Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV's ruining the ECM's? Whats wrong with my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=fuelmoto;8655960]Despite claims we have heard over the years from dealers and individuals claiming " a PC did this or that" with absolutely no supportive data I have yet to see an actual PC induced failure./QUOTE]

What he said.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
TCannon22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so worried that a PC is going to screw up my ECM and void my warranty that I think I am going to leave the brand new PC-V I just got from Jamie today sitting on the workbench...

till saturday!!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TCannon22
I'd have to agree with this..
Looks like the information goes from the ECM to the PC to the bike.
If it was sending info into the ECM I could see the claim that the PC messed up the ECM.

I did have a service tech at my dealer tell me that the PC uses the ECM as a ground though and any electrical glitches in the PC system could fry the ECM.
I have no idea if that's true, just relaying what I was told.
Someone in an earlier thread said he emailed DynoJet and was told this could not happen and Jamie at FM has already stated that he's never seen a verifiable case where this has occurred. I believe their statements since I've seen no evidence that would prompt me to believe otherwise.

But.. the same tech said that if I put the PC on my bike, my warranty was instantly voided. Really doubt that is true.
Well, that tells me something about the tech right there. Ask him to put that in writing, as such a policy would violate the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Ask him about using synthetic oil in your engine and he'll probably warn you that it will make your bearings skate and destroy your engine.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Someone in an earlier thread said he emailed DynoJet and was told this could not happen and Jamie at FM has already stated that he's never seen a verifiable case where this has occurred. I believe their statements since I've seen no evidence that would prompt me to believe otherwise.

Well, that tells me something about the tech right there. Ask him to put that in writing, as such a policy would violate the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Ask him about using synthetic oil in your engine and he'll probably warn you that it will make your bearings skate and destroy your engine.
So the Magnuson-Moss Wty Act also covers things like the PC-V? I've been wondering about this lately after seeing threads on here of some dealerships calling foul on bikes with a PC-V.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my PCV from Fuel Moto about 8000 Miles ago and I have had 0 problems....... Not even a hiccup

Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCannon22
But.. the same tech said that if I put the PC on my bike, my warranty was instantly voided. Really doubt that is true.
I'm not worried about my PC-V voiding my warranty. I've already voided it by riding my bike with non-Harley jeans.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, I have no data or supporting evidence to support my following claim. Having run a PC on my last 2 bikes (PC III and PCV) for over 100K, I had water problems in the PC III connector (was able to finally wrap in plastic and keep it dry) and then I had cutting out problems with the PCV. Also the PCV would not allow my tach to respond beyond 5,000 RPM. I decided on this new bike not to have a piggyback system on the ECM and went with a SEPST, along with a Dynotune. Now after 6K with the SEPST I have had none of the above problems and I just rode 300 miles yesterday with speeds between 45-70 and got 49.6 mpg. I am happy with the SEPST and (knocking on wood) hope to have no issues going forward. This bike is the smoothest running Harley I have ever owned. Again I can't explain why, because to be honest I am not schooled on how to tune these new electronic tuners, just my experience.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 30,000+ miles on my 09 Ultra with a fuel-moto PC-V , it has performed great.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

I can not say that I have seen a pc damage the ECM...But I have had bikes towed to the shop that would not crank and have multiple eng. codes...I would disconect the power commander crank the bike and the codes would disappear...I am not saying it is a bad product...But I have seen my share of failures with them...We have to remember that any electronic product on a motorcycle is in a hostile environment... The heat ...vibration....the moisture...Plus after seeing some of the rats nest of wires that have been added under the seat of some of these bikes by adding glo lights and any electricle gadget that can be added...I can't believe that they haven't had a total melt down.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM
donf610
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test rode a 2011 RGU w/62 miles on it and it went into limp mode, dealer had to pick me and the bike up. Wasn't no pcv on it.

Quick Reply: PCV's ruining the ECM's? Whats wrong with my bike?