Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by flhrbill
Look up the High Seas Rally, we have many people from the UK on the cruise.

Looking forward to installing the Ohlin shocks. They won't be here until January and that is the middle of winter in little Rhode Island. If we get a day about freezing I'll be out for a test ride.
January wow ! If you ordered them from Howard they would be cheaper and you would have them in a week. On the last set I ordered from Howard for my wife's sportster he threw in a second set of springs just in case she wanted a little softer ride. I didn't ask for them, he just included them in the box with a note. Just sayin.

Last edited by Sailrider 1; 11-15-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
January wow ! If you ordered them from Howard they would be cheaper and you would have them in a week. On the last set I ordered from Howard for my wife's sportster he threw in a second set of springs just in case she wanted a little softer ride. I didn't ask for them, he just included them in the box with a note. Just sayin.
I can get the rear shocks now but the fork suspensions won't be out until January. I should have specified that. I'm getting everything shipped at one time. Nothing is cheeper than free. I won them on the High Seas Rally cruise.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
My friend says, if you don't bottom out once in a while, that means you're not using the full travel of your shocks.
You can bottom out many times and never know it. I think what most people are referring to is bottoming out with a thud and driving the seat upwards. Bottoming out lightly can occur quite a bit and unless you have a zip tie on the shock shaft as reference you won't know for sure, unless it's a bone jarring event.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
They obviously haven't enjoyed thousands of miles of bottoming-out free riding!
Or never used their entire suspension travel.

Originally Posted by qtrracer
You can bottom out many times and never know it. I think what most people are referring to is bottoming out with a thud and driving the seat upwards. Bottoming out lightly can occur quite a bit and unless you have a zip tie on the shock shaft as reference you won't know for sure, unless it's a bone jarring event.
Agreed!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just received email back fro Ohlin. I will be getting the Single Rate Springs.
OK, thanks for the info. I was wondering because they have a set of multirate springs for that shock. Most folks prefer the single rate springs for performance, but the progressive or dual rate springs are not just to be cheap.

Most (all?) manufacturers provided some form of multiple rate spring (i.e., the rate, lbs/in, varies from less to more with preload and as the rider load increases). They do this so a single suspension setup can support the light single rider as well as the bulky Harley guy with his sveldt spouse/gf, with only a twist of the preload setting. It's not all bad, because a lot of us do just that.

That said, it is pretty uniformly asserted by racers and suspension folks that suspension performance is significantly better with single rate springs tuned for the bike weights, rider weight, shock damping setup, and riding style.

Best,

Old 11-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I can get the rear shocks now but the fork suspensions won't be out until January. I should have specified that. I'm getting everything shipped at one time. Nothing is cheeper than free. I won them on the High Seas Rally cruise.
Wow, that's awesome. Your right, yours were much cheaper ! Enjoy them.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to me (I already own ohlins (ordered from a re-seller at a very fair price (not MM), but after ohlins usa talked with me extensively about set-up options).
I knew a litle about shocks, but knew a lot more about the type of roads I ride and how I ride.
I think it would be a great service the MM customers for MM website to be re-designed into an easy and understandable format.
I think Howards frustration (and resultant attitude to potential customers) would be reduced if the above were implemented.
I also think the Howard could explain on the website just what precisely goes into "building" or setting up the shocks a customer chooses, there-by making them "their decision"
I believe that basically consists (after deciding style) of deciding spring rate, valve action and oil weight. This is where the customer has no knowledge.
If the website is not easy to understand, or lead a customer to understand how a shock works, just how is the customer to decide, AND THEN know that the shock they spent $$ on was the appropriate shock?
The average buyer may become disheartened with the MM site and leave without moving to the point of buying.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

an overwhelming number of people attest that Howard not only talks with them and explains and answers all questions, but also does follow up.
There are a handful that say they did not get that treatment, that he was gruff, had attitude, but you and I were not part of the conversation.
Another happy customer just posted yesterday. notice that he sent Howard an email and Howard phoned him when an email reply would have been enough.
I agree the website needs to be tweaked, but his customer service makes up for it.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

oh, no doubt. I found the site after I bought my shocks. my post was purely me feeling after looking the site over as I have been researching front end improvements.
progressives, ricors, howards, oh! my!
I do know the front end dive of a heavy tourer with my tall 200# frame is not going to continue much longer

Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
FLHTKONE
Advanced

I did my research and decided on Ohlins. Called Howard, who was very helpful, and ordered a set of 2-2 1/2's.

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins