Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

First , I want to say most of N2VSW's post is BS. Howard is not some huge corporation that has a girl answering the phone , a shipping and receiving clerk , a shock assembler , an installer and so on , if that's what you want move on . He is a small company in which he does almost everything himself and goes way beyond to offer great service . I've read post on here where he was returning calls while he was in the hospital after an accident , answered and returned calls on weekends and so on . If he didn't get back to you fast enough call him back or buy else where as you did , but to come on here and stated he doesn't build custom shocks IS A BOLD FACE LIE . Call Ohlins and try to order a set of HD357 shocks that come 13 1/8" in length and tell them you want them 12.323" long and see what they say , yet I have them on my bike , or ask them for a set of 30mm fully adjustable fork cartridges for your forks when their catalog only shows 25mm non adjustable and see what they say , yet I have these too . Howard custom builds everything he sells and to state less is a lie.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 663 Likes on 412 Posts

I plan to call Howard soon and order a pair of Ohlins for our 11 SG. What length are you SG riders using on your bikes?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:08 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would patronize Motorcycle Metal for many reasons, one of them being he doesn't take any chit from sissy mommy's boys.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:51 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

The great thing about this forum is you can read and read into what ever you want, in the end we all make our own educated decisions on what to do.
I have my own opinions of Howard from my dealing with him - he may sell a good product - If that is all I needed from him it would have been fine.

You see with your eyes
But you perceive with your mind.....

Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint44
I plan to call Howard soon and order a pair of Ohlins for our 11 SG. What length are you SG riders using on your bikes?
I jumped up to 13.25" and I would go to 13" or 13.25" again.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:55 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

WTF is with the Howard bashing this week? I didn't know Harley riders were such a sensitive bunch. I would think that most guys into this stuff would have dealt with no nonsense types somewhere along the line. Or maybe the new Latte dealerships have softened folks up.

The man knows his stuff and is unapologetic about it. I like that and he'll be receiving an order from me shortly.

If I need some affirmation and a neck rub I'll look at home. For shocks, Howard's the man.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 AM
N2VSW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to be careful in what I posted for this very reason. I simply posted my experience in dealing with Howard. I very clearly stated he is knowledgeable in what he does and I didn’t base that on posts found on the forum but my own conversations with him. I would normally let this go since it serves no purpose to argue over an opinion. Since Howard called BS and went point by point, I would like to rebut some of his statements. More so since I bought from him and wasn't bashing despite what some may think.

We spoke several times concerning the shocks and you recommended the 2.5 every time. I will concede that “push” was the wrong word. You are correct, I could have purchased the more expensive #3 or the less expensive #2. It was my decision to purchase what you recommended.

You very clearly stated that you “build” the shock. What exactly do you think build means? To a lowly knuckle dragger like myself, that means you take individual components and you “build” the shock. Did you design it? As I said, technically yes. Did you actually build it this way? That was open to discussion. I was VERY clear when I said to everyone reading the post “I’ll let you decide”.

I find it amusing that you state the people I talked to at Ohlins don’t know what they are talking about. The very same people who supply you with what you sell. I called and asked them about a shock that they don’t openly advertise. They told me you asked for this shock and they built it this way per your request. I didn’t ask about the #6 or the #3, who built it, who designed it, or who tested it. Quite frankly I didn’t care. I was concerned with the #2.5 that I was considering. One of the people who told me that shock is an off the shelf item was Jerry Wohlgemuth Technical Representative at Ohlins. I have his email stating it. I’m sure you know him because he certainly knows you. If you have an issue with this then I suggest you take it up with the folks at Ohlins. This is what two different people there told me. The shocks are produced in Sweden and the only thing added is the spring based on weight. Do you take them apart and check them? I don’t know and if you do that’s great. I never said you didn’t. Do you modify the stroke? There are enough posts that prove you do. I never said you didn’t.

I never checked the forums for the answer concerning warranty. I never really thought about looking. It was easier to simply call Ohlins. They verified they would be and that was good enough for me. Why you felt the need to make this an issue is beyond me.

You are correct, a dealer can sell for whatever they want. I simply stated another dealer was less than you. I didn’t see any downside and simply said it was another option. The reason I went to another dealer in the first place? That’s the next point.

I asked about the cartridges on Mar 3rd and again on Mar 6th. You responded to me on Mar 7th. . You indicated you had 3 different types, you carried the oil, they didn't come with the tools and that you would get back to me soon. I hadn’t heard back by Mar 18th (11 days later) I figured you didn’t care about so I ordered elsewhere. You took the time to email me about the oil and how many types of cartridges you had etc but If you had simply stated “hey I’m at Daytona, I’ll get back to you when I return” I would have completely understood and waited. I didn’t find out you were at Daytona until after I had ordered elsewhere as I stated in my post.

The next part is what really floors me. You are not sorry for not getting back to me and you’ve got the nuts to say it on an open forum. I completely understand being at Daytona as a vendor. I even understand not having time because you sold shocks to local customers and were busy installing them. I would think the better answer would be, hey I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you in the hopes I would buy from you next time.

I’m sure this will cause many to defend or vilify Howard. I stated in my post that I got what I paid for and I have no complaints. I would have bought the cartridges from Howard if I had heard from him sooner. I purposely did not mention who the other dealer was knowing that Howard is a sponsor of this forum and I respect that. I took a risk in depositing almost $800 into a bank account of a vendor whom I don’t know. I did so because no one has ever been stiffed by Howard and enough people vouched for him (including Ohlins)that I felt comfortable enough purchasing from him. Did I have another option? Yes. FuelMoto who is also a sponsor of this site carries Ohlins for the same price. I’ve spent my share of coin with them but purchased from Howard because he was the suspension guy. Did you lose a sale? Yes, you lost mine. How many others won’t buy from you because of your response? I don’t know. What I do know is it’s not hard to find people here who won’t buy from you because of your attitude.

Before I get off the soapbox, tj316 you might want to break out the cheaters when reading a post before you call BS. I never indicated Howard is a large corporation. It's pretty evident he's a one man show. The guy I ultimately bought the cartridges from is a one man operation in Jersey. Works out of his house and he’s the guy that always answers the phone. I chatted with him enough to know he’s installed these before from some of the the tips he gave me. Oh, I never stated Howard doesn’t build custom shocks either.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
WTF is with the Howard bashing this week? I didn't know Harley riders were such a sensitive bunch. I would think that most guys into this stuff would have dealt with no nonsense types somewhere along the line. Or maybe the new Latte dealerships have softened folks up.

The man knows his stuff and is unapologetic about it. I like that and he'll be receiving an order from me shortly.

If I need some affirmation and a neck rub I'll look at home. For shocks, Howard's the man.
Bashing?? Did you miss the happy birthday thread? The shock threads provide the highest entertainment value of anything discussed on the forum. This forum is unique however in the absolute lack of objectivity when ohlins and the favorite vendor are involved.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

N2VSW, I understand what you are saying but recommend letting it go as you won't accomplish anything on here going tit for tat.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmusg
Bashing?? Did you miss the happy birthday thread? The shock threads provide the highest entertainment value of anything discussed on the forum. This forum is unique however in the absolute lack of objectivity when ohlins and the favorite vendor are involved.
I disagree you SOB!!!!! The oil threads have the highest entertainment value!!!

It's true, that these forum discussions can head south quickly and soon, everyone is swinging their purses.

My perspective on this is that Howard is the best at what he does and to ride him down over a couple of emails and phone conversations is counter productive. Especially when even the negative threads (as few as they are) say that in the end, they got a great product from a knowledgeable source.

As someone said on the other thread like this, we're all grown men here. Personalities vary. We all know that. When it comes to dealing with someone who is clearly at the top of his game, I for one am willing to work with their proclivities.

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins