Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying another bike, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
looneytune
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying another bike, need some advice

I bought my first ever motorcycle, a 2005 Deuce, less than year ago and now I'm looking to buy another bike. Unfortunately, the Deuce isn't comfortable for the wife to be a passenger on. I have her talked into buying another bike and keeping mine since I have put so much money into it this year.
I'm looking at Harley's other "ugly" bike, the Road Glide, to go along with my "ugly" Deuce. I hated the Road Glide at first, but the looks have definitely grown on me. Besides, everybody around here with a bagger has a Street Glide or stripped down Electra Glide to look like a Street Glide. I'm not opposed to the either of those bikes though. I just like the Road Glide because I like to be different.
Every Road Glide owner I have talked to loves their bike with the fixed fairing. Here's my questions in this long winded post.
I know they changed the frames in 08 or 09, is this a "must have" upgrade? Are there advantages in handling between the 3 models that would make a huge difference? I'm looking to hopefully spend between $15-$17k for a good used bike. I'm going to buy the bike that is the best deal overall and the bigger 103 motor might be a deal breaker. Is it worth it over the std engine?
This my first post in the touring section and looking for the same helpful info I was getting from the Softail section. Take it easy on me.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

You should find the H-D test ride truck.

Rarely does H-D intro a "whole new bike"- changes are incremental, an evolution if you will. A change here and there so there are always differences from odel year to model year but rarely a huge, huge difference. 1999's Twin Cam motor/ transmission was a huge change. 2009's new frame was a huge change.

For me ( I have 5 bikes right now, a few H-D over the years including Panheads and Evos):

the 103 was no HUGE advantage over the 96 ( it has slightly more torque, which results in shifting to 6th at 62 mph rather than 70 mph)

the fixed fairing gave too much wind blast ( no helmet) stereo harder to hear- fairing waaay out in front

the batwing fairing I can tuck into the windshield if weather is crap--- it's also a traditional look

I borrowed a roadglide for a 400 mile run, I observed that steady crosswinds cause the bike to take a steady lean into the wind, which in the end gave me sore back and neck...

batwing fairing bikes, winds gust can turn into "steering input" however the huge mass going in a line, tends to want to stay going in that direction.

you probably already know that the frames and drivetrains are shared, suspensions vary a bit.

09 is the new frame.
with the 96, 6 speed, the modern EFI, brembos, ABS, cruise and a pretty good stereo- I am way, way happy with my 09 FLHTC.

get out and do some test riding it's way fun.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-08-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 PM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just posted the other day that to me, the new frame doesn't seem any better. I have an '08 with the previous design frame, and it handles as well as any '10 or '11 I've ridden. I'm like you, the batwing fairing bikes are like rat turds, they're everywhere. I was looking for a Road Glide when I found the Ultra that I ended up buying. I just wanted it to be a little different.
There are just so many more Batwings on the market, so it's easier to find a good deal on them.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

An 09 FLTR in excellent condition in zip code 14120 retails for $16875 so you should be able to get an 09 roadie in your neck of the woods in your price range.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Smilinridin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get what felt right instead of just being different. i have the batwing and love it. however in the same note i haven't ridden a roadie so that may be my next bike. just get what you feel good on and make it your own. good luck in your search.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM
looneytune
Cruiser

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
I just posted the other day that to me, the new frame doesn't seem any better. I have an '08 with the previous design frame, and it handles as well as any '10 or '11 I've ridden. I'm like you, the batwing fairing bikes are like rat turds, they're everywhere. I was looking for a Road Glide when I found the Ultra that I ended up buying. I just wanted it to be a little different.
There are just so many more Batwings on the market, so it's easier to find a good deal on them.
Well I'm glad to hear you say the frame doesn't feel much different. I probably wouldn't know anyway since I have only riddn an older Electra Glide for about 15 minutes. I can barley touch the ground only being 5'4'', so any bike I find will have to be lowered, which only makes the Road Glide look more sporty with a short windshield.
I'm kind of used to the counter steer into the wind, haven ridden snowmobiles for years. 100+ MPH blasts across a windy lake keeps you on you toes. It's good to hear the motor isn't a huge difference too.
I'm going to stick to my original plan and get the best value for the money, be it a Road, Street, or Electra Glide. I like them all. Maybe I can find one with some custom wheels and other add ons. The used bike market seems to be out of whack. If you check NADA motorcycle pricing, a 2010 Street Glide is worth more used than it was new??? I don't get it. Some guys seem to be way out of line asking for more than what their bike was new with add ons. You have to know they are worth maybe half of what was spent for them. I wouldn't ask ask 5k more for my Deuce because of all the stuff I bolted on. I'll keep looking until I find the best deal and hope my wife's work ends their strike gets back to work soon. She makes all the money.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 AM
MoosesUltra09
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging from your sig line ... you found the best deal was on a new one

Old 10-01-2011, 08:00 AM
looneytune
Cruiser

After looking for a few months on eBay and Craigslist, the new one was the best deal. I'm glad Harley's hold their value so much, but I got sick of guys asking new bike prices for used bikes with a few thousand in add ons. Too many unrealistic sellers out there trying to get the tax back they paid on the bike. The dealer took $1600 off this bike with the 103 motor, ABS, security, and cruise. The '12 Road Glide with no options would have been about the same price as this one. So I got the ABS, security, and cruise basically for free since the 103 is now standard. I took the best deal I could and ended up with a great bike. Now I just need to get some miles on it. 45 degrees and raining, perfect riding weather.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Oops, I spoke too quick so I'll take it back and tell you congrats.
on your new bike. Here is to many a happy miles to you.

Last edited by 6 gun; 10-01-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by looneytune
After looking for a few months on eBay and Craigslist, the new one was the best deal. I'm glad Harley's hold their value so much, but I got sick of guys asking new bike prices for used bikes with a few thousand in add ons. Too many unrealistic sellers out there trying to get the tax back they paid on the bike. The dealer took $1600 off this bike with the 103 motor, ABS, security, and cruise. The '12 Road Glide with no options would have been about the same price as this one. So I got the ABS, security, and cruise basically for free since the 103 is now standard. I took the best deal I could and ended up with a great bike. Now I just need to get some miles on it. 45 degrees and raining, perfect riding weather.
What did you end up with? Your sig says 2011 street glide.

I bought my 07 street glide used for $15k with 7500 miles and it was mint! I tore the whole thing apart and best I can tell it has never been in the rain. My buddies 2011 with 4500 miles on it was twice as dirty under the fairing and bags. IMO, I got a new bike.

Quick Reply: Buying another bike, need some advice