Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return from the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Bago
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return from the Dragon

Just got back from a 2200 mile ride.Rode on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Maggie Valley, NC.Awesome rides through the Smokey Mountains and the Cherohala Skyway.Wednesday morning took off for the dragon.I saw this guy pass me as I rode from Robbinsville,NC and he was headed from Tennessee.Needless to say, I had to turn around and make a two hour detour around the Dragon, through the Foothill Parkway.I must of missed this accident by ten minutes.For those of you setting forth to conquer the Dragon, watch everyone else.The Dragon isn't difficult, it's everyone else on it.Not to mention the 2 deputies waiting to ticket riders coming off the dragon on the TN side.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/au...-motorcyclist/

Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately accidents happen waaayyy to often on that hwy. I personally have ridden it more than a few times....I also avoid the weekends as that's when the go fast - show off crowds show up....and I dont like the sight of blood. Next trip down try hwy 32 from the intersection of hwy 321 toward NC ...ride up until it becomes dirt and turn around and head back down. This I'll guarantee....you WONT have to worry about tractor trailers....and you'll have lots more fun.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 PM
myillearth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this trip from Philadelphia in June. We encountered a Tractor trailer on the dragon but all passed without incident.

One hell of a road

Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

did it may 20th with my son. Just good judgement is all it takes. Next day heard somebody died, don't know if it was true or not, just some riders said it was closed because they could not ride that day... we just let the speedsters go by. It was the ones coming towards me I was really worried about. cars and bikes. but yes a fun ride.
Kroozeabout.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master

Once youve done it once, cant see the need to do it again. To many great roads in that area with very little traffic or LEO to contend with.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

I ran that road in the late 80's when it was just US129 during my sportbike days. No fancy medieval names required. Only locals, very few MC's and no one on the road. Flash forward 20yrs and its a gong show. Too many people too many cops and too many semi's/winnebago's

Seriously what business does a semi have travelling that road???????????????

I agree with the others, tons of other great roads that are less travelled.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Once youve done it once, cant see the need to do it again. To many great roads in that area with very little traffic or LEO to contend with.
Very true, thats how I feel about Needles run in Dakota. Just not into that anymore.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

If anyone likes the Dragon, they should go out to Seattle on I-90 and head south on highway 1 to San Francisco. It amount to doing about 400 miles of the Dragon. It is as twisty as the Dragon and has elevation changes constantly with incredible views.

The Dragon is 30 minutes. Highway 1 is two days.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I retired and moved to East Tennessee 4 yrs ago. I live 80 miles from the Dragon. Been up there many times. I agree, 18 wheeler's shouldn't be on that road, but they have no other way to get accross the mtn except Cherohala or going up through Maryville and over the smokies. That would be way out of the way. I've never encountered an 18 wheeler on the Dragon. Maybe I'm lucky! I do understand why the Trooper's are there. The speed limit is 35 MPH, But biker's don't obey the speed limit. My Voltage Regulator went out on my RK a few weeks back on the way to a Rally in Maggie Valley. The Tow truck driver towed me over the Dragon to Smokey Mtn HD in Maryville. You should have heard the stories he told me about his rescuing biker's on the Dragon. He said it was mostly Crotch Rocket's, But he's pulled them out of the lake and almost every curve on there. Still some black marks where they went off. He said a lot don't make it past the first curve after leaving Deal's gap store.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I hate to hear that. I was just on the Tail of the Dragon July 25th. I went thru early and of course had no issues whatsoever. ANY mountainous road such as this allows for virtually no rider error/no daydreaming. Add a little too much speed to that AND a tractor/trailer in your lane and it could be over. I'm glad for sites sure as tailofthedragon.com that actually SHOW pictures of what can and does happen.

Quick Reply: Return from the Dragon