Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back from Sturgis... WOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

When people learn that I ride a Harley, they often ask if I've ever been to the rally in Sturgis. My response: "Riding to Sturgis is on my bucket list, but not during the rally", and they look at me like I'm crazy. Your post makes me want to plan this trip even more. Please post pics when you can!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 349 Likes on 158 Posts

We went several years ago in early Sept. The craziness was over with, the t-shirts were cheaper, the weather was cooler, and we had an absolute blast. Gonna have to to that again.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Way to go and congrats on a good trip. I wouldn't want to go there with the crowds either. Your timing seemed to be good and that had to multiply your enjoyment. Caring nothing about the rally at all, I would probably plan a cooler time and ride the Black Hills in nippy weather.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...ahhh...a smart man indeed...who needs the crowds?..I love riding up around Laconia, but would never do it during bike week...congraats...pics please!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to the pics. By the way, there aren't buffalo anywhere near Sturgis... bison, yes. They are different animals.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

You are probably correct. But I dont think the cowboys that killed them called themselves bison skinners. Buffalo skinners sounds better. Don't think the red man referred to them as bison either. The term " has gone the way of the buffalo" sounds better than being substituted with way of the bison.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
Yeah, the area is really nice. I went every year from '72 to '08. It's definitely best to go before the "rally." The rally is for chumps. Prices skyrocket and cops everywhere trying to bust you for anything. The worst part is so many wannabes and trailer queens who have no business on a bike causing havoc from traffic jams to crashes. They learn to ride by video or one of these road cone courses and have no clue how to ride on the roads and canyons. It's sad that hardly anyone knows what the rally was about back in the day. It was some of the coolest flattrack racing, hill climbs, and drag racing going on up there. Guys who love bikes went to see or participate in the fun. unfortunately now it's a party for people who want to be a "biker" for a week out of the year. They go to places like the Fulll Throttle Saloon and pay twice the price for a beer and buy a T shirt and strut around because now they too are a biker just like the other nerds they are drinking with. Then the parade around Lazelle and Main Street overheating their engines and clutches since every bike must make a full stop at every intersection so the ten cops at the intersection can look them over.

I live about 400 miles from Sturgis and have a place to stay in Edgemont if I want. Maybe I'll go in a couple of weeks. For now I'll wait.

That's true.....It is VERY commericalized, and alot of RUBS....still a few real deal guys. Living 28 miles from there, I can tell everyone the riding is 10 times better when the rally isn't going on.

~Joe

Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

congrats to you, and glad it was safe. Waiting on the pics!
Kroozeabout.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like what we did last year. Rode from PA. to sturgis and even went into montana and wyoming,I loved every second. Between the four of us i think we took over 1200 pictures.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Sure like to see some pics. Wheres some good places to stay/see besides the obvious? Were going the week after and figuring on staying in Deadwood. Hope it doesnt live up to its name, and hopefully the crowd will be gone. Were doing a 17 day trip out of Calif to Sturgis, Glacier, Oregon to the coast and back home.

Quick Reply: just got back from Sturgis... WOW