Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Harley into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default not a dealy fan

the prices are down but not that down why should I pay more just because I live north of boarder usually prices are usually 2000 more plus that ever the exchange is. well guess what our dollar is worth more so why am i still paying 2 grand extra, Im sure dealy didnt pay the factory the us mrsp dealer price he got it for a alot less no doubt, parts are even more of a rip off, I live right on the border and there are at least 5 dealers 30 minutes from me, I can exchange my money and get more for it, go over to us dealer buy the part pay 5% tax then bring it home pay 13% at border and the part is still way cheaper, the parts under 100 bucks the customs guy usually dont even pull u in for.
Im not positive but I kind of recall seeing dealy name on old ads for jap stuff years ago as a distributor. I believe they finally cut him free and handle their one products, of coarse when your on the board of directors you can set up any sweet deal and do what ever u want

Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 AM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a bunch of horsesh!t. I bought my bike in Ohio and imported it. Huge savings on used bikes. I saved around ~$4K.

I don't care if its a HD or a gallon of milk, Canadians get fukt constantly even though our dollar is stronger. Why should I pay $5.50 for a gallon of milk when I can get it for $2.25 at Kroger. Pay twice as much for a bottle of Canadian club even though its made in Canada. A case of beer is $45 but I can get 2 cases at the duty free for $32. I'm buying a new car and the car costs $30k but don't forget to add the $3900 in tax

Any Canadian that lives in a border town and still shops in Canada is an idiot.

I feel better now.

Anyway, tell HD to keep blocking the VIN. Who cares-pocket your money and enjoy the bike.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

We were up in Canada a year ago & stopped at one of the HD dealership. Man, it's
"CRIMINAL" the prices you pay. You don't only get "SCREWED" but they don't use "ANY LUBE" to easy the 'PAIN"

Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, it's
"CRIMINAL" the prices you pay. You don't only get "SCREWED" but they don't use "ANY LUBE" to easy the 'PAIN"

Now this is a good description of how I feel when I have to buy from my local dealer

Colin

Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

There is no emotional attachment to buying domestically in Canada since all bike brands (except CanAm) are imported and customers are less brand loyal - so competitive pricing should be even more important here. HD are screwing themselves with their CDN pricing strategy.

Although cruiser style motorcycles are fairly popular in Canada. I would say cruiser style bikes make up ~50% of the bikes on the road, HD has a much smaller share of the cruiser market than they do in the US. The majority of cruiser style bikes I see on the road are Japanese. I would guess HD maybe have 25-40% of the cruiser market.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-06-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It funny how they say they are trying to "protect" the CDN dealers, when in fact it is driving people further away from them.

How "encouraged" do you think I feel now about going to visit one for service? Not very.

But, what does Deeley care? They should care, they are pushing people away from the dealers that keep them alive.

I'll keep going to Plourde's in Caribou, where I know I am welcome.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts are the really huge difference, and not just HD parts. The Hot Topper kit for my R/K is 178 dollars!!! at my local dealer, went over to American HD in NFNY and got it for 92..... Just pure mark up. My Bike insurance is 3200 a year with no collision, my car insurance is 2000 a year on a car thats book valued at 400 dollars (84 parisienne), Parts ordered from J&P Cycles 60 dollars shipping attatched to order, then another 45 here for duties, a THIRD of my wages are deducted for income taxes, and at the end of the year??? I dont get it back because they say i made TOO much...Granted here in Ontario we get boned harded than most provinces, but its unreal, I mean gas is just about 6 dollars a gallon, and 15 minutes later im over the border and its 4 dollars even cmon!!!

All of us Canadians are just full of rants waiting to escape ahahahha

Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
bullmack
6th Gear

I live in Wash. state and go up to BC a lot. Wash has a sales tax, Oregon does not. BC'ers all go to Oregon to buy their boats, RV's, ATV's. etc. Even before the Canadian dollar improved they still came out way ahead!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Red9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by uscanuck
That's why I moved to the USA and became a citizen. I was getting tired being Comrade Canuck.
Lmao!
Let me know how that works out for you...
Just reading the paper this morning and found out 45,000,000 Americans used food stamps last month.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 PM
SHAKEME
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KennyMay
Parts are the really huge difference, and not just HD parts. The Hot Topper kit for my R/K is 178 dollars!!! at my local dealer, went over to American HD in NFNY and got it for 92..... Just pure mark up. My Bike insurance is 3200 a year with no collision, my car insurance is 2000 a year on a car thats book valued at 400 dollars (84 parisienne), Parts ordered from J&P Cycles 60 dollars shipping attatched to order, then another 45 here for duties, a THIRD of my wages are deducted for income taxes, and at the end of the year??? I dont get it back because they say i made TOO much...Granted here in Ontario we get boned harded than most provinces, but its unreal, I mean gas is just about 6 dollars a gallon, and 15 minutes later im over the border and its 4 dollars even cmon!!!
Well I was about to tell you something about Harley Pricing in Germany. But the example you gave, just make me to say - Holy Cow!

But the best is:
Pay twice as much for a bottle of Canadian club even though its made in Canada.
Maybe reimported?

Ok, my example you buy a Speed Sensor for about $ 50,--. I pay almost $ 120,--. Shure there are freight cost for a 20 gramm Sensor and 4% Customs + 19% Vat. But still quite a gap.

Gas is $ 7,11 a Gallon and a 2011 FLHRCI costs $ 32.000

You see we all get tricked! But the best is - all the money they get, aint enough by far.

Quick Reply: Importing Harley into Canada