Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the front wheel bearing a sealed unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the front wheel bearing a sealed unit?

Was cleaning the bike yesterday and noticed the front bearing looked pretty dirty. Ran my finger around the bearing and it was sorta dark and greasy. Is this unit supposed to be sealed and no grease on the outside of it or is it normal? wasn't a ton but there is enough to leave my fingertip black

I thought it was sealed but very well could be wrong

Last edited by Port Dawg; 08-08-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

TC's use a sealed bearing ( previous, the evos used unsealed bearings which were changed at about 10,000 miles or with any wheel or brake service.)
The sealed bearing will hold most of the grease in, there is also grease on the axle, which can migrate out.
Look at it this way, the grease on the outside, keeps the water from getting in.

Pressure washers are a real no go around bearings---bikes in general.

mike

Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,780 Likes on 3,156 Posts

If you're getting grease on the outside of the bearing, ( it is sealed,) keep an eye on it and replace it with the next tire change.

Harley put cheap single row bearings in all bikes with the 25 mm axles, replacement is getting more common.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine 09 ultra started growling at 17 k changed under warrenty..keep an eye & ear on them ..dealer was just shocked they went out.!!!!!!.No pressure washing on my bike .. rain water only....

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ultrat
Mine 09 ultra started growling at 17 k changed under warrenty..keep an eye & ear on them ..dealer was just shocked they went out.!!!!!!.No pressure washing on my bike .. rain water only....
I bet he was shocked, maybe he stuck his tongue in a light socket. mine went out around 15-20k and they were also shocked. They were shocked about the rear led light, the rear break light switch also.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I had my rear tire replaced on saturday and they discovered one of my rear bearings was toast(20000kms) on my 09 EG Classic.The inside spacer was rusty as well,there is water getting in there some how.I guess I've been riding too much in the rain.I wash her regularly but never use a pressure washer.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

My bike makes a growling noise when taking left corners at cruising speeds. Right corners doesn't do it. Though it might be uneven wear on the rear tire, but after reading this you've got me wondering. 8900 miles on a 2010 FLHTC.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
ironfist_001
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my front wheel bearings went out at about 13k on my 09 streetglide , the non abs side was leaking greese and rumbling, replaced both myself. dealer couldnt keep enough bearings in stock. they ordered 5 and by the time i picked mine up all 4 remaining were promised out

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 09 has had the front bearings replaced twice under warranty. I think the front tire issue that some 09s had might be the cause, certainly couldn't be helping it.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy D
My bike makes a growling noise when taking left corners at cruising speeds. Right corners doesn't do it. Though it might be uneven wear on the rear tire, but after reading this you've got me wondering. 8900 miles on a 2010 FLHTC.
Mine was doing the same thing at cruising speed,and it was occasionally making a groaning sound when you come to a slow stop using the rear brake.I was thinking it was the rear brake pads but the sound appeared to be coming from the left side.The bad bearing was on the pully side,left side.

Quick Reply: Is the front wheel bearing a sealed unit?