Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011 | 05:45 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I go.

The weather is the weather.

Old 08-04-2011 | 05:59 PM
LRFDe6
Intermediate

Rain don't slow me down much. Snow, hail, ice, high winds, been there done that. Actually picked my ultra during a tornado watch. The trick is gear, I have a Darian 2piece from aerostich, and as long as I can see and keep tires on pavement I get to where I'm going.

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:20 PM
Route66rider
Tourer

For me, riding in the rain is just part of the experience. I been wet before, and I expect that I will be again. About the only time weather slows me is if it is in the form of SNOW!
Never let a bit of rain keep you off your ride.

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:24 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master

Mine is my daily rider and my wife drives our only cage so yes ... rain, shine, cold, hurricane, etc...

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:24 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

I'll ride in the rain but I won't leave in the rain. Coming home from Myrtle Beach (7 1/2 hour trip) 30 minutes into the trip, the bottom fell out and never let up the whole way. The most miserable riding experience I've ever had. I'm a little more gun shy now.

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:33 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Arizona
I don't let rain hold up a road trip. If it's just a daily ride here or there I rarely ride in the rain unless I'm stuck someplace and I have to. A planned vacation/road trip I roll with it and go.

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:44 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Back in mid June we ( my son and I) had a trip planned for the BRP from Illinois. This trip entailed riding the length of the sky way and spending the week on the BRP camping as we go with no real agenda other than ride, eat, camp and repeat. As the trip date approached we watched the weather. The morning of the trip on the weather channel website the forcast showed the next 10 days straight of solid thunderstorms. We still left as planned and rode through some pretty nasty downpours. But I cant tell you how much you will enjoy the experience of riding through a gusher and then to suddenly see bright blue shies. Anyone that has experienced this will know what I am speaking to. This trip was very enjoyable and if we were afraid of the rain we would have missed a great experience. So to answer the OP'S question, absolutely ride in the rain and just make sure you have the right gear and all will be right with the world.

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:44 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I got caught in a storm last year that dumped over 2" of rain in half an hour with 60-70mph winds. That was no fun, and I won't do it again. Anything less, I ride.

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:49 PM
BigMike17
Road Master

Yup...mos t recent example a few weeks ago. Wife and I were planning a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway for our anniversary. Had a sitter for the kids and a place to stay reserved. Watched the weather forecast all week long, nothing but rain, rain, rain predicted for Friday when we were leaving out. when Fri came, same story. Bad rain/storms moving through the area. What a great wife I have, she said, who cares, let's ride. So, threw on the rain gear and headed out. Hit some nasty hard rain for a bit but then the clouds parted and we had great ridin' the rest of the weekend. Can't beat that...and what a lucky guy I am to have a wife who didn't whine and complain about getting wet. She was all into the ride too!

Old 08-04-2011 | 06:53 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't mind rain. As long as I can see Im good. I have had to pull over because of not being able to see the road. I have pulled over for hail too.

Quick Reply: Rain?