Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Harley into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You only have 2 months warranty left... screw the $700.. Let them block the vin..

Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

soudns like Fred Deeley is a smart guy

Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
soudns like Fred Deeley is a smart guy
no doubt... he apperently also has the "lock" on anything SONY imported to canuck land for the last 20 years or so....CA-CHING

Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Since 2008, our currency has been on par with the Americans, yet we are still soaked with sticker prices up to $4000 more than the same US bike.
Maybe I'm being overly simplistic here, but if there is that much of a price difference, wouldn't you still be way ahead if you just paid the $700 and had the inspection done?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Silverback2011
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the prices are closer that you think on new bikes, 2012 Vivid Black street Glide MSRP, USA $ 19,499 (Can$19,056.84) and Canada Vivid Black $ 21,399. From where I live the difference would get eaten up quickly in travel expenses and out of province inspection.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've made up my mind. I'll keep the $700 for the CDN inspection, plus the $1200 for the ESP, and make my own warranty. Hopefully, the $1900 will cover any major expenses that I might incur.

It's still a scam.....

Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought my 09 new locally,but I have been know to go south of the border on parts shopping spree's.I think it might be coming to an end though.The dealer I've been dealing with down there has quit sending me e-mails with their monthly specials.I think I'll get in contact with them and find out what is going on.I've had them ship stuff to me,but mostly we go down in the car and pick up in person.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I met a guy the other day who rode his new streetglide down here from Saskatchewan......had the dealer install a bunch of stuff and then rode home.

~Joe

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

40 dollars for a case of beer, we get ripped off on EVERYTHING!!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Well, I've officially been screwed.

In May, I bought a 2010 FLHTC in Maine to bring over to New Brunswick. The bike was very well priced compared to similar bikes in Canada. The bike still had a couple month of factory warranty left on it.

Last week, while in New England I had to stop to a Harley dealer to have a noise checked out in the primary. The dealer brought it in, checked it out, and I was on my way. No charge to me, dealer put it through warranty............or so I thought.

I get a call the other day from the dealer calls me up and tells me the Harley denied my warranty claim since my VIN# was blocked. I had no idea what he was talking about. I called my selling dealer, and he checked into it. Sure enough, since my Harley was imported into Canada, the VIN# is blocked until is passes a CDN inpsection that has to be performed by a CDN Harley dealer. Funny thing is that I had to have a federal inpsection done on the bike prior to being able to register it here. No issues whatsoever with the federal inspection.

So, now I'm stuck with a bike with a blocked VIN by Harley. That means no more warranty work, and no notifications about recalls, etc. If I choose to get a CDN Harley inpsection done, I can do so for about $700.

Now I'm just trying to find out if I'll be able to get an ESP plan added to the bike since the VIN is blocked.

This is my 1st Harley, and other than being a great bike, this experience sucks ***.
The only inspections legally required are a RIV inspection (checks for day time running lights and speedometer) and the usual provincial safety/roadworthy inspection. There are no other inspections required. What you are referring to has nothing to do with inspections but is a business issue with distributors like Deely in Canada.

Quick Reply: Importing Harley into Canada