Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am replacing the rear shocks on '10 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

I have Ricor 13" on my FKHX. I started with the Ricor 12" sport tuned. While they were and improvement over stock I felt the ride was still a little too firm. I exchanged them for 13"' hybrid tune between cruiser and sport and they are fantastic. Bike soaks up most bumps and potholes and handle extremely well.

Best of all they have a 30 day money back guarantee. To the best of my knowledge no one else offers that.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Rossi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but I didnt care for the air shocks, either the stock or lowered types. Bought the Harley Touring shocks and it kept it "lowered" but rides 100% better for me. But, I apparently am an exception as most here wouldnt put them on because of the the "un-eveness" of the springs possibly causing stress on the frame.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just my 2 cents, but I didnt care for the air shocks, either the stock or lowered types. Bought the Harley Touring shocks and it kept it "lowered" but rides 100% better for me. But, I apparently am an exception as most here wouldnt put them on because of the the "un-eveness" of the springs possibly causing stress on the frame.
Are you talking about the new premium shocks?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
some folks have done it with good results. others, not so much. the only thing that concerns me about it is that using the lowering blocks does change the angle of the shocks, so road forces are not applied to the shocks at the same angle as they were designed for, which could have an effect on the ride.

from what i understand, if you don't go too low on the blocks, you aren't in any danger of bottoming out your tire against your fender/wiring harness, but it's still a good idea to check to make sure that that isn't a possibility. after all, on a street glide, you only have 2 itty bitty lights to warn traffic behind you anyway.
When I lowered my EG Classic 2", a really bad dip while riding 2 up would bottom it out. Not hard but I could hear the tire scrape. It still rode as smooth over the bumps as it did before the lowering blocks. Going to 13's on the Street Glide with a 1" drop should put me about right without bottoming out I would think.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Rossi
Intermediate

HighLiner, yup the Premium shocks. Have about 8000 miles on them on a 2010 Ultra Limited. The adjuster **** really does its job on adjusting, depending on load, like 2 up, solo, 2-up with gear.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 AM
2007SG
Advanced

I think these are more $$$$ then any of us want to spend but do yourself a favor and at least give them a call. A wealth of knowledge and can or talk with you to help you with your decision even if you do not go with Ohlins. JMHO.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

Good luck on your choice. I am struggling with the same questions but waiting on funds before I pull the trigger on final descision. Already spent some funds with less then expected results so planning on needing to spend a little more to get what is needed. Wife and I both have some back issues so ride comfort is becoming more imortant than just the look.

Confusing and frustrating at times but choices are a good thing. Price or cost well sometimes you just have to bite the bullet to get what you want or need.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
gasbrnr
Intermediate

I have the 940's on my FLHX which I bought on ebay for $475. Yes I was confused when I compared them with the stock shocks which were about 3/4" shorter. I called Progressive because I thought they were the wrong one's and they said they are designed to sag about 1" so you keep the same height while gaining travel! Apparently the shocks have a super light spring on top of the main spring which causes the sag. If you twist the adjuster on top you bottom out the light spring and firm up.
I think they ride much better then stock and would not go back to the air shocks.