Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/knocking in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 02:25 PM
Steel Wheels
|
Road Master
Default Rattle/knocking in gear

2010 FLHRC - began hearing an asynchronous 'heavy metal' rattle, noticeable in 2nd through 5th gears. Checked the obvious: rode rear brake, removed luggage rack, checked all exhaust/fender/footboard bolts and checked the iso-drive in rear wheel for wear.

Noise disappears when clutch is pulled in but not if the slack is simply taken up with a partial pull.

Changed trans/primary fluid and found powder on primary magnet; trans was clean.

Pulled primary cover to check comp bolt and clutch/starter. Nothing loose, but after 700mi. again found what I'd call an unusual amount of powder on the magnet.

What I'm experiencing only occurs after warmed up and at light/steady throttle. This seems to contradict what I've read of the compensator issues, and at 9k that seems a bit early.

Bike isn't ridden hard, and I'm a solo rider - any input on this would be appreciated.

Old 08-09-2011 | 08:21 PM
Steel Wheels
|
Road Master

Update. Experienced a LOUD bang/knock from primary twice last night, both times on left curves, repeated 1-2 times. Worse than I'd ever heard it - enough to scare me somewhat wondering if something was getting ready to lock up.

Took to dealer today and was told that if the compensator is the culprit they'd do the SE upgrade for the difference in cost. Can't imagine what else in the primary would cause this even if it doesn't jibe with what others have experienced.

Will post when bike is returned.