Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back from Sturgis... WOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Jerm21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got back from Sturgis... WOW

I decided to go to Sturgis the week before the big rally to enjoy the riding without all of the crowds. There were still plenty of bikers around and many of the venders were downtown and at Badlands HD. Riding the Black Hills was amazing… just breathtaking view after breathtaking view on a roads with more twists and turns that you can imagine. Also road to Devils Tower and did the Badlands. I even got charged by a buffalo (on my bike) while in Custer state park!

As they say… getting there was half of the fun! I did the trip solo. The trip was 8 days long (2.5 out, 2.5 there, 3 home) In those 8 days I covered 10 states and 4,094 miles. I also hit the National Motorcycle Museum in Iowa, which was worth the stop. It was an amazing ride! I got to see so much and enjoy the little conversations at the various stops I made.

I did this on my 2006 Electra Glide Classic with the stock seat. Highway pegs, a cramp buster for the throttle (no cruise), and a GPS really made things go that much better. The bike ran flawlessly and I felt great the whole time… even during/after the last day which was about 725 miles. Definitely a trip of a lifetime. If you haven’t been to South Dakota to ride the black hills, you should definitely put it on your “to-do” list.

I’ll try to post some pics once I get everything uploaded and shrunk down small enough to post. [[link to pics was added to post #38]]

- Jerm

Last edited by Jerm21; 08-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Everyone should do it once.

And by doing it the week before you avoided the crowds, traffic and price increases.

I bet you'll be back!

Mike

Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, whats up with the buffalo there !!........I got charged there too ! He come outta the woods like he had a payback for me !!.....just missed the back of the bike with the GF screaming in my ears ! Had the bike in 2nd gear WOT till he give up chasing.....could be I had a red bike ?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 AM
wild hog
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Man that sounds like an awesome experience! Good for you.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

The wife & I hope to make this trip next year.
I don't care about going during the crowded
times either.We've rode all over the southeast
now it's time to go somewhere else.I want to
take 2 weeks & stay off the interstate.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Yeah, whats up with the buffalo there !!........I got charged there too ! He come outta the woods like he had a payback for me !!.....just missed the back of the bike with the GF screaming in my ears ! Had the bike in 2nd gear WOT till he give up chasing.....could be I had a red bike ?
Buffalo bulls don't like being fk'd with...

Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
02FLTR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like an awesome time. Can't wait to see your pics!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, great trip. Sounds like you had a great time. I've done the exact same thing twice. There the week before the crazies. The riding is awesome! Everyone needs to get there sometime. Did you see Mt.Rushmore while you were there? Hope so. Ride safe.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Yeah, the area is really nice. I went every year from '72 to '08. It's definitely best to go before the "rally." The rally is for chumps. Prices skyrocket and cops everywhere trying to bust you for anything. The worst part is so many wannabes and trailer queens who have no business on a bike causing havoc from traffic jams to crashes. They learn to ride by video or one of these road cone courses and have no clue how to ride on the roads and canyons. It's sad that hardly anyone knows what the rally was about back in the day. It was some of the coolest flattrack racing, hill climbs, and drag racing going on up there. Guys who love bikes went to see or participate in the fun. unfortunately now it's a party for people who want to be a "biker" for a week out of the year. They go to places like the Fulll Throttle Saloon and pay twice the price for a beer and buy a T shirt and strut around because now they too are a biker just like the other nerds they are drinking with. Then the parade around Lazelle and Main Street overheating their engines and clutches since every bike must make a full stop at every intersection so the ten cops at the intersection can look them over.

I live about 400 miles from Sturgis and have a place to stay in Edgemont if I want. Maybe I'll go in a couple of weeks. For now I'll wait.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerm21
I’ll try to post some pics once I get everything uploaded
- Jerm
....... sounds like a great ride
... and yes ....... we want pictures !!

Quick Reply: just got back from Sturgis... WOW