Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Hey Howard, do you have enough for your lawyer yet?

Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm buying the Ohlins 159 and FKC 101 Fork Springs direct from Ohlins in Hendersonville, NC. I have been asked my weight, my wife's weight, percent of two up riding and my riding style. The shocks will be set up according to my preference. The preload is being set to 20mm for two up riding, which I do about 80 percent of the time.

What does Howard do that is any different?

I found the reps at Ohlins to be very knowledgeable, friendly and more the willing to take the time to listen to me. Not everyone will be happy with the same service provider or the same product. I'm very happy with the reps at Ohlins others may not be, so be it. The same can be said for Howard. All comes down to personal preference.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by flhrbill
I'm buying the Ohlins 159 and FKC 101 Fork Springs direct from Ohlins in Hendersonville, NC. I have been asked my weight, my wife's weight, percent of two up riding and my riding style. The shocks will be set up according to my preference. The preload is being set to 20mm for two up riding, which I do about 80 percent of the time.

What does Howard do that is any different?

I found the reps at Ohlins to be very knowledgeable, friendly and more the willing to take the time to listen to me. Not everyone will be happy with the same service provider or the same product. I'm very happy with the reps at Ohlins others may not be, so be it. The same can be said for Howard. All comes down to personal preference.
Howard is an Ohlins agent and sells their products. He is also authorised to alter the build of them and fine tune the settings. He's been building their shocks for us Harley touring owners since before Ohlins started doing so themselves! It is possible he still builds them to a different spec.

He started developing and building bespoke shocks for us by using Penske racing car shocks, building them from Penske components, having developed a build spec himself, and once he had access to Ohlins, did the same. Fortunately for us Ohlins are more affordable than Penske!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

What does Howard do that is any different?.
well here is an opportunity for you to find out first hand. why not call him and compare. Then give us a report. Do post the price you pay direct to Ohlin and the price with forum discount from Howard. It sure will be interesting to see if Ohlin is wholesaling the shocks. If that makes a difference to anyone.

I do know that he took the Ohlins, modified them to work on Harley, no doubt Ohlin copied the change and now sells direct, just like JRI is now selling direct after letting Howard adapt the shock for Harley. JRI did not sell direct before Howard provided the market.

But that is free enterprise. wonder if he gets moody over little things like his supplier copying his business when that was not the agreement?

Last edited by 1Canuck; 11-14-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as the cost for the rear and front suspension direct from Ohlins I can't comment on that. I won the suspensions during a cruise last week called High Seas Rally. Ohlins was a vendor on the cruise and I was very lucky. Not lucky enough to win the 2014 Roadking but I'll take the suspension.

I had been looking at the Ohlins for the last three years but couldn't afford them. I went with the Progressive 444 last year. I'm sure I will be very happy with the Ohlins. As far as Ohlins vs Howard is concerned, I think I'll stay away from that argument. I'm happy with the Ohlins reps. I just was wondering what the difference was. Consider me neutral in this fight.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Howard
Found Howard to be professional and helpful. So not sure whom some of you are talking about. Shocks are great and just make every mile more enjoyable. Thanks again Howard. Wishing you a great thanksgiving and merry Xmas.
Russ

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM
JackedUpBack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
""

I just found Howard to be a terse and condescending turd when I called. I went in with some knowledge, enough I think/thought to have enabled me to ask intelligent questions. I knew what I wanted answered, and was ready to make a purchase after the two of us fairly quickly exchanged pertinent information. Any perceived understanding on my part from Howard was immediately squashed as if I were a complete dipshat, and I had to listen to about 45 minutes of rudimentary information as if it were a right of passage into buying shocks from him. Time that I didn't have.

In the process, I was completely turned off by his unabashed bashing of his competitors products. There's bad, good, better, and best. It may be true that he has "the best", but that doesn't mean that every other product on the market is complete shat, and that's essentially his claim. Ask about anything other than the shocks that he sells; you'll get an interesting earful.

In addition, he also instructed me to go to his website and educate myself and answer questions based on the education I received from his website, all prior to making a purchase. Well, his website is as user friendly as he is a warm and welcoming voice on the phone. Frankly, his website is a piece of shat. If he built that website, then he needs to stick to building shock and shocks alone. His shocks are renown for being top of the line, but his website runs antithetical to his standard on shocks.

I didn't get uptight about it, I simply decided that he was not the guy for me to buy my shocks from. I went with a competitor of his within two days of my experience with him, and I'm very happy. I'm a salesperson in an extremely tough business, thus he simply cannot offend me. That being said, I decided a very long time ago that those whom a choose to do business with will be those with whom it's a pleasure to do business with. Period. The rhetorical question for me is, "why would I give my money to someone that doesn't make me feel great about the transaction? I won't. While he would make you believe that he has no rivals, the truth is far removed from that.

Again, MANY on the site have received product that is renown for being above excellent. I am not taking anything from the product, or their own experiences. I hope that yours is at least tolerable. At my age, I suffer narrow minded bullshat painfully, no matter how skilled one might be in their chosen field of work.

Elaborate enough?!
I barely post anything on here, but I do read threads often.
Being both a past Jaimie customer and a past and current Howard customer, I will admit that there are distinct differences in their "styles" for lack of a better word, I was extremely pleased with both of their KNOWLEDGE on their respective products. I couldn't care less about who wasn't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling on the phone. The website is a tough read....I'll grant you that, without question.

That being said, I'm not a shock expert. I AM however an expert in F'd up backs (hence my screen name) I talked to Howard about replacing the stock shocks on my '10 SG when I bought it because they were not the best thing for me. We decided on 3-3's and I've never looked back. I just put the "new" versions on my '14 SG and they were instantly a 1,000% improvement, which I have come to expect.

Sure, there may be some really nice shocks out there that don't bear the name Ohlins and aren't sold by a guy named Howard. All I'm saying is: I think you might be foregoing something that will make you REALLY dig your bike even more than you already do. They are really so much better than anything else I've ever ridden, and side by side against Brand X, there isn't much of a comparison, in my opinion.
They are built like tanks, They look great, are virtually indestructible, and keep your back tire on the ground at all times, even over some serious stuff. I totally look forward to sweepers, twistys, and all kinds of **** with these things and I'm always incredibly impressed with the way they perform. After 35,000 mi. you send them to (your soon to be BFF ) Howard and have them re-oiled. That's it...put them on find out what a Harley should have been equipped with from the Moco.

In the end, It's your $$ and having a pleasurable experience is important to you, no doubt. But, I'd rather deal with a bad 45 min. phone call and have thousands of great miles than the other way around. I actually had a few funny conversations with him, but I'm from NJ and he's originally from NJ, so maybe I have a thicker skin because people are a little "different" out here. Who knows? It's about your bike and enjoying it.

Ride Safe.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I posted my experience with Howard a while ago, and probably did earlier in this TWO YEAR OLD thread but to summarize:

1. He's long winded. Some guys like that, some don't.
2. The website sucked last time I looked.
3. He's not an internet techie. I had to withdraw a bank direct payment and pay via credit card at a higher price due to the fees. Big PITA.
4. His instructions are different than Ohlins instructions, both came with the shocks.
5. The box didn't match the shocks. Not a biggie but a raised eyebrow.
6. The instructions didn't match my bike - using a spacer or not for proper alignment.
7. The Ohlins rep at the International Motorcycle Show has talked to numerous customers after purchasing from Howard.
8. I have a 34" inseam and he called me a freak of nature. WTF? I wanted taller than stock SG shocks for cornering clearance.

He reminds me of a boss I had, who I really liked, but a real character.

My opinion - fill out Howards form or answer his weight and riding questions and buy the shocks. If you want an education on shocks, you'll get one.

When you install them, there are some good tips, but Ohlins instructions were better.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 11-14-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
No that's some funny **** there...i don't care who you are...

It doesn't cost anything to be nice, but it cost some to not be.

You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression...
Better to educate customers than offend them.

Last edited by beammeup; 11-15-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill, don't be afraid to set the preload (and hence sag) different from what they send you, based on ride.

Do you know if they are giving you single rate springs, or progressive rate springs?

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins