Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return from the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 AM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coolest thing about the Dragon is getting a tee shirt so everyone is envious that you rode the DRAGON.

Nothing special IMO.

Had a much nicer time on the Skyway, no crazies either.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Had to ride the Dragon to mark it off the bucket list. Personally I find many of the surrounding roads more enjoyable!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrsess
Had to ride the Dragon to mark it off the bucket list. Personally I find many of the surrounding roads more enjoyable!
I rode the Dragon last August with the wife aboard. It was a bucket list thing for us also. We rode up to Maryville and had a great time. Really enjoyed it. At breakfast the next morning we found out a guy was killed riding it the day before but we didn't know it. The ride back down was OK but slower and kind of somber. We may ride it again one day but it's mostly a "been there-done that" thing. Overall, it was a great trip up the Cherohala/BRP.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are much better roads in the area with much less traffic but I had to ride it last time there. New to me bike so had to do it again. I've done it on three different Ultras now.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife, myself, and 2 other couples are going to the Dragon on 8/10/2011. Saturday is the Dragon and Skyway, starting from the Pigeon Forge area and doing one large loop through Deals Gap, Robbinsville and stopping along the way at some POI's and up to Maryville HD and then back to Pigeon Forge. This is on all of our bucket lists, and our first time - hopefully no semi's, speedy crotch rockets, or fast cars going the other way hogging lanes.

On Sunday we want to go from the Pigeon Forge area to Maggie Valley to see the wheels through time museum... any suggestions on routes to/from, what also to see on Sunday that would take us by or through Maggie Valley and that area that is nice to see and ride? We also want to see some waterfalls - would love some suggestions.

TIA

Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what i ran into 2 months ago

Attached Thumbnails Return from the Dragon-smokey-mountains-6-11-026.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

part 2

Attached Thumbnails Return from the Dragon-smokey-mountains-6-11-025.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,171 Likes on 3,678 Posts

Originally Posted by cardoctor
part 2
That is when i stop and take a nice long break....

Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We where there 9-12Aug. The Dragon was ok I guess. I thought it was over hyped, but I rode it on a tuesday... Very little traffic.

Now Moonshiner28 was great except the Georgia stretch (tar snakes!!!)... I rode up that way from SC where we were staying with family and back. That was a fun ride, plus the different falls were neat and Highlands NC is a very nice town to visit.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timberland
Unfortunately accidents happen waaayyy to often on that hwy. I personally have ridden it more than a few times....I also avoid the weekends as that's when the go fast - show off crowds show up....and I dont like the sight of blood. Next trip down try hwy 32 from the intersection of hwy 321 toward NC ...ride up until it becomes dirt and turn around and head back down. This I'll guarantee....you WONT have to worry about tractor trailers....and you'll have lots more fun.
I agree this route is as good as the Dragon.

Quick Reply: Return from the Dragon