Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I or Dont I//103 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011 | 05:41 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Daryl Garland
07 ultra with 103 stage two, 255 cams. Right at 100 HP and 110 tq. Running Rush pipes. Wanted to stay with duels but wanted performance. I am using torque cones and a 2 1/4 in. Baffle on the right and a 1 3/4 on the left. Using the Screamin eagle tune. Big breather. Manual releases. Love it. Even though the newer bikes run good with their gears I still stay ahead of them with their stage one kits. Sounds awesome. Defenatly feel it in the seat. Do it.
that sounds real good. so how much back pressure do those torque cones introduce....do you recommend them across the board or under certain circumstances.

Old 08-18-2011 | 06:14 PM
equandt
Road Warrior

A 103" engine is just a reliable as a 96", 95" or 88".

With that said, do the 103" with HD parts (new jugs and pistons) and your ESP will be fine. You can probably (talk to your dealer) add a set of SE204 cams as well. Then you'll have a nice, reliable and powerful machine.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2011 | 07:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Touring bike, two up and long trips?? Do the big bore kit with SE255 cams; not much on HP but great TQ cams for a touring bike. Come on early and start fading above 4000rpms, where I am betting you don't spend much time.

Old 08-19-2011 | 01:06 PM
Ultra Dare
Advanced

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
that sounds real good. so how much back pressure do those torque cones introduce....do you recommend them across the board or under certain circumstances.
I called Rush directly. Told them what I have done. I liked the idea of the cones in the headpipe. The rep told me it would direct about 80% of exhaust into the right pipe. The left pipe doesn't even warm up. The right pipe gets hot enough to warm up items in the saddle bag. I would say its more than a 80/20 split.
The cones produce no back pressure. They shape the exhaust plus into a point as it travels down the pipe. This creates a slight vacuum behind the pulse which aids in the next exhaust pulses escape. I would recommend them for anybody. I installed them myself. Just took an evening and removed all my chrome covers and unbolted my head pipe. Was able to install by just pulling the pipes from the head about an inch and a half.
Not that much money.

Old 08-19-2011 | 01:31 PM
Tooth
Cruiser

wHat cam would you guys put in for "touring" as in my wife in I going up a hill on a freeway passing a truck.
Also interesting in know what you guys thing about the effect of that cam size on the longevity of the engine itself.
I am two up most of the time and we do ride distances

Old 08-19-2011 | 01:37 PM
Ultra Dare
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Touring bike, two up and long trips?? Do the big bore kit with SE255 cams; not much on HP but great TQ cams for a touring bike. Come on early and start fading above 4000rpms, where I am betting you don't spend much time.
Correct. I like my 255s. Make sure you use premium gas. The timing window is small because cams are tall. Roll on it with regular gas and will spark knock.
Good power through 4300. Lots of bottom end grunt. I don't need to downshift like others I ride with because of the increased torque.

Old 08-19-2011 | 02:38 PM
Ultra Dare
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tooth
wHat cam would you guys put in for "touring" as in my wife in I going up a hill on a freeway passing a truck.
Also interesting in know what you guys thing about the effect of that cam size on the longevity of the engine itself.
I am two up most of the time and we do ride distances
Well, of course the larger cams will move the valvetrain a longer distance or change the amount of time a valve stays open. If you rode beside me at 30mph you would hear my valvetrain from your bike. That extra work might effect longevity a bit. The touring line now all comes with 103s and they are running the same cam part number as the stock 96s. A displacement change would be most noticeable and be no additional wear. Perhaps you could rent a new bike and see if you like the power. Just remember they changed the gears on those bikes.

Old 08-19-2011 | 03:20 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master

FWIW, my 88" w/ cam upgrade and PCiii is able to keep up with the stock 96s, and depending on what part of the power band...pull away from the stock HD 103. the moral of the story, anything over stock will increase your performance. its just a matter of how much you want to spend, and how far you want to take it.

Old 08-19-2011 | 03:53 PM
Ultra Dare
Advanced

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
They are designed to increase back pressure at low speeds to improve rpm power and torque. At higher revs to produces the venturing which I explained previously.