Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every oil change is different

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Every oil change is different

So I have a 3 day rally coming up this wekend and since I am on call at work this week and have to drive a truck to and from home, no bike this week...I decided to change my oil after my last ride so I will be ready for the long weekend coming up. I dropped the drain plug to change the oil, replaced the oil filter, and put in 3.25 quarts of new oil. Check dipstick and it reads full cold on side stand? What the hell? Initially, during the first three changes, I was putting in 4 quarts and she was reading full but was over filled a little when hot. That's a given...So during the last change I sucked out enough oil to bring it down from full by 1/4 or so. It read full hot and then read full hot after that even when cold? Hence, I went by everyones recommendations this time around and did not even put in a full 3.5 quarts. I check it cold this morning and its still at the full mark dead cold? I'm trying to figure out wtf is up with that and why its different every time. I know the dealers don't go through all this trouble to get the level right. They probably just dump in the recommended 3.5 and call it good? I'm not sure I want to suck enough out to bring it to the 1/2 way mark when I did not even put in 3.5 quarts? Does anyone know how much the oil expands when hot? If I suck 1/4 out of the tank, I will have only added about 3 full quarts? Suggestions, leave it or take out more? Damn, an oil change shouldn't amount to rocket science!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
harleydavidone
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I use 3 quarts on my "02 & "03 softails & "10 SG, that brings the level to the mid to high range (each one is a little different) on the dip sticks. No messing with adding/subtracting, it works just fine like that!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

after filling oil tank, did you start the bike to fill the new filter with oil?

did you give the old oil enough time to drain out of the bike?- it wasn't on some angle which would keep some of the oil in place?

mike

Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
after filling oil tank, did you start the bike to fill the new filter with oil?

did you give the old oil enough time to drain out of the bike?- it wasn't on some angle which would keep some of the oil in place?

mike

I started it and let the filter fill. I also pour some oil in the filter before I install it. Drained the oil for 40 minutes on my flat garage floor until there wasn't even a drop still dripping out... Shouldn't be rocket science. I've been doing my own Harley service forever. This bikes different? I think I'm going to just go with it. If it pukes I'll know why!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think you're confused listen to this.........when I did my 1000 mile oil change I put in 3.5 qts, checked the stick and it was right on the full cold mark. After a day of riding I checked it hot and it was reading low. Let it sit another day and did the cold check again and it was right on full cold. So which should I believe? It appears to have more oil cold than hot, a first for me.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your thinking about it more than it really matters...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by gogogadgetbiker
I think your thinking about it more than it really matters...
I just don't want it puking oil all over my newest Harley Riding passengers leg!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't answer your question but changing oil is something I am very **** about. I drop the plug and let it drip until almost nothing comes out, pull the filter, cover the filter opening with a rag and crank the motor a few times. You would be surprised how much more old oil comes out. BTW, I use Amsoil synthetic. I have always been good with 3 and a half quarts. As long as it is not above or below the lines it is all good.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
If you think you're confused listen to this.........when I did my 1000 mile oil change I put in 3.5 qts, checked the stick and it was right on the full cold mark. After a day of riding I checked it hot and it was reading low. Let it sit another day and did the cold check again and it was right on full cold. So which should I believe? It appears to have more oil cold than hot, a first for me.
I think what you may be seeing is when cold, all the oil has drained back to the tank under the tranny.

When hot, a good quantity is up in the top end, in all the passages etc.
That would be the "missing" oil.

Mike

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM
FatherNikki
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Can't answer your question but changing oil is something I am very **** about. I drop the plug and let it drip until almost nothing comes out, pull the filter, cover the filter opening with a rag and crank the motor a few times.
When you say you crank the motor a few times do you pull the plug wires so the bike does not start up on you? Don't think i would want the bike running without oil in it for very long if at all.

Quick Reply: Every oil change is different