Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:35 PM
gerkamming
|
2nd Gear
Default Rain?

So, do we tour in the rain.......?

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:40 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

only if I gotta be somewhere , or for periods of light rain, where the sky looks better ahead.

I worry a little about my traction control and comfort- in blinding rain i worry about the ***** who can't see me and drives like nobody else is on the road.

If I were touring and woke up to a day of heavy rain, I'd probably stay put and read my book.
I always add extra days to my plans just in case

Mike

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:43 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

Only if we are friggin idiots.

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:48 PM
dusty6700
Cruiser

I usually ride my bike to work, cuz it saves me $5 in gas! It's not worth the 2hrs of cleaning for me ride in the rain....if i can help it. If i'm out riding already when it starts raining.....i'm not stopping to wait it out!

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:48 PM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser

It's only water......we tour.

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:49 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Last year, went to Sturgis. When I left home it looked like rain. 75 miles later it was DUMPING rain. Road through that for about 150 miles, then it cleared up. Got caught in a hailstorm just outside of Hill City South Dakota. Got caught on the way home with another deluge pretty much in the same area as when I left home.

Had a great time.

That's why I have a rain suit.

Old 08-04-2011 | 02:52 PM
D2R
Banned

You do if you're 2k mi. away from home like I was in June and have 4 days to get there.I didn't see the sun for 3 1/2 days on a return trip to the east coast.Riding in the rain isn't that bad with good rain gear,a fairing,good tires etc.

Old 08-04-2011 | 03:07 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

When I am at home and if I were to just go riding I would not leave in the rain usually..But I have been cross country or traveling and have certainly rode in a lot of situations that I would have liked to been able to avoid a time or too.Never have owned a rain suit,just use my leathers,figured if by chance I am going down that I would rather be dressed in leather..As far as traction goes I always keep good tires on my bike and since the E3s have been available they are a fine addition on wet roads..

Old 08-04-2011 | 03:08 PM
horseplay
Road Master

Picked up our new bike last Fri night, met a buddy early Sat morning with the wives. We rolled out, nice and sunny. Well about 15 miles before our lunch destination we saw a bolt of lightning. 5 minutes later its pouring its *** off on us. We are in the middle of nowhere in Northwest GA, my buddy and his wife pull over to put on the raingear, we have none! So my buddy gives my wife his raingear, we ride to our lunch spot, look at the radar and decide we might as well ride home in the rain because it could last for hours. We put around 280 miles on the bike that day and more than half of those were in the rain.

We ordered rain gear as soon as we got home, it sucked but I learned alot about riding in the rain, which I think everyone should experience. My wife actually laughed about it all day the next day while we were riding in the heat!

Old 08-04-2011 | 03:26 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

How is it possible to tour and NOT ride in the rain? You'd have to be retired and willing to wait out a lot of weather.

Quick Reply: Rain?