. He says he understands.

5. Tuesday, 11 pm. Time to go to bed and still nothing from Howard. I send him a copy of the automated email I received back from him and reminded him again I want to give him some money in exchange for some of his shocks.

6. Wednesday, 11 AM. Nothing from Howard. I pretty much decided at the point he doesn't want to sell me anything. Not sure why. I have been pleasant to him. Great conversation. Just sitting here shacking my head. I decided I was not calling him again. I would just wait on him. Decided to take a nap. That's what us retired guys do at this time of day

7. Wednesday, Noon. I am napping and the cell phone starts ringing. I can't get to it quick enough so it goes to voicemail. I got up at about 12:30 and looked to see who it was. It was a call form Howard! Finally he was ready to process my order! I am getting excited now. He must have a question about my order. So I listen to the voicemail from him. He says "This is Howard from Motorcycle Metal. I received an email from you on Sunday and calling to see how I can help you. Please call me back"

What????? I am not believing this! I get on the computer and he has replied to my Sunday email saying he has left me a voicemail.

Now, if I were you I wouldn't believe all this I have written but I promise you this is exactly what happened. I just don't understand this whole deal. Maybe I am in the twilight zone. I still haven't given up but certainly concerned at this point. What if I order from him. Will I ever get my product.

That's it and that's where I am.

Howard, I hope you read this and understand how strange this seems to me.

Now for all you flame throwers, there is nothing wrong with this post. It's factual. I just want to do business with Howard. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I just want to send him money for shocks! I think

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins