Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV's ruining the ECM's? Whats wrong with my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just returned a PCV to Jamie for the same problem, went to limp mode on two bikes that I tried it on, it is over a year old and Jamie will fix it, hard to beat that. In the meanwhile I use the FLXIEDs from nightrider till the PCV comes back from Jamie. Over the years I have sent a few back with Problems and Jamie has fixed these. I would buy another one for sure, all electrical products can have problems and Jamie gives a two year warrinty with his sales. Doc

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2007 Road King Classic with a PCV. A few weeks ago my rear cylinder quit firing. Threw codes for rear cylinder no combustion and rear cylinder coil / open/ shorted. I replaced the coil, same problem, I disconnected the PCV and ran the bike without it, same problem. I reconnected the PCV, same problem. But low and behold a few minutes later I started the bike again and it ran perfectly. Went for a short ride about 20 miles, the bike ran perfectly.

I am now at a loss of what the real problem was and if it is actually fixed or not ? I take long rides in the middle of nowhere and now have no confidence that the bike is reliable. Could it have simply been a bad connection at the PCV ? Will that throw these type of codes ?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
So the Magnuson-Moss Wty Act also covers things like the PC-V? I've been wondering about this lately after seeing threads on here of some dealerships calling foul on bikes with a PC-V.
No it doesn't. The M-M Act covers replacement parts and maintenance items, and in broad terms means that your warranty can't be voided if you use an aftermarket part. Your dealer can (and should) refuse to cover something that you screwed up. Your dealer can (and should) refuse to cover your blown engine if you've changed cams. Your dealer can't refuse to cover your stereo if you've changed cams, nor can he refuse to cover your blown engine if you're using Amsoil.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your warranty is void if you once hit the rev limiter. I call BS on the tech stating this he's a tech nothing more, he doesn't design the workings of the ECM and for all I know he probably has to look at the Manual to change oil.

The PCV is down stream from the ECM do if it starts to wig out it's bad period.

9500 miles on mine, no issues.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today anything electronic or mechanical could have problems. Does not matter what company it comes from. The real answer is which company supports their product! Having an intermittent problem can be a real pain but what is worse is when you do not have someone to support you!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Add me to the list of no issues.
Had a PC III on my last bike 26,000 miles and no issues. And 20,000 on my PCV from Fuel Moto this time, and I ride in all weather conditions. I do remove my PCV if I ever need to bring it in to the dealer, since I also have the stage one flash.

I think your dealer is just trying to scare you, they haven't tried to get you to buy a screaming eagle tuner yet have they?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Having gone through an Bad ECM and getting it changed through the Harley Dealer - and them not installing the right map - and it running like crud - and finally getting a PowerVision from FM - and seeing the wrong map in my ECM -going back to dealer - to HD- Yada -Yada - Yada.....

HD blames dealer
dealer blames HD
HD blames Powervision
dealer blames Powervision

They all act like it's some secret inner control...

Arm yourself with knowledge about how your harley and components work...and find a knowledgeable indy to purchase and get support from....like Fuelmoto.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
No it doesn't. The M-M Act covers replacement parts and maintenance items, and in broad terms means that your warranty can't be voided if you use an aftermarket part. Your dealer can (and should) refuse to cover something that you screwed up. Your dealer can (and should) refuse to cover your blown engine if you've changed cams.
But not unless the cams were shown to contribute to the problem. If, for example, a crankshaft bearing fails a few months after installing a set of cams that obviously isn't a factor in the warrantable issue. The point I'm making is blaming aftermarket parts for warrantable problems when there's no evidence that it contributed.

My understanding is that if you add an accessory the dealer can't blame it for a warrantable problem if there's no evidence that it contributed in any way. If a PCV is added they can't deny your warranty simply because the ECM goes on the blitz, making up a story that the PCV caused the problem, or cancel the warranty across-the-board if one is connected. Is this not correct?

Last edited by iclick; 08-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:12 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
But not unless the cams were shown to contribute to the problem. If, for example, a crankshaft bearing fails a few months after installing a set of cams that obviously isn't a factor in the warrantable issue.

My understanding is that if you add an accessory the dealer can't blame it for a warrantable problem if there's no evidence that it contributed in any way. If a PCV is added they can't deny your warranty simply because the ECM goes on the blitz, making up a story that the PCV caused the problem, or cancel the warranty across-the-board if one is connected. Is this not correct?
If the accessory is a set of camshafts and your crank fails, the dealer can (and most likely will) tell you that you're on your own for the repair, as the crankshaft was designed to make stock power only. It would fall on you to prove otherwise. The entire warranty cannot be voided because you added a PCV or a set of cams (or whatever), but the dealer is within their rights to refuse to cover something that either: isn't a stock part, failed due to a non-stock part, or failed because the owner broke it.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's the section of the U.S. Code that encompasses the M-A Act. It exists primarily to prevent dealers or manufacturers from requiring only their maintenance products to be used, or having their people do all maintenance.

Quick Reply: PCV's ruining the ECM's? Whats wrong with my bike?