Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Harley into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Harley into Canada

Well, I've officially been screwed.

In May, I bought a 2010 FLHTC in Maine to bring over to New Brunswick. The bike was very well priced compared to similar bikes in Canada. The bike still had a couple month of factory warranty left on it.

Last week, while in New England I had to stop to a Harley dealer to have a noise checked out in the primary. The dealer brought it in, checked it out, and I was on my way. No charge to me, dealer put it through warranty............or so I thought.

I get a call the other day from the dealer calls me up and tells me the Harley denied my warranty claim since my VIN# was blocked. I had no idea what he was talking about. I called my selling dealer, and he checked into it. Sure enough, since my Harley was imported into Canada, the VIN# is blocked until is passes a CDN inpsection that has to be performed by a CDN Harley dealer. Funny thing is that I had to have a federal inpsection done on the bike prior to being able to register it here. No issues whatsoever with the federal inspection.

So, now I'm stuck with a bike with a blocked VIN by Harley. That means no more warranty work, and no notifications about recalls, etc. If I choose to get a CDN Harley inpsection done, I can do so for about $700.

Now I'm just trying to find out if I'll be able to get an ESP plan added to the bike since the VIN is blocked.

This is my 1st Harley, and other than being a great bike, this experience sucks ***.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

These rules were imposed to protect the Candian delaers. Without these laws the Candian dealers can't compete with US elaers, as the cost for stuff int eh USA is ALOT cheaper.

Just pay the 700 and get it straightened out. Then immigrate to Maine.

~Joe

Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Originally Posted by traveler
These rules were imposed to protect the Candian delaers. Without these laws the Candian dealers can't compete with US elaers, as the cost for stuff int eh USA is ALOT cheaper.

Just pay the 700 and get it straightened out. Then immigrate to Maine.

~Joe
Protect them from what???

Since 2008, our currency has been on par with the Americans, yet we are still soaked with sticker prices up to $4000 more than the same US bike. We cannot see prices in catalogs, and hence pay considerably more for everything.

This is not in place to protect Canadian dealers, if anything it will hurt them on the service end.

This is in place to protect Deeley HD Canada and their monopoly on the CDN Harley marketplace.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Protect them from what???

Since 2008, our currency has been on par with the Americans, yet we are still soaked with sticker prices up to $4000 more than the same US bike. We cannot see prices in catalogs, and hence pay considerably more for everything.

This is not in place to protect Canadian dealers, if anything it will hurt them on the service end.

This is in place to protect Deeley HD Canada and their monopoly on the CDN Harley marketplace.
Exactly , to protect the monopoly that Fred Deeley created
or was asked to create.

"1953 Trev Deeley becomes the General Manager of Fred Deeley Motorcycles.

1973 Trev Deeley is asked by Harley-Davidson to become the exclusive distributor for Canada. He forms Fred Deeley Imports "

I live close to Point Roberts Wa state and thus have a US postal address and will be able to order parts via mail order and still save a few dollars either with exchange on the dollar or by dealer ship deals/sales.
Rob

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
Exactly , to protect the monopoly that Fred Deeley created
or was asked to create.

"1953 Trev Deeley becomes the General Manager of Fred Deeley Motorcycles.

1973 Trev Deeley is asked by Harley-Davidson to become the exclusive distributor for Canada. He forms Fred Deeley Imports "

I live close to Point Roberts Wa state and thus have a US postal address and will be able to order parts via mail order and still save a few dollars either with exchange on the dollar or by dealer ship deals/sales.
Rob
same old.... canadians f######g canadians....we gotta pay a premium for this **** weather ya know!!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
webbdog8
Road Captain

i say move to the states we are at least a little freer down here but i am guessing you can not do that anymore then i can move to Florida for better conditions

Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally agree, we are getting F*@ken robbed.

I talk to Las Vegas HD a few months back and there sales guy advised me that as of August 1st they cannot ship parts to Canada WTF, he explains that it is to protect Canadian dealers, BULLSHIT as are $$$ is at power to the US $$$ so the dealers are making WAY more profit BUT they are FN themselves in the long run.

We (Canadians) should be able to buy from who and what we like with out all the bullshit red tape.

Like fathertime says
same old.... canadians f######g canadians
my rant for the day.

Colin

Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fathertime
same old.... canadians f######g canadians....we gotta pay a premium for this **** weather ya know!!
That's why I moved to the USA and became a citizen. I was getting tired being Comrade Canuck.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another good reason i will be living in palm springs area within a couple years....

Old 08-05-2011, 01:34 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Whatever happened to free trade and competition? Oh, I forgot... that's what we USED to have... My bad!

Quick Reply: Importing Harley into Canada