Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For 2-up riding, are you better off going with the RK over the RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question For 2-up riding, are you better off going with the RK over the RKC?

I like the looks of both the Road King and the Road King Classic but it looks like the pillion part of the RKC seat is pretty dang small. I know that it's made narrower to allow the leather saddlebags to open up all the way but it can't be very comfortable for your pillion, can it?

My wife is an average sized woman but isn't exactly a waif either, and not only is the stock seat on the RKC narrow but it seems to be a bit shy on the padding too.

Is there a way to get a decent-sized seat that's comfortable to fit on the Road King Classic or should I be looking at only the Road King standard?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah the passenger seat is a bit thin. A buddy has a Classic and changed to the HD seat that looks much like an Ultra seat.
The Classic has cruise control. Does the standard?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser

Cruise control is a $300.00 option on the RK.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

I've got an '11 RKC. The wife would get pretty uncomfortable after a short ride. I put a Harley Sundowner seat on it and problem solved. The driver's area is 16" wide and the passenger pillion is 14" wide and thicker. No problem opening the bags either.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser

So, even though you've now got a wider pillion seat on there, the bags are still able to open okay, hmmm.........that's good to know, thanks!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

No NVStevethe standard dose not come with cruise control, but the Classic dose. for the price a
Sundowner seat should make any passenger happy. Burstbucker go for the Classic if you can
get a deal on one.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another thought, if you ride two up on RKC, you will probably want a back rest (sissy bar) for the passenger. When you go with the four point mounting bracket, you almost have to add a kit that limits the opening of the bags. If you don't install this kit the top of the leather covered bags will get beat up. The kit works great but limits the functionality of the bags.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Another thought, if you ride two up on RKC, you will probably want a back rest (sissy bar) for the passenger. When you go with the four point mounting bracket, you almost have to add a kit that limits the opening of the bags. If you don't install this kit the top of the leather covered bags will get beat up. The kit works great but limits the functionality of the bags.
Older RKC used a longer bolt and thicker metal spacer/washer on the bike side/frame side of bag mounts. This pushed bags out away from frame. Makes opening easier although it does separate the bags about 1/4 inch further out from bike.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you plan on riding 2 up I suggest you get the standard RK with the hard bags and plan on your wife using 3/4 of the space.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
What's the kit number? I've already started to get marks on the bags.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: For 2-up riding, are you better off going with the RK over the RKC?