Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RLAP How to Ride the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeff137
I wish they would show them lifting a big ole street glide or ultra instead of a sportster...

I expect the angle the bike would be in due to the crash bars would cause my street glide to touch only on the crash bars and the saddlebags. Of course I don't want anything to touch, but just wondering... I would like to learn the RLAP skills, but don't want to scratch the bike doing so.
Stop at the hardware store and pick up some pipe insulation to wrap your guards.

Old 08-06-2011 | 08:50 AM
SHAKEME
|
Advanced

I wish they would show them lifting a big ole street glide or ultra instead of a sportster...
The -first- video was a Sportster, second Video is a big one. Just check how its on the crash bars on the rear, without them it's the exhaust.

I think they'll teach you in little steps depending on the progress you do. Shure you can do this whitout having to lay it down.

But always be prepared for the unexpected!

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2011 | 05:40 PM
don g
Tourer

Good luck filtering through all of the advice. I'll add my two cents to further confuse you. The RLAP videos recommend to hold the throttle at twice idle speed and find the friction zone with the clutch. Riding in the friction zone while adjusting the speed with the rear brake will allow the bike to stand up. With this method it allows you to let off the rear brake if you need to accelerate to pick up speed if you feel that the bike is starting to go over. It takes a lot of practice for this to feel right but once you develop the technique your slow speed control will be much better.

As far as the handle bars, being able to get them into full lock comfortably is a big help.

Old 08-06-2011 | 09:38 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

IMHO RLAP method work great. I'm in stop and go traffic during the work week and thus my rear brake pads are changed every 10K. This method is your bread and butter for slow riding. Any one can ride a bike over ten MPH. The better rider's master slow riding.

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:06 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

This reminds me, I need to adjust mine. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-07-2011 | 08:08 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I expect the angle the bike would be in due to the crash bars would cause my street glide to touch only on the crash bars and the saddlebags. Of course I don't want anything to touch, but just wondering... I would like to learn the RLAP skills, but don't want to scratch the bike doing so.
Take your bags off and wrap the front crash bar in an old garden hose.

[youtube]BeLkrPkjimo[/youtube]

But every time I've dropped it, I've been so pissed at myself I've just jerked the thing upright.