Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Harley into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Supply and demand? Wouldn't you think that under NAFTA, the demand would stretch from CAN, USA and Mexico? That leaves only currency exchange. The laws of supply and demand apply to resources, not manufactured goods.

Canada has an over-abundance of softwood lumber, and the majority of all softwood lumber in the US in cut, sawed and cured in Canada. However, we still pay more for it as it comes out of our backyards.
And Taxes.

Then maybe supply and demand. There's what... 23 million in all of Canada and maybe 23 Million in LA proper or the State of California itself.

As for the lumber, if I'm not mistaken, the US government taxed the crap out of it to protect their own industry. Even though it was taken to court and told they were wrong, the damage was done and I think they are still doing it. I think the Canadian Government is heavily subsidizing the BC and other forestry companies in order to keep Canadians working.
That would be the main reason that Canadian softwood products are more expensive at home. We're paying the real price IMHO.

Monopoly?? Only in Canada??? For somethings. The States aren't much different, but it's State by State from my personal experience. Washington.. is there any other dealers than Kennwick??? How does Larson have Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes, VW, Dodge...etc.
Free enterprise...hmm.

Not saying that I'm 100% correct in my examples for Washington State. It was just an "off the top of my head" example that came to mind. There maybe one distributer in Canada, Deeley, then again I would think it would be naive to think that every single dealership in the States goes directly to MOCO for their orders. If I'd have to hazard a guess, I'd guess there are about 6 "Deeley type" of set ups in the States due to population and a longer than 7 month riding season. Then break down how many dealership owners are paying to have exclusive right to a certain territory or State.

Even province by province buying is an adventure due to taxes. I was told by John at Hogtunes to make my purchase through the dealership that uses Parts Canada. I only had to pay the 7% GST. If I bought directly through him in Ontario, not only would I have to pay the 7% GST but also a 7% provincial sales tax. 14% total. If I bought from a suppler else where I may also have a 3% harmonization tax tacked on as well? 17%

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not just supply and demand. Taxes take a huge chunk. I wish I was only taxed at a 17% range and not the 38% + I get hit at without overtime. I think it's relative to what you pay in the states to what you make per hour. My same job in the states will pay me $17 per hour less than what I make in Canada. Overpaid.... maybe, but over taxed as well.

Do I like paying more in Canada than the States. No, but I understand why.

To think your saving 2 to 5k on a bike, then pay shipping and brokerage fee's, out of country inspection, then out of province inspection, taxes bring the bike into Canada,... then the Deeley $700 tax.... time.... How much did I save? I'd have to get a hell of a deal.

It wasn't worth the hassle when I looked at it. Besides, I support my indy's and dealership equally. I'd hate for it come down to only one game in town. I also like to support businesses in my community. If they're not working, means I'm paying more for infrastructure and property taxes.

Just my simplistic view and my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with supporting local, but it has to make sense. There is no local CDN dealer here, closest being 300km away. Plourde's in Caribou is 15 min. away.

As for the extra costs and hassle? It cost me an extra $212 for the RIV fee, 72-hr waiting period at US customs, and 2 days of having the bike in my garage waiting for paperwork. All other taxes and fees would be the same had I bought here in NB.

The same model, except 1-year older, was selling for $3500 more here in NB - at the closest dealer 300km away.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Originally Posted by Heavy D
I agree with supporting local, but it has to make sense. There is no local CDN dealer here, closest being 300km away. Plourde's in Caribou is 15 min. away.

As for the extra costs and hassle? It cost me an extra $212 for the RIV fee, 72-hr waiting period at US customs, and 2 days of having the bike in my garage waiting for paperwork. All other taxes and fees would be the same had I bought here in NB.

The same model, except 1-year older, was selling for $3500 more here in NB - at the closest dealer 300km away.
Lol... Sorry, I had to go back and look to see it was used you were talking about. You got a good deal really. A 2009 $3500 more locally than what you paid for a 2010? Wow. Someone must of went on the nothing down and pay for 10 years plan.

Personally I've never been a fan of extended warranties as I generally mod my bikes ASAP. I'd keep the $700 in my pocket.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to concede some valid points wrt Cdn Taxes and perhaps being a bit too simplistic, but truly it comes down to what the market will bear, US , Cdn , Europe , etc , and what retailers think they can get for a product. I really don't think we have Free Trade between Cdn/USA in the purest sense, perhaps for some levels and types of manufacturing, but not for retail. Yes I have have seen the vehicle dealership conglomerations in certain geographic areas, but nothing that would compare to the Deeley example, picture the Deeley model in practice in the USA ..I don't see it, Hell even Bill Gates got taken down a notch we he tried the consolidation and monopoly gig , and hell he truly did have a legitimate monopoly ..he invented the software and OS. Anyways I am glad to see some thinking folks engage in some honest discussions that involve Bikes, but also the larger issues. Hats off to the "Thinking Bikers" !..goes to show we are not all about black leather and Beer, although nothing wrong with either , also good to see both sets of North Americans contributing, as I have served on both sides of the border,and the military tends to work things out pretty good. cheers,

Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
webbdog8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly doubt that there are on 7 seven dealer in the us that control the market. I actually had a conversation with someone at my local dealer that they order their bikes for the next year at a convention the moco puts on in the summer.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Originally Posted by webbdog8
I highly doubt that there are on 7 seven dealer in the us that control the market. I actually had a conversation with someone at my local dealer that they order their bikes for the next year at a convention the moco puts on in the summer.
Not really "Dealers".
Maybe "Distributors" or "Regional Managers" might be a better description? Not saying that dealerships control the market in the US. Deeley has a dealership... true, but they are the distributor/ Regional manager for all of Canada.

Someone has to decide who gets what allotment of specific bikes. Usually first shot goes to a dealership that may have surpassed sales quota's or other service's. An incentive if you will to entice dealerships to sell at a high volume.

Eg: My 02 Heritage. Special 2 tone purple/charcoal Grey paint with gold flake emblem. Never advertised. Never a paint option on MOCO's web site. Run of 1400 all models and family's.

How did I manage to get one? My dealership had the most sales in Canada the prior year and was offered first pick of some special one off limited run bikes.

Same can be said with the limited runs of CVO's. When the Crossbones came out, same thing. No dealer can order as many as he wants, and what he may want, may not be available to him. He needs more of a specific bike? He'll hit up the distributor or be going cap in hand trying to make a deal with another dealership. If a certain bike is not selling well in one part of the country, the distributor or manager may move them around.

That's where I was going with it.